How to change passenger door window

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
sergly
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

How to change passenger door window

Post by sergly »

On my Astro 2003, I need to replace the bottom sash bar/frame. This part come with the window, I bought a window in a scrap yard but need to know how to replace it with the sash bar/frame install on the new window.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: How to change passenger door window

Post by Smiliesafari »

Simple answer.........disassemble the entire door. Well, you don't have to remove the latch or the outside door handle but pretty much everything else. Have fun. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

I actually have 2 of these to do the local dealer said it was sold only with the new window but i thought they might have been looking at the wrong part. If yours is per-attached then maybe what they told me was correct they wanted 192 for it
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

Having worked as a process engineer in the door group at Fisher Body (what is that you say), I would be willing to bet that the dealer will only sell you the sash attached to the glass. I don't readily recall whether the sash is glued to the glass with hot melt, or in the later years it was attached with a rivet and a hole in the glass. I would be willing to bet you could get a piece of glass from the jy for about $40 or so, with the sash already attached. If not, you can easily clean the hotmelt out of the sash and then re-attach it with some more hot melt, or try two part epoxy. If it is a riveted sash, carefully drill out the rivet and then re-attach with either another rivet or a nut and a bolt. Make sure that if you use a nut and a bolt to 1) make sure that you don't tighten the bolt too much, (so it won't break the glass, use a bit if epoxy to keep it from falling off,) ans 2) make sure that the bolt is trimmed down so that it doesn't get caught in the regulator or the inner panel!
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I was going to write a how to on this subject but I will put it in here.

You need to open the door and remove the door panel.
Then remove the door paper liner so you can see the window.
Next you need to take a small pry bar or screw driver and pop the centre stud out of the plastic wheels that are in the track at the bottom of the door. ( they are designed to pop apart and go together just be gentle.)

Now on the bottom of the door on the inside you will see a bolt that holds the bottom of the window track at the front in place. Remove that bolt so the track will fall loose inside the door. ( you might want to slide the window half way up and have someone hold it for you at this point.

The window can now be rotated and will slide out of the door by rotating the top of the window towards the front of the van.

I did this on a window at the auto wreckers the other day helping some guy get the window out. We removed the rubber slider track but i don't think this is needed once you get the bottom front half of the window track to come loose.

Hope this helps.

Kevin.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.