gauge problems

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
jeff hosford
I am smitten with my van

gauge problems

Post by jeff hosford »

I have a 93 safari with gauges. The problem is my volt meter and the water temp dont work. The volt meter is all the way down. While the temp. gauge is all the way up. Was hoping someone has had the same problem as me. So I thought I would ask and try to save some time. I replaced the temp sending unit hoping that was it and it was not. The van does not overheat and it charges just fine its just. Would like to have all my gauges working. Any Ideas would be great.

92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: gauge problems

Post by 92astro »

thank god someone has a similar problem that i do okay here it is all my gauges work except my water temp. and gas gauge the water temp. gauge will read incorrectly let say for an example it is 70 degrees outside the van has been siting over night the temp. gauge will read 150 then if i turn the van off for 10 min or so the gauge will read something totally different like cold or the middle basically the gauge never starts from the cold mark my van has never overheated either. i have replaced the temp. sender for the gauge and i got the same result i have not try to replace the gauge cluster yet i am gonner go to the pull a part here soon and get one i beleive that is my problem the gas gauge is the sender unit. my van is a 1992 astro TBI engine if you find out what the problem is please let me know.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Both you guys need to pull your gauge clusters out & give the electrical connections a good cleaning & look over for cracks or burn spots . all electrical connections expand & contract as current flows , in time they will make a bad or broken connection if not tended to occasionally.when you do pull the clusters you'll see how cheaply made they were & after a good cleaning & some new di-electric grease installed , i'll bet they work again unless something is shorted out which you should see if thats the case .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

92astro

Post by 92astro »

thank-you alot skippy! how hard is it to take out or look at the connections on the gauge cluster on my 1992 astro?
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

its not that bad to get to , your lucky in the fact that you have an electronic speedo connection , the speedo on my 88 was cable driven . what a PIA that was to get out .

the best thing to do if your going to be fixing alot of little things in the van is to get a Haynes manual for your year van , chiltons suck & give alot of misinformation . A factory manual would be best but thier hard to come by .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay skippy i have been looking into my gauge cluster problem the problem i am having is that the benz arould the gauge cluster i got all the screws out and i pulled it out a little but how do i take the benz completly off so i have enogh room to get to the 2 bottom screws for the gauge cluster???

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

The word is BEZEL.

Have you removed the temp levers or the switch cluster yet?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

92astro

Post by 92astro »

i disconnected the headlight and dimmer switch connecters but not the HVAC connecters i was afraid that it would be hard to get back together is the vacume hoses a harness or indiviual??

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

its been awhile but i don't think you have to disconnect anything on that side , just unscrew the ac/heat panel & you should be able to get the bezel off around it . then you can get to all 4 screws that hold the dash in place .

DAILY THOUGHT:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

And once again our resident spelling teacher comes through.......and you are correct again. =D> :muhaha: Now back to our regular program. I recall back in the 80's the GM gauges had individual voltage regulators. You could change them quite easily. Do the newer gauges have them? I don't know as all of my gauges work properly. It could be a source of the problem. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

And once again our resident spelling teacher comes through.......and you are correct again.
i'm glad he did cuz i was still tryin to figure out what a benz was !! #-o #-o :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

DAILY THOUGHT:

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

I think a Benz is one of them fancy sets of wheels. They have a 3 pointed star on the front end and they can really scoot! One of them has a bi-turboed 5.6 l V12 and can drive at 175 mph all day long.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage