how durable is the AWD hardware?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

how durable is the AWD hardware?

Post by pengyou »

The more I drive my stro the more I like it, the more I can think of things to do with it the more I wish I had AWD. I have seen some vans about my year that have awd but they also tend to be high mileage. (If i picked up another one I would like to stick to a 95 or 96 because these years and later had 2 air bags - a wife and mother-in-law ;) How much would it cost to do a pretty thorough overhaul of the AWD hardware? I recall reading that the AWD is designed to improve handling on the road in normal driving conditions, in bad weather and can also help on dirt or gravel roads, but was not designed for off-roading. Are the AWD more likely to be passenger editions or cargo vans?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

Spike99

Re: how durable is the AWD hardware?

Post by Spike99 »

If you do lots of surfing in Auto-trader or other van/truck sales flyers, I'm sure you'll find an Astro/Safari AWD van that you like. Also search a few used vehicle dealers in your area as well. It may take 2-3 months but as gas prices go upwards and winter weather comes to a closure, more folks tend to sell their "gas pigs" AWD vans.

For my 2001 Safari AWD, my wife & I "stumbled" upon it - within our local used vehicle dealer. We used to have a previous 1995 RWD Safari vehicle and bought a used 2001 AWD Safari - as a replacement tow vehicle. If a RWD van was sitting beside an AWD System, we probably would have bought the RWD van instead. But that's a different story. In some ways, our new (2001 AWD Safari) van has been awesome for high traction needs. Especially in snow and ice conditions. And, for pulling our canoe trailer across sandy beach heads. To this day, I've yet to get our AWD Safari van stuck. That's how impressive its AWD system has been - for my high traction needs.

However, my 2001 AWD Safari is a "gas pig". And, its driving behavoir "is a slug". It has take-off power like a slug, it has stopping power like a slug and its steering is sloppy - even with a new steering box and idler arm replacements. Our other vehicle (our spring/summer/fall "run about" vehicle) can drive circles around our 2001 AWD Safari. Without hesitiation, my other vehicle (2003 FWD Buick Rendezvous) is much funner to drive. But, our Buick RDV cannot pull a trailer. And, it doesn't have 3 rows of passenger seats either. And in winter ice/snow, its FWD system is useless as well. Thus, why our Safari van (even with its factory "slug driving behavior") is better for some driving conditions. For example, taking my kids down icy winter roads. Or, pulling a utility type trailer. Especially while driving on sandy beach heads.

So far, the durablity of my 2001 Safari AWD's system has been "ok". It needed a tranny rebuild (2 years ago at 60k miles) and its transfer case needed new gaskets (1.5 years ago) but overall, its AWD system has been "solid". Good for my passenger, small trailer towing, winter traction and sometimes rough logging trail driving conditions. Then again, we only drive my 2001 AWD Safari under normal street / family hauling driving conditions. And, we've yet to expose my van's factory AWD system to the high abuse of traditional `off-road` driving conditions.

Hope this helps - some how...

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy has 300K miles on the original drive train, no rebuilds, just abuse. I know it needs new seals in the front differential, as it's seeping near the drivers side half shaft. I've taken it off-roading several times, driving it a bit more abusively than my wife in her Liberty and it just seems to keep asking for more.

You'll find a good number of AWD vans in all styles, if you're looking in areas that typically get snow. They're slightly harder to find in the south.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Hmmmmm a slug, eh? What happens if you put a V8 in the slug? Does it improve?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

pengyou wrote:Hmmmmm a slug, eh? What happens if you put a V8 in the slug? Does it improve?
Instead of dumping the Astro/Safari production in 2005, I wish GM offered an optional V8 engine instead. People want a larger size van and they want more "torque" under its hood. Especially the construction and trailer towing folks who want a smaller size van - for their above average heavy load hauling/towing needs. Many folks don't want to larger then Astro/Safari vans. Like the large size bulkier GM vans. Today, even Dodge is making a larger size mini-van (the new Caravan design) - because people are demanding more internal space within current available mini-van design.

I also remember reading and seeing on YouTube Video a few clips with custom V8 engine within a few Astro/Safari vans. They spin tires, they have "take off" power and they have much more pulling power. Especially for trailer towing and steep hill driving needs. Based on what I seen, either get a AWD Astro/Safari van with a V8 engine or get an AWD with V6 but with custom order 4:11 gearing. To me, the "default" factory V6 engine with 3:42 gearing and its "too tall" of OD gear makes my AWD van behave "like a slug". Especially against a head wind while driving up a hill.