Hybrid Anyone?

Topic author
capulet_x
I am smitten with my van

Hybrid Anyone?

Post by capulet_x »

I honestly had no idea where the proper place was to put this post so pardon the error in advance should this not be the correct place.
I have a habit of sketching out crazy engineering ideas and talking at length with my father ( who is an engineer ) about methods of executing and prototyping. Well, from time to time I have an idea and then discover that someone else has already executed basically the same thing. It doesn't bug me; in fact, it kind of validates that my idea isn't so crazy or at least I'm not alone with my weird ideas.
Anyway, I thought I would share these links that I found. As you can see this may be the starting point for a diy hybrid ( or EV ) Astro. My idea was leaning towards an electric assist at lower speeds...but you get the idea.

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/electroc ... harger.php

http://www.go-ev.com/End_User_Pricing.html

http://northstar.sierraclub.org/campaig ... hap06.html
:: '87 4.3 5spd Astro ::

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hybrid Anyone?

Post by mdmead »

OK, how about the 'Car & Driver' method? Take two Toyota Prius drivetrans and stuff one in the front and one in the rear of an Astro/Safari (ala their CRX project car from a million years ago)!

But seriously, the midline motor/generator seems like an interesting concept. But since it is 2010 and the last reference I see was in '09, I'm guessing it is still a ways out.

I'd be curious to know if a person could take a small diesel engine and hook it to a generator and use it to keep a large lithium ion battery pack charged. In theory, you could have a 20-50 mile battery range and then use the diesel/generator to recharge batteries and/or power the the electric motors. (It would be fully electric powered, no mechanical connection between diesel and drivetrain.)

Every year I write about the 'Clean Snowmobile Challenge' for our state snowmobile association's newspaper and the last few years there have been a few all-electric entries. If I remember, I'll post up the latest when I write the article. The tech is very similar.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I had given allot of thought to doing a pure electric conversion on a astrovan. I had thought to get the brushless motor out of a electric forklift as well as the controler panel. They will even run a hydrolic pump that can be controlled seperatly so you can have power steering. If you mount the engine back where the trans would normaly have sat you have all the space under the hood for batteries plus where the fuel tank used to be.

If it will move 20000lbs of forklift and pallet you should be able to score some huge smoke shows when you gear it up and stuff it in a 5000lbs van.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

i have been wanting to do something like this for years. but never the time or money to start looking for the stuff and/or to do it. 8-[
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon