belt noise

Topic author
DANVAN
I get chills without my van.

belt noise

Post by DANVAN »

I have a new to me 2000 astro, with an annoying belt noise.

If I hold a small wire brush on the inside of the belt, the noise goes away for a few minutes then returns.
Ive also ran the engine with this wire brush on every pulley and the alternator seems to be the one that makes a difference, but again, soon as I remove the brush the noise comes back.

Im not sure if buying a new belt will fix this.

Can I put any thing on the belt? Lube or belt dressing?

Has any one seen this problem before? Do I jus need a belt?

The guy I bought it from said it never made noise when he drove it, started after it was park at his house for a few months, he felt some corrosion had gotten on the pulleys and would burn off, but Ive driven it for 200 miles so far and its no better yet.

Dan
Dan
2000 LS Astro, fully loaded- the daily driver, 2WD, 3.23
1993 B250 Dodge van, fully custom- the weekend driver 5.2, 3.91
and 3 ATV's

92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: belt noise

Post by 92astro »

i would just replace the belt and clean the pulleys with a brush and yes when a vehi. sets for a while the belt will dry up and become nosiey
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: belt noise

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I agree...put a new belt on it. Who knows if that one is original anyways. It'll be a great time to check all the bearings on the idlers, tensioner, alternator, water pump and power steering pump.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy