A family friend was killed and her truck stolen

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

A family friend was killed and her truck stolen

Post by rlsllc »

Please pass this along to anyone you can, especially in the Central Ohio area, although with the time that has elapsed, it could be halfway across the country by now:

We are looking for a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche, tan in color, with the OHIO license plate number CV93HJ, It is the victim’s truck and it is missing from the scene.

Anyone who sees the missing vehicle should call the sheriff’s office immediately at (740) 397-3333.

We obviously don't care about the truck, but are interested in the driver.

This happened only a few miles from my house, A place where I have always felt safe.

Taken from The Mount Vernon News, 12/21/09:

GAMBIER — The Knox County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the shooting death of 54-year-old Jean R. Davis of 24941 Dennis Church Road as the first homicide of 2009.

According to Knox County Sheriff David Barber, Davis’ body was discovered by a friend who was concerned after Davis did not attend church.

“A friend of hers found her after the victim failed to show up for church this morning,” Barber said. “The victim sent an e-mail to her friend that she would see her at church, and when she was not in church, her friend went to check on her and found her outside, unresponsive.”

Just before 11 a.m. the Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department and Eastern Knox County Joint Fire District responded to the scene, along with Knox County sheriff’s deputies, but Davis was lifeless when they arrived.

“She was found dead just outside the back door of her house,” Barber said.

The sheriff, Knox County Coroner Dr. Jennifer Ogle, KCSO detectives, and investigators from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation responded to the scene to collect evidence and conduct interviews.

“Her body was transported to the Licking County Coroner’s Office, where an autopsy will be conducted,” Barber said.

According to Ogle, an X-ray performed during the autopsy showed the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head. Final autopsy results are not yet available.

Barber said Davis was killed early Sunday.

“It was sometime this morning because that e-mail was sent this morning,” Barber said Sunday evening.

Barber would not comment on a motive or whether anything was missing from the home where Davis lived alone, except to say deputies are searching for a vehicle belonging to the victim.

“We are looking for a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche, tan in color, with the license plate number CV93HJ,” Barber said. “It is the victim’s truck and it is missing from the scene.”

Barber advised anyone who sees the missing vehicle to call the sheriff’s office immediately at 397-3333. Detectives would like to speak with anyone who has information regarding the case.

“There are no suspects at this time and it’s too early in the investigation to comment on the manner of death or release any more information,” Barber said Sunday night.

The investigation is being conducted as a joint effort between the KCSO, the Knox County Coroner’s Office and BCI.

I know it's a long shot, but you never know who could cross paths with who. Thanks.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: A family friend was killed and her truck stolen

Post by astrozam »

Crazy stuff, hopefully someone can help you out :canuk: :usa:

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Roy,sorry to hear about this.I suggest you forward this to the TV program"America's Most Wanted" and maybe they could help out finding the person(s) who did this.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Thanks guys. First homocide of the year on 12/21. I hope they find out who and maybe why. I should have posted sooner, but I debated whether or not to even post it. I hate bad news.

Logan
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Logan »

I heard about this this morning, Sorry to hear you knew her Roy. My condolences. I also heard that the truck was found here in licking county late last night or early this morning.
1988 Astro Shorty full cargo - 350 TBI - 5 speed
1993 Passenger 4X4 Astro 305 TBI V8 -2 speed transfer case 5" custom lift - Built by Lockdoc
2015 Ram Promaster City - work car
2004 AWD Express 5.3
2005 Express 15 passenger 6.0
1984 Beauville Full Size Sport Van- built TBI 355-electric fans- 4L60e 95,000 original miles
2001 International School Bus

Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

wow...I'm also sorry to hear about this...any updates? I always want to hear the part about justice. Although no amount of justice can bring someone back. Our condolences...
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT
All about me, my girl, & our van with loads of pics:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5281

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Thanks for posts. I hope the truck being found leads to something.

I know a lot of people (good, honest people) who are scared in our rural community. Many are talking about arming themselves, and it seems .357 is the popular choice, according to my father who runs the village store. I don't own a gun, although I like them. I have 4 small children, so I'm a bit afraid to have one in the house. That may change.

Is there a post on here about recommended home defense weapons? I was thinking about a gun with a high capacity clip, but know tht the reliability of a revolver is hard to beat.

I hate that it has come to this. If there isn't a post on this subject, it would be cool if someone that knows something could start one.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Don't wait until after a personal tragedy to arm yourself. After all it is your family that you are protecting and you should do so with every means possible. As far as your kids and guns........the best measure is to educate them. Myself and three younger brothers were brought up in a household that always had guns. There was never an incident. All of us have had guns our entire adult lives and there have never been any incidents. Take your kids and your wife to a gun range and do it often so that it becomes second nature to use a gun safely. As far as a type......you can't beat a semi -auto. Lots of fire power. With a revolver it is only six shots and then there's a time-out. In a high stress situation there's no time for a time-out. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

In my opinion Smilie has the best advice. Education, familiarisation, and you may want to add a couple of big dogs for good measure. I know with my dogs you can not get near the property without Kabey knowing your there.
Forwared is forarmed.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

rlsllc wrote: Is there a post on here about recommended home defense weapons?
it would be cool if someone that knows something could start one.
There is now Roy, I'm certainly no expert so hopefully those that do have some useful info can shed some light for those of us who do have concerns, the thread is in POLITICO, heres a shortcut to it...viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5344

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

astrozam wrote:
rlsllc wrote: Is there a post on here about recommended home defense weapons?
it would be cool if someone that knows something could start one.
There is now Roy, I'm certainly no expert so hopefully those that do have some useful info can shed some light for those of us who do have concerns, the thread is in POLITICO, heres a shortcut to it...viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5344

=D> Thanks, Zam

Points well taken, I look farward to gaining knowledge in the new thread before I decide what I'm doing. For now my only defense is to go berserko.

As a side note, my Dad is wearing a .357 Magnum in his general store, "Davidson's Grocery" in Bladensburg. Fox 28 WTTE was there today; I kept my distance. I don't know if he will be on the news or not. I just hope he isn't asking for trouble, and yes, I do think he would shoot if needed.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Man that's horrible. Hopefully they will catch the person responsible.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Great A'Tuin

Post by Great A'Tuin »

That's terrible! I hope the get the guy. The FIRST murder of 2009. I wish my city was that safe!

My Grandparents lived in Mt. Vernon when I was a kid. I always really liked the area...

I'd have to say, I enjoy guns, but for most people, especially for those in rural areas, a good dog or two is a far better security system.

john
john

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 265,000 miles.