tire size recommendations (yes I searched first)

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

tire size recommendations (yes I searched first)

Post by violent b »

I just got done lowering my Astro (pics to come later), DJM flip kit in rear, up front DJM 2" spindles and 2" DJM springs. The lowest part of the front bumper is 4 fingers away from the ground, and I love that! currently I have some bobo 15" wheels that came with the van and 235/65/15 tires on them. the tires in the front are so tight in the fender that I can't turn the van. The passenger side tire rubs the fender right now. I need to get it aligned but I can't drive it yet.
So my question is: I plan on getting 17" x 7" rims really quick like (I need advice on backspacing) and I need a tire that would sit flush with the lip of the rim but also allow me to turn. What should I go with?
I have seen 235-45-17's recommended. would that be a flush look on a 7" wide wheel? I have looked through both Astro/Safari fourms and didn't really find the answers I was looking for.
So someone please help me get my Astro on the road.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

urbanp8nt
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: tire size recommendations (yes I searched first)

Post by urbanp8nt »

I use to live in Deland and Debary. I was just in deltona last month.On to answering your queston.With a 7" wide wheel you will want a 3.5" or 4" backspacing.You can not use any more than a 4"backspacing with 17 because it will hit the tierod.Hope this helps...... :guitar:

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

on a 7" wide wheel and for it to sit flush with the rim a better bet is going with a 225/45/17...this is a tried and tested fit. it's what i've always run.....since i had a 8" rim on the back i used to run a 245/40/17....again flush with that one.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Topic author
violent b

Post by violent b »

thanks for the replies. I'm wheel hunting this week. hopefully I'll find something I like.

Topic author
violent b

Post by violent b »

so I found a wheel I like, it's 17 x 8. I'll probably be running a 235/60/17 or a 235/55/17. the old rims that are on the Astro now are 9" wide front and back so that would explain why the tires are hitting the fenders. hopefully I'll the rims and tires shortly.