major headache

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: major headache

Post by skippy »

Post subject: Re: major headache Reply with quote
Bill's right, try blocking off the EGR with a plate. You have nothing but a gasket to lose...
did that , no change . ](*,) ](*,)
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I can't read all this again but have a couple of things to add that may not have been mentioned. Seems you said you had good spark,,what did you do to know that ? The reason I ask is, if you pulled a wire and could see the spark, this doesn't mean you have the amount of fire you should have. Question is,,how much spark do you have at the plug, not wire to plug ?
If this isn't it, I still say it's in the dist. Don't know how the 4.3 dist. are made but know on the old HEI's the base can actually turn on the shaft if the press fitting becomes loose. When you speed up the base will turn and throw the timing all out of wack. Check the dist parts again,,not the electrical parts but the parts that make up the bare dist.

Are there new plugs installed and if so, have you flooded it after you put new plugs in ?

Also ran in to the same issue when my son and I swapped a larger intake on his Camry. Idle would go way up, then drop back down over and over,,,this was an O2 sensor causing this on his Toy.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

if it was bad spark it would not start and keep running if you feathered the gas peddle . firing order has been checked dizzys been checked over by at least 2 good mechanics . all plugs ,wires have been replaced . its not flooding itself out . for external componants on the 4.3 we have 2 of just about everything , with exception to things that are not interchangable like the TPS just about everything from my 88 is the exact same parts that are on his 92 & we still have all those parts , they have all been swaped or replaced with new or known good parts .

i'm leaning towards a vaccum leak we can't track down or a faulty TBI .his original TBI was replaced but who knows if was a good one or not .

if anybody has a TBI unit , intact please, they want to donate or sell fairly cheap ,please let me know . i would prefer one that was pulled & working when pulled . its gotta be from a 91 to 93 cuz the earlier ones are different & so are the later ones . little changes like hose connections & different TPS units but changes never the less .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

skippy wrote:

Post subject: Re: major headache Reply with quote
Bill's right, try blocking off the EGR with a plate. You have nothing but a gasket to lose...
did that , no change . ](*,) ](*,)

Come to think of it, that was a stoopid idea. What the heck was Bill thinking? :dunce:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

there are no stoopid ideas ,just need one that will get this pig up & running again !!!!

DAILY THOUGHT:

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

If it's a vacuum leak something must have a small crack somewhere. There's a long hose back to the gas tank, have you checked that one all the way back?
on another note, with an HEI system, the spark from the coil wire to the dist cap should jump a gap almost 3/4" when tested. If it doesn't, the voltage from the coil is lower than it should be. I've been chasing a not start, stall at highway speed issue on one of my jeeps, this is one of the kernels of info i ran across in my research.

The only other thing I've seen like this that was so hard to diagnose was a pulsator between the fuel pump and the fuel line in the gas tank. I doubt that with a tbi system you have a pulsator,, but a pinhole in the rubber tube between the pump and fuel feed line will cause the same problem. man I am runnin out of ideas. bad valve maybe?

petey, Bill was trying to help :poke:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

The spark is fine guys , i get a good hot spark at better than a 1" gap . just short of going over gthis thing with a magnifying glass , i don't know what to do next .

DAILY THOUGHT:

s10-den
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by s10-den »

Did you say you checked the tps???Or do you think its the whole TBI unit?
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

TPS has been replaced & checked , IAC was replaced &set to factory specs & adjusted hoping it would make a difference , FPR was replaced with new , throttle body was replaced with a used one & rebuilt & all listed parts put in it . but who knows , i'm trying anything at this point .

i'mthinking worn throttle plates now ,hoping another tbi might help

DAILY THOUGHT:

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Sooo,Skippy your saying it starts off starting fluid??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

No gary , its starts just fine , just won't stay running .

DAILY THOUGHT:

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Hows the terminal on the oil pressure switch? is it corroded or loose,broken off? just a stab in the dark.

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Sorry Skippy.This thread has gotten so long it is hard to keep tract.So you checked the fuel pressure as it is running??.Could it be the pump can't keep up??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by ScottS »

Try to think why feathering the throttle helps keep it running- does it die because it is lean or rich ? by feathering the throttle are you giving it more air , more fuel , both ?

I suspect there is something going on with the TPS - is there a pedal position sensor ? or just the TPS ?

If teh TOS needs to be moving to keep it running, that could mean that the idle signal isnt getting through , or the TPS is in the wrong position or you have the wrong TPS on the van

Follow the wires from the TPS and check all the connections- it could be just feathering the throttle is wiggling a wire somewhere.
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

oil pressure switch is fine ,fuel pressure is in good parameters , The TPS was replaced & checked for proper operation with my meter .

DAILY THOUGHT: