AWD upkeep Q

Topic author
pj
I am merely driving my van

AWD upkeep Q

Post by pj »

Ok, I've read about flushing and re-juicing the transfer case.

What do you use to flush out the old?
(Yeah, besides the special GM 'pull chain' or aftermarket propwash... :butthead: )

I know the new juice is dealer only, no prob.

I figure with the ride at 102 K, prob never been flushed, and with the amount of highway miles I do, it's a good maint thing to get outa the way.
94 Safari Passgr 185K RWD
99 Astro Passgr LS 102K AWD

I have TSB...male counterpart to PMS...strikes at any time of day or night...sometimes a number of times a day...

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: AWD upkeep Q

Post by Cobra »

i was think the same thing last night on my snowy highway drive home (which was fun since i was passing everyone except some transports with ontario plates :supz: ) but i thoght i should do my transfer case since it's probably never been done and i thought i heard a wine from my rear-end figure why not do them all together (F,T,R) and get it over with
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

I don't think flushing with anything is necessary if you aren't having any problems.
The manual talks of checking levels and adding, but I don't believe there is any scheduled change of fluid.
I would pick a warmer day drive the van to get the fluid mobile and drain/add new.(GM P/N 12378396)
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The 1999 and newer must be done every 30,000 miles or you risk having weird driving issues with binding or surging while accelerating. The These newer t-case take the GM only Auto Trak 2.

The 1990 to 1998 t-cases take regular old Dexron 3 - same as the tranny. These don't require as many flushes but it is good maintenance anyways.

The flush procedure is the same for both. You loosen BOTH plugs first! (To make sure the fill will come out) Then remove the bottom plug and catch the fluid. Once it drains out, reinstall the plug and remove the upper one and add 2 quarts (liters) to the bottom of the upper hole.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
pj

Post by pj »

Ok, jist a drain 'n fill, v.s. a 'flush' 'n fill. :supz:

Thanks. :prayer: :muhaha:
94 Safari Passgr 185K RWD
99 Astro Passgr LS 102K AWD

I have TSB...male counterpart to PMS...strikes at any time of day or night...sometimes a number of times a day...

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I did just like Lifted said and it cured my binding problem right away. The Autotrak II fluid was cheaper at Lordco than it was from the dealer.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:The 1999 and newer must be done every 30,000 miles or you risk having weird driving issues with binding or surging while accelerating. The These newer t-case take the GM only Auto Trak 2.

The 1990 to 1998 t-cases take regular old Dexron 3 - same as the tranny. These don't require as many flushes but it is good maintenance anyways.

The flush procedure is the same for both. You loosen BOTH plugs first! (To make sure the fill will come out) Then remove the bottom plug and catch the fluid. Once it drains out, reinstall the plug and remove the upper one and add 2 quarts (liters) to the bottom of the upper hole.

Oh God Bless your Dean. My heart jumped when I started to read this thread because I have been draining and filling mine every YEAR and not use GM fluids (now using Royal Purple) so I thought I might have been damaging my ride but not knowing. Good to do it - brings back the nice smooth coasting and mpg (I notice it and so does the Scangauge) as well if you like rhomping on the AWD I think it is good to treat her well eh?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"