new owner needs input!!!!!!!

Topic author
nhfire77
I am merely driving my van

new owner needs input!!!!!!!

Post by nhfire77 »

Hello all,

I am just bought a 2002 astro cargo van (135K) fleet vehicle for my small business. I am interested in what the previous owner stated that the rotor and cap would need replacing about every six months. She stated on a wet or damp day, it just wont start. Replace the cap and rotor and all is well.

1. I read all the different topics regarding the cap and rotor, but couldnt figure out what the heck is going on. Please if, you would, send feedback on this.

2. I also need a bit of help figuring out the engine cover removal to get to them. Any tips.

3. Since I didnt have the records I changed the oil, rear end, and tranny fluids. What else should I be looking for??

Thank you in advance

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I'm no expert but if you need to replace the cap and rotor that often, either they are junk or there is something else wrong. Although the last time I replaced mine I didn't get the Delco cap and rotor, basically what I have read is if you replace yours stick with the OEM ones since they will last where most after market ones will fail in a year or so.

I don't know how true that is, but I would guess that the cap and rotor she used was some cheap one, especially if she thought that it needed replacement every six months. The thing is, because she used a cheap one, she needed to replace it every six months.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

stephanieASTRO
I am smitten with my van

Post by stephanieASTRO »

Hi! The engine cover is held down with two screws, it should be located under the dash at the back, if you take a look with a flash light you can see them. Thats were my 93 astro's is located, I'm not sure that it would be the same for the 2002's. The earlier astros had the screws on the outside under the hood going in. The screws don't come out so you don't have to worry about dropping them, they just sit in the dog house ready for use. I hope that helps you.
1993 Chevy Astro EXT
4.3 V6 Z engine
my baby
(Boss)

1990 Chevy Astro cargo
small block 350
looking to convert to
electric
(Red)

2005 Chevy Astro Cargo
4.3 v6
(Whitey)

1994 Chevy Astro EXT (just bought)
mystery engine
(Moose)

Matrixx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Matrixx »

Hi nhfire77
I gave you a reply at the other site which is now up and running if you want to have a look. Everything is covered their that you asked.

PS: And welcome to the site. :)
96 Safari-500,000 Kilometers-92 Octane (Chevron)-Original Motor-Transmission-Cat-EGR-Starter-O2 Sensors Except 1-AirCared-Synthetic Blend in Engine and Transmission (Castrol Syntec for both) 3.73 Limited Slip rear end (Full Synthetic/Royal Purple 75/90w)-Michelin Latitudes (P215/75-15)&Munro Sensa-Trac shocks.

Topic author
nhfire77

Post by nhfire77 »

Thank you all for your reply.

I agree that something besides non-OEM parts would require and new cap and rotor every six months, since this is new to me I have NO idea what it is. I will replace them with AC delco ASAP.

I checked out the other sites link to the dog house removal. My 2002 looks different than the 96 in the Auto Zone link, but, is it the same bolt configuration?

In regards to the cold, hard tranny shift 1 to 2.... is replacing the solenoid worth doing now? I would not tackle that myself. I am assuming the tranny will need to be rebuilt sooner rather than later anyway? (I

Matrixx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Matrixx »

Hi nhfire77
Your transmission doesn't need to be rebuilt just to replace a shift solenoid. Have a reputable transmission shop look at it first.

As for your 2002 dog house, they should be the same as the 96 model year.
The link I posted on the other site applies to your year as well nhfire77, I gave a pretty detailed removal procedure their. The Torx screws are a #25.
Hope this helps. :)
96 Safari-500,000 Kilometers-92 Octane (Chevron)-Original Motor-Transmission-Cat-EGR-Starter-O2 Sensors Except 1-AirCared-Synthetic Blend in Engine and Transmission (Castrol Syntec for both) 3.73 Limited Slip rear end (Full Synthetic/Royal Purple 75/90w)-Michelin Latitudes (P215/75-15)&Munro Sensa-Trac shocks.