what can the stock astro beat?

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: what can the stock astro beat?

Post by 92astro »

the only thing that i have raced with my astro is a 2002 ford tarus with the 3.0 liter durtec 24valve engine see he was being cocky and i said lets settle this with a race so we did and i beat hime by 4or5 car lenghths. that shut him up! :muhaha:
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i still stand by my words, i seldom drag or go out looking for drag races as it is just a van and i would like to keep my tranny....but when some @554013 in a honda or a suburu or most other popular teenager "fast and furious" cars tries to race me off the line i cant help but to blow them away. like i said i get only a couple car lengths ahead before they fly past me or i stop trying, but off the line they are pretty suprising. i dont exactly think i could be a vette or anything too exotic but kids who suck at driving stick or have auto "sports cars" beware!
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Add to the list a Camery.Man if I keep this up I could get me self in a mess of trouble huh. 8-[
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

maybe i'm just getting old
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

crash wrote:maybe i'm just getting old
You're only old when you start admitting to it.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

k120189

Post by k120189 »

i beat a cavalier and a sunfire and a wrx hatch (kid didnt know how to
shift). also came close to beating a v6 stang but my tranny slipped too much
depends on the gears and what tires your running. these vans have some grunt off the line...oh yea also killed both a gen 2 and gen 3 eclipse (same owner) many times..kid always had and excuse

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

These must be really bad drivers - I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Wagon with a 2.4L (160HP) auto and it would chew up and spit out my Astro for a light snack. You must be kidding my old Mazda Protege with the 2.0L (130HP) 5 speed would also kill the Astro. Seriously a stock 4.3 Astro probably won't beat much, maybe a 3 cylinder firefly but not a turbo 3 cylinder firefly, might also do a good job with a 4.3L in a fullsize truck or Dodge fullsize trucks with the 3.9L
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i also have the 3:73 posi rear which may be why mine is so jumpy, trust me even if i am not paying any attention to who is next to me or what they are driving, and i am not even trying to race or even really stepping on it my van jumps at the line. now add a aforementioned cocky teenager in some riced out honda next too me clearly trying to race me i am going to give it a little more gas, in these situations i still seldom even floor it, but have no problem blowing past them, like i also mentioned i normally only give it off the line and then let them pass me as i dont need any more tickets but at least mine has a bit of get up and go.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Yep i agree with all of the above. My wife's cavalier with a 2.2 liter and a 5 speed would get up and boogey. I can beat a fully loaded semi, :muhaha: and most diesel pickup trucks on the road ( even with their 3" exhaust and "hot" chip, boy do they get pissy).
Old beater hondas with a fart can are no problem, but a 4.3 with throttle body injection and a 3.23 rear end isn't for racing.
now, if i had a 3.73 like Gnarli, that might be a different story...Hmmm Christmas is coming, maybe Santa will bring me ring and pinion set.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

My old 91 honda civic Si would stomp on a stock astros.
Ask Stephanie,she hated my old honda because she could never get in front of it.
I like my van for other reasons then HP or speed.
If I want to go fast,I'll buy a bike.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

k120189

Post by k120189 »

yea a civic si is a little speedster i'll admit my cuz had a 94? with the jdm sirg swap thing would do 120 easy :-D

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs