NAPA Echlin Cap

Topic author
Ericglo
I am merely driving my van

NAPA Echlin Cap

Post by Ericglo »

I haven't seen it mentioned in awhile, so I had to do a search to remind myself that I wasn't dreaming. It was talked about over at the other site, but not here. I remember some people recommending the Napa Echlin brass caps or other brass caps as being superior to the aluminum AC/Delco cap. In September of '06 I installed the Napa cap. I went till June of '07 and was almost stranded on the Fl Turnpike. I did not think it could be the cap, as I had replaced it less than 9 months ago. Sure enough, I took it off and it looked bad. I bought a new one thinking it might have been a fluke. That one lasted till Oct of '07 when I went and got an AC/Delco cap. I should mention that I live in Florida and maybe the higher humidity contributed to the problem. The Delco cap that was on there before lasted like three or four years. Also, before anyone says anything the screen and hole were/are fine.

I just replaced my Delco cap and rotor after almost two years. They could have probably went longer as they looked to be in still decent shape, but they do have 40k miles on them. If I think about it, then i will take a pic tomorrow.
former 1996 Astro 2 wheel drive 225k miles totaled by a poor driver
now 2002 Safari 2 wheel drive 130k miles

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: NAPA Echlin Cap

Post by Rileysowner »

I have always heard AC Delco cap and rotor are a must on these vehicles. Every after market one will fail in a year. So far that seems to be the case from my own experience.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

mine differs, I get longer life out of bosch caps with brass terminals.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
Ericglo

Post by Ericglo »

Two year old Delco cap with 40k miles.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

and?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
Ericglo

Post by Ericglo »

As I said in my first post at the end, the Delco cap still looks pretty good. I could have gone longer on it, but I am trying to eliminate other problems. I don't know where you are in Texas, but maybe it is in a non-humid environment. In that case, you may have less trouble with brass. I just wanted to show with pics that brass isn't the best solution for everyone. You may say that is obvious, but when I was researching this there were a lot of people adamantly pushing brass awhile back. Honestly, the brass caps cost me more than the cost of three caps in a little over a year.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

As I've mentioned several times before, you guys should take a look at Standard Motor Products "X" series caps and rotors. It's the only one I use and have used for more than thirty years. Never a failure. I have them on a '68 Chevy pickup that was last tuned up in 1993. They're still as good as new. When I did my Safari a couple of years ago I installed the same. I will never have to change them. Well, I will when I do the V8. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Good to know Smilie.
I can't seem to find a local parts store that carries them. Checked autozone, advance autoparts, napa, oreilly, pep boys, none of 'em have it. Looks like I'll have to order one from rockauto.com to keep on hand.

name's Steve

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

I just checked their website. They don't even provide a list of retailers.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage