Composite to Metal Rear Leaf Springs

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Composite to Metal Rear Leaf Springs

Post by LastCat »

Hello,

I bought a 1993 Astro, AWD, Ext. last year, and just started working on lifting this van, 4" all around. The price was great, just $600.00. Wasn't in the greatest of shape, but I planned on doing a restore anyways. Most things work, but it does need some TLC. At least it came with a 3.73 non limited slip rear end. Which I am working on now. The engine runs great, just the W engine.

I finally got the front end lifted with Dan's 2" blocks, and adjusting the Torsion Bars. Added lots of new parts up front, tie rods, ball joints, shocks, calipers, brake pads, brake lines, idler arms, etc...

I took the stock 8 window Astro wheels, and stripped the paint, then painted them in an Epoxy Primer, and added Firestone Destination M/S 30" tires.

Here it is, when I first bought it. I was lucky enough, the seller was able to bring it up to me on a trailer, about 45 miles away. Great deal.

Here it is after some removing of parts. Getting ready to work on the front end.
These next 3 pics, are after I completed the front end work, and the 2" lift. So far it is looking great, and I can still get her parked in the garage. I hope I still can, after I finish lifting the rear.

Ok, here is where I am stuck. I hope I can get some help here, I don't really spend a lot of time posting here, but I spend lots of time ready everyones post, on ideas, and problems. Very good information here, this site has been a great help, thanks :supz:

Ok, now that I am doing the lift in the rear, I have the stock composite springs. So I decided to go with the Metal Leafs. I found a 1996 Safari at a junk yard and got both springs for just $55. Along with all the anchors, brackets, nuts and bolts, etc...

Just today, I finally got around to fitting the Metal Leafs to the current axle. Argh ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ... the top anchor plates won't fit. Seems the composite anchor plate and the mounts welded to the axle are made only for the composite springs.

The difference in springs is, the composites are tapered and wider at the mounting points. Also the top locating pin is smaller on these also.

The Metal springs, the anchor plates are narrower, and the locating pin is larger. Argh, I was able to bend the upper anchor plate, with a big hammer. But the fit wasn't right.

I could use the anchor plate from the composite springs, but the shape of the anchor is a taper, and wider by 1/4". Things are not fitting. Leaf springs and anchor plates from a 96 just are not mating up to the composite spring axle mounts.

Someone that has been there and done that, what did you come up with? What works? I would hate to put on the wider anchor plates, and down the road have the back axle shift on me. The other options I thought about just scrapping these Metal springs, and finding a complete rear end, with the metal leaf springs, and with the 3.73 Gov G80 Locker rear end. And be done with it, and not have to jerry-rig the rear mounts.

Help!

Thanks
Lastcat

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Re: Composite to Metal Rear Leaf Springs

Post by Jboy2 »

Wow. your astro is looking nice!

Sorry im no help, but hopefully someone will chime in since i bumped the thread up.
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Post by LastCat »

Thanks Jboy,

Lots of work, and I got a good deal, yes? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I thought about these upper anchor mounts, and might try the anchors from the steel leaf springs, and see if I can just make them work. I did get one to mount, but it needs some more massaging to make them work. Ya, I really hope someone chimes in, so I can get these steel leafs to fit properly.

I did go to the old website, and did a search. I found lots of post about swapping over, but there wasn't much details about how anyone was mounting steel leafs to the composite type axle mounts. Cross my fingers.

Cheers
Lastcat

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Nice Van! :cheers:
I just did the leaf springs on my '94 this past summer. I got my springs from Dan at Overland Vans. For mine,I reused the mounting plates from the composite springs.I did have to make the hole bigger on the mounting plate for the centering pin on the new springs . I just had to drill it out until it fit. Also when installing the front spring hangers,try flipping them around. This will center the axle up in the rear wheel well better. However, I'm not sure how much different your hardware is from a '96 would be from my setup.
Probably doesn't help you much,but thats my 2 cents worth. Keep us posted with pics,looks like you have a nice project going! :supz:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Post by LastCat »

Thanks Snapple,

I was able to get all of the mounting hardware, when I pulled these metal springs (3 leaves) off of the 96 Safari. I was able to get the anchor plate from the original hardware from above. It took some minor bending, about a 1/4" to get the anchor plate to fit. Then I had to use 1/2" shims on the inboard side of the plate. It worked, I will take some pictures and post them, when I get the shock mounts welded in, and remove the rear again.

I just finished the install, all went well. Thanks for the tip, I was able to keep everything original, and the wheel spacing looks good. But, you have a great idea. If I just get Dan's rear Shackle Hanger, then I can flip the front hangers around and seems that would move the axle towards the rear about 2" or so? Then when I install the rear hangers, they would move the axle forward, hopefully centering the wheels in the opening. :drinkers: Hopefully, don't quote me on this, just speaking out loud. I am going to have to try this, see what I can come up with.

Or I could get an Add-A-Leaf, and see how well that works, and if the ride is still good, and not too stiff. That way I can keep the hangers all original, and get the 2" I need in the back. Which will give me around 35" up front and 36" out back (from the center of the fender lip to ground).

Then if it seems too harsh, after I get everything installed, painted, and finished. Then I can always go back and remove the add a leaf, and then work on getting the hangers changed over. I was looking and I would be able to extend the mounting points 2" lower, by adding some 3/16" plates. See what happens later this summer.

More to follow. :rock:

Cheers
Lastcat

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I did this exact swap. I used all the original hardware from the monoleafs since my springs came with no hardware. My springs were from a 2000 Astro. If you are going for 4" of lift go with the shackle for 2" and the add a leaf for another 2". Definately flip the front hanger around. If you choose not to use an add a leaf you will find out the hard way what axle wrap is in our vans and you'll say goodbye to you shiny new tires. The stock steel springs are actually very wimpy compared to the monos. Chances are that you will need to shim the axle a bit to get the proper pinion angle or you will have some vibration. Adding the plates to the front hanger won't give you any significant lift but they WILL help with the pinion angle issues. Again, I stress using the add a leaf to start with. You won't regret it and the ride isn't changed very much in comparison to the monos.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Post by LastCat »

Thanks Lokdoc,

I'll consider the add a leaf first. I really only need 2" in the rear, since the tires already lifted 2" from stock. Then if its not quite enough, I could always go with the rear shackles. I am considering just 2" with the rear suspension, because I can then get the van in the garage, and just barely. :supz: . So Add a Leaf, here we go. Oh, did you get your Add a leaf from Dan? Or did you find some other source?

Thanks for the help.

Lastcat

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Got 'em from Dan.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires