2000 4L60E suitability for a 1989 Astro.

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

2000 4L60E suitability for a 1989 Astro.

Post by SafariRob »

Well, I thought I posted this message once already, but I don't see it anywhere. I must've screwed up.
Anyway, I'm considering installing a 4L60E transmission into my 1989 Astro and using an aftermarket transmission controller with it, a la Peter's Safari.
But I need some help-- I don't know which 4L60E years are the best. I checked with the local junkyard and they informed me that they have a low mile 4L60E from a 2000 Astro rollover. They want $300 for it; I don't know if that a good price, though. Any thoughts?
I do know that the torque converter dust cover on the bellhousing is very different over that of a 700R4, but I believe I can deal with that.
Will the driveshaft yoke of an '89 slip onto the output shaft of a 4L60E?

Thanks for any input.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Post by canadavan »

Aren't there spline count differences between an 89 and a 2000?
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Maybe I missed something.
The 4L60E is computer controled.
The 1989 has no computer.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The 2000 tranny does not have an inspection cover. They use a separate bell housing from the tranny case. They also use the full bell housing for bolting to the engine block. I think you can still bolt it up but I have no idea on the spline count on the input. The output shaft will be 27 spline though, so the slip yoke should work.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

What the heck you up to this time Robby? You just had yours rebuilt (satisfactorily, I might add) last year, n'est pas?
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I wasn't very clear concerning the spline count. I meant the tailshaft spline count. I'm curious to know if the 89's drive shaft will slip onto the 4L60E.
I figure the bellhousing of the 4L60E will take a llittle work, but I seem to remember being told that the bolt pattern is the same to mate to the engine.
WB: Yeah, a computer will be needed, but I intend to use something from the aftermarket.

What's got me thinking about all this is that I want finer control over the transmission in my van. I'd like to be able to program the conditions for shift events and torque converter lockup. And I'd like to have paddle shifters on the steering column. I've never tried paddle shifters before, but it looks interesting for use during the times that I want to manually shift the transmission. Adding these looks easy enough but only if there's an electronically controlled transmission onboard.
Another big reason is that the 700R4, which I had rebuilt by a transmission firm 2 years ago, is now needing some work. Its front seal is seeping ATF and it doesn't always drop gears for passing like it's supposed to. Rather than dink with it anymore, I'd like to do a swap.
The 2000 4L60E is available, but I wonder if there's a difference in the internals between one for a V6 and one for a V8. That's probably not an issue though, as my 305 is rather anemic.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Sorry to hear about the tranny woes, that just ain't right!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Peter, you're using the Compushift controller on your 4L80E, right? I checked it out on their website--that's an impressive piece. But the price...$1400! Damn, that's worth far, far more than my van is!
Rob Shaver

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I think TCI makes one as well, might be cheaper...
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I installed Peter's 97 trans to my 93 so yes, it will bolt up. Albeit I was dealing with AWD. Like stated before you will need to fab your own dust shield or go without. Just in case you don't know, a 93-94 4L60E will be a direct fit unlike the later two piece units. Also, unlike the 700R4's there is not much difference between the 4L60E's in the V6, V8 etc.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Bill, what do mean by direct fit? Are the lengths different or something like that?
Rob Shaver

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Here's one for $700. If you're even THINKING about upgrading transmissions in the future I'd go this way; it will allow you to use the 4L65E, the 4L70E and the 4L80E as well (the 65E and 70E are modded versions of the 60E) It also gets rid of the TV cable and lets you have full control over your shifts, which is good because they can be tuned individually.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Domo arigato, Mr Roboto, for the Summit link to TCI's controller. This must be the one that Peter was referring to. I see that it uses a throttle position sensor that is controlled by a cable from the carb, much like a TV cable. I wonder why the throttle position cable can't be installed on the accellerator pedal up under the dash. My goal is to keep the engine uncluttered by extraneous cables and wiring whatever mods I make.
Rob Shaver

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

SafariRob wrote:Bill, what do mean by direct fit? Are the lengths different or something like that?
What I mean is the 93-95 4L60E case is basically the same as the 700R4. It will bolt in the same as yours with the same inspection cover and the same cooler line angles. You have to manipulate the lines to fit the newer cases not to mention you need to swap over the connectors as the newer style has the quick disconnects.

I also screwed up the years. It is 93-95 that have the old style case.

This is a 95 4L60E 2WD trans:

This is a 700R4 trans:

97 4L60E:

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

..... I see that it uses a throttle position sensor that is controlled by a cable from the carb, much like a TV cable. I wonder why the throttle position cable can't be installed on the accellerator pedal up under the dash. My goal is to keep the engine uncluttered by extraneous cables and wiring whatever mods I make.[/quote]

Actually, you could. As long as the TPS is accurately actuated by the throttle, it don't make no never mind where the heck you put it. I'm sure you could scavenge a TPS off've some throttle body and adapt it to your pedal linkage under the dash. I still think you're complicating your life, but who the hell am I to talk, huh? *wink*
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson