We bought a VERY VERY BIG van :-)

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
Mr Bean
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: We bought a VERY VERY BIG van :-)

Post by Mr Bean »

Hi Peter! Thanks for the advice! Just to answer your points:

The weight of 400 gallons is approx. 3340 lbs. Also, think about this, when you have a 200 gallon fresh, and 100 gallon black and 100 gallon gray tank, you only have 200 gallons at any given time. You never fill your fresh water tank without dumping your black and/or gray tanks. So, the weight is now approx. 1670 lbs. Not a lot of weight at all. As for weight totals and distribution, the bus is designed to hold well over 10,000 lbs. of luggage, people, etc. We just stripped out well over 1000 lbs. of metal, plastic, insulation, etc. that will be replaced with lighter materials. Also stripped were several thousand pounds of seating, luggage racks and a restroom facility all made of steel and stainless. Also coming out are nearly 1000 pounds of heating pipe, radiator, several industrial blower motors, a very heavy copper condesor which will take 2 men to carry, a very heavy A/C compressor which will also take two men to carry. Even when the conversion is completed, with a full load of 180 gallons of diesel, full freshwater tank, generator, batteries, and my wife and i on board as well as all of our sound gear etc, (no band) the bus will be well underweight. No need to worry about that. Most newer class A RV's have an option to purchase a 10,000 lb. hitch and our bus is much more capable than that. So a 4,000-5,000 lb. vehicle will not be an issue. The hitch will be the limitation in our case. Weight distribution is still being argued by converters everywhere. Most say put the tanks in the rear-most bays to keep the weight of the water over the rear axles. 1670 lbs. of water is a proverbial drop in the bus bucket (no pun intended) but I have also read several NHTSA articles that have hinted these buses over load the rear axle to the point of unloading the front axle and causing the bus to handle unsafely when on slick roads going around turns. So the idea is to add some weight towards the front axles to keep them planted firmly at all times. The engine itself hangs out behind th rear axles and is plenty of weight to unload the front. in any case, our generator will likely end up towards the front of the bus to keep noise and vibration as far away as possible from our bedroom, and the water tanks will go into the middle bays. Anyway, thinking about getting an incinerator toilet that merely burns the defecation into sterile ash. no black tank needed :-s
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT
All about me, my girl, & our van with loads of pics:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5281

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Very cool project, Scott. Although I,m a bit concerned about the "Titanic" name. On it's maiden voyage..........Well, you know the outcome.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Smiliesafari wrote:Very cool project, Scott. Although I,m a bit concerned about the "Titanic" name. On it's maiden voyage..........Well, you know the outcome.
So, just keep it away from iceburgs then?!... :whistle:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

mdmead wrote:
Smiliesafari wrote:Very cool project, Scott. Although I,m a bit concerned about the "Titanic" name. On it's maiden voyage..........Well, you know the outcome.
So, just keep it away from iceburgs then?!... :whistle:
Ahaha! You guys. Ok. So you win...we've officially changed the name to "Big Big". Not nearly as manly, but an inside joke for us and some close friends. Just made some more updates to the blog. Today, we took Big Big for a drive to get washed and to have the A/C system evacuated. Twas a good day!
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

I would think that is a pusher super charged diesel.I have heard one of the normal maintenance on them is a frequent fuel filter changes.Might want to consider picking some up to have on hand.WEX brand name comes to mind.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Nice name change. I like it. I once had a Suburban named "Moby". I think Gary meant "WIX". I've used Wix filters for thirty years. It's a good product. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

1Gary wrote:I would think that is a pusher super charged diesel.I have heard one of the normal maintenance on them is a frequent fuel filter changes.Might want to consider picking some up to have on hand.WEX brand name comes to mind.
hey gary...i think you're right...there's gotta be 4 filters under that beast. it's turboed tho...turbocharged 6 cylinder. WIX filters? good name? i believe you. i wouldn't know. still learning about these diesel beasts...and the allison's their mated to.
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Scott:

Awhile back I read a review on oil filters being that I was a life long Fram user.I was very disappointed in what the neutral review said about Fram.Well the WEX filters are very well reviewed.They,from what I understand,a brand name that is commonly used by semi truck drivers/owners.I changed up to a Wex on my 1994 LT and was very pleased with the increase of oil pressure and what seemed like the oil staying cleaner longer.

Now from what I have been told about turbo's,they require oil changes more frequently.Also I have read on the ref RV site that I suggested you look at,guys there use Wex filters and oil changes more often.

Hope this helps Scott.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

1Gary wrote:Scott:

Awhile back I read a review on oil filters being that I was a life long Fram user.I was very disappointed in what the neutral review said about Fram.Well the WEX filters are very well reviewed.They,from what I understand,a brand name that is commonly used by semi truck drivers/owners.I changed up to a Wex on my 1994 LT and was very pleased with the increase of oil pressure and what seemed like the oil staying cleaner longer.

Now from what I have been told about turbo's,they require oil changes more frequently.Also I have read on the ref RV site that I suggested you look at,guys there use Wex filters and oil changes more often.

Hope this helps Scott.
it does help! I just spent some time tinkering around the WIX filter website....good stuff! I would love to see a slight oil pressure increase on the bus since when idling it is super low...
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

I am speechless ... but I can still type!
WOW!
Keep updating this thread ... and I hope you have recovered from your snowboarding accident.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

2 words...

caterpillar tracks

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Wow. I just found this topic and after reading it and reading through your blog and seeing all your photos, I'm just amazed. This looks like a tremendous amount of work and an equally tremendous amount of fun! I can only imagine the things you must be learning, and learning quickly I bet! Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanks for the props! It is hard work. I honestly was underestimating the physical work that would be involved. Cool thing is, my muscles are starting to actually look like something :) So we're about to close the sides in with sheetmetal over the next two weeks. We'll see how that goes... as for timelessbeing...ahaha..lol...just because your avatar shows your van up to its belly in muck...doesn't mean we need tracks on our bus lol! :poke: and phr1$k37, have fully recovered finally...thanks! was a stinker of an injury...but i took it really easy for a month...thanks for the props everyone!
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Glad you are well.
Now get wrenching and cranking and greasy and get some photos up!
(I demand you!)

:)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"