Locking gas caps

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Locking gas caps

Post by ihatemybike »

Think this is the right forum...

Anyway, with gas being sooo expensive and our tanks being quite large (relatively), I've been thinking about getting locking caps. Anyone know where caps can be bought with a tumbler that can be made to work with the factory key, without paying stealership prices?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: Locking gas caps

Post by Kidhauler »

I wouldn't bother too much with the locking cap. I have never seen one yet that you can't open when it is locked. I used to work at the local emissions testing centre and we had to pop the cap to test it. I could open basicly every cap just by pinching the sides and turning. The locking gas door will keep out 99% of people but if someone is dedicated to the cause they will get the gas and might do extra damage to your van ripping the cap apart.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Really, that easy to pop them...good to know.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

I have a locking gas cap on my van. I got it because someone DID steal my gas (my gas door is gone, so the cap is out for the whole world to see) Since then, no one has stolen my gas, even though the locking mechanism quit working over a year ago. It doesn't matter though, people see that it has a lock and don't try to mess with it. It just a visual deterent, and most of the time, that's all you need...
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Southern
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Southern »

The gas door is also very easy to open from the outside. A few years back my gas door wouldn't open due to the freezing weather (cable froze) so I used my car key and inserted it in the gap where the latch is located and the door popped open.
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

Southern wrote:The gas door is also very easy to open from the outside. A few years back my gas door wouldn't open due to the freezing weather (cable froze) so I used my car key and inserted it in the gap where the latch is located and the door popped open.
most astros ive seen, mine included dont even have that feauture in the first place you just open them right up no latch, but yeah some of the older ones have it and they normally seem to be pretty loose and easy to pop open.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Southern
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Southern »

GnarliSafari wrote:
Southern wrote:The gas door is also very easy to open from the outside. A few years back my gas door wouldn't open due to the freezing weather (cable froze) so I used my car key and inserted it in the gap where the latch is located and the door popped open.
most astros ive seen, mine included dont even have that feauture in the first place you just open them right up no latch, but yeah some of the older ones have it and they normally seem to be pretty loose and easy to pop open.
I forgot about the newer Astro's. Several years ago I was using the company 01 Astro and when I went to fill up the tank I was looking all over for the gas door release to find out that there wasn't one.
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi