89 not starting

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

jbird
I get chills without my van.

Re: 89 not starting

Post by jbird »

Kidhauler wrote:If your computer is not seeing any oil pressure it will not turn the fuel on. Check your oil pressure sender unit. It is on the back of the engine just below the distributor.
Oil pressure is good.

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

If your problem is a no start due to no fuel injector pulse, here is a simple test to do. This tests the ignition module which is in the distributor - '94 & prior vans.

Test:
Disconnect the 4 wire connector from the distributor.
Turn on the ignition.
Connect the aligator clip of a test light (not an LED test light) to battery positive.
Momentarily touch the tip of the test light probe to the purple/white wire in the disconnected 4 wire connector.

Result:
This will simulate a trigger/pulse.
The ECM should turn on the fuel pump for 2 seconds & pulse the injectors.

If this happens, your ECM is functioning ok & your ignition module/pick up coil is faulty.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

jbird
I get chills without my van.

Post by jbird »

is that for 93 and older or 94 and older i have a 94 astro

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

v8famvan wrote:This tests the ignition module which is in the distributor - '94 & prior vans.
He says it is for 94 and older so your 94 should be included in this test.

AWESOME info James! =D>
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Jbird, do you have the Z or W engine? If you have the W, I think you will need a higher fuel pressure gage than the one you posted.
Until I saw the year of your van, I was laboring under the assumption you had something closer to an 89 TBI system.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....