Brake line and fitting sizes

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
huntnfreak
I am merely driving my van

Brake line and fitting sizes

Post by huntnfreak »

Hey, great site guys. Lots of good information. I need some and I hope you guys can help me. Gotta few bad lines on certification for my 2000 Safari van, rear wheel drive and hope to buy the bulk line and the fittings to do the job. Canada van and I have to change 2 fronts from ABS module to the flex hoses and one main line from ABS module to the tee and maybe beyond. Want to have parts ready before cracking lines. Any ideas please?

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: Brake line and fitting sizes

Post by rlsllc »

3/16" and 1/4" is all that is used on these vans, 3/16th in the front, and 1/4" to the rear, then a T and 3/16th to the rear wheels on the axle. You may need to reuse the nuts on the stock lines, they may be special oversize ones.

Topic author
huntnfreak

Post by huntnfreak »

Perfect. I will head to the parts store and grab a roll of each and get to it. Thanks for the info rlsllc

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Good luck man. I have done what seems like miles of brake and fuel line over the years, it never gets old.

On the special tube nuts, often the parts store have them on short pieces of tubing, with a regular tube nut on the other end. You can buy these and cut them off if needed, like if yours are beyond use. I have held them with vice grips and drilled them out before when a line twists off in them, but it is a bugger.

robertg
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by robertg »

i THINK that the line nuts do need to be re-used, at the abs module.

here's a heads up..... at the abs module, make a diagram of what line goes where! it saves a bunch of time trying to decipher where the lines go :)
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

Topic author
huntnfreak

Post by huntnfreak »

Lots of good info. Thanks guys. Would like to use the copper/nickel stuff but will probably go for the middle of the road poly coat tube. Steel lasted well and this should be better. Three times the money for the copper/nickel tube here in Ontario. Will buy new fittings but I will pay close attention to the ABS fittings to see if different. Thanks again boys. I'll keep you posted.

robertg
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by robertg »

that poly coated steel line is pretty good stuff!
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

Topic author
huntnfreak

Post by huntnfreak »

Went with the poly coated. Job went well. Stops like a new van. I appreciate all the advise guys. Talk to you on the next problem. Oh yeah...the lines were all 1/4 inch except for the back two where they go from the tee to the brake cylinders. Thanks guys.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Almost all 1/4"?

Interesting.

Funny how thing vary, I replace most of the lines on my 99 AWD when I did the engine swap, and it had 3/16" to both front wheels, and the right front line was around 12' long.

I've never worked on anything newer than a 1999, and I know GM did make some changes in 2000 (and some late 1999s).

I'm just glad it worked out.

:cheers: