MY FIRST ASTRO

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Myfirst Astro
I am merely driving my van

MY FIRST ASTRO

Post by Myfirst Astro »

Hi all !!!
I have just bought my first Astro =D>
All was running well.................. #-o I new nothing about past service histrory so i thought i had better do some basic things, so i changed the air filter, Rotor cap and arm and fuel filter, havent done the oil and oil filter yet or plugs. But i did put some fuel cleaner stuff in the tank.

And thats when it all seemed to start :whistle: rough idle, its all over the place, fast,slow, ok, stall. :cry:
Also sometimes under acceleration it stutters then goes,
I have checked the vaccum pipes some needed changing, which i did, most "seem ok"
checked the EGR seems ok
i have got code 33 (MAP SENSOR) but i swapped it and am still getting same code
code 45 02 sensor.
Its crazy, and really ruining what really is a nice little van to drive

soooooooooo
anyone with any ideas that might help

regards
1991 4.2 RWD 315000kms. Z engine code. Air Con

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: MY FIRST ASTRO

Post by snapple »

Hi, Welcome to the site! Fill out your sig with year & model info.That will help determine future diagnosis issues. Great folks here! Someone will chime in here soon with suggestions soon,just not me! Because I'd be totally guessing! :D
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Topic author
Myfirst Astro

Post by Myfirst Astro »

Thanks
Duly noted :cheers:

I have added the info on my sig
1991 4.2 RWD 315000kms. Z engine code. Air Con

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

welcome to the site...

i would double check the spark plug wires if you replaced the cap, it's easy to have 2 crossed...you didn't spray anything on the engine to clean it off, did you? sometimes that stuff will get in the coil or a connector and cause issues...

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

PLEASE . when you find out what it is .... let us know here as i'm going through the same thing with my wifes van right now . it just popped up one day and the codes i'm getting are MAF sensor low voltage circut & crank position sensor low voltage .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

welcome to the site.
check the vacuum hose to the map sensor, remove it and inspect it all around.
I've had fuel pumps crap out right after a fuel filter change, coincident with having added fuel injector cleaner to the tank.
pull the O2 sensor and inspect the business end of it. The injector cleaner might have done its job and carboned up the O2 sensor in the process.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

the european

Post by the european »

d3athm3talh3ad wrote:...check the spark plug wires if you replaced the cap, it's easy to have 2 crossed...
when it happened directly after the service, i'd say the same...

greetd from germany

derek
Astro Starcraft 4wd ext ° 2" lift ° 11/97 ° 255/55R18 ° 1GBEL19W4VB
Astro Aero 2wd ext ° 06/96 ° 235/60R15 ° 1GBDM19W2TB
Astro 2wd short ° stock ° 07/87 ° 1GNDM15Z9H
http://www.astro-van.de

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

or even a plug wire not seated well on a spark plug, now that I think about it.
Last time I did a tune-up I went the grab one of the wires to give it a pull and it literally fell off the plug into my hand.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

safariobsession
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safariobsession »

Since you changed the cap/rotor...check to see if the pick-up coil wiring is pinched between the distributor base and cap. My dad and i have had ineteresting problems with the wiring in there. Also, did any connectors get bumped? (Throttle Possition Sensor?) Possible debris lodged in throttle boddy area (idle air control needle) when changing air filter?
Van sold April 2009 -->

Image Image

Current Mods:

Diamond-Cut Headlights.......................Clear Corners.....
Gloss Black Wheels......P235/70-15 Firehawk Indy 500 tires
Pioneer CD/MP3 Player.....800W Legacy Amp.....Two 10" Sonys
Dynomax Super Turbo......SunPro Tach......GMC Truck Badged
Heated/Cooled Center Console......750 Watt Inverter with Custom 120V outlet

clarkperez2334

Post by clarkperez2334 »

If it is the pickup coil, then you should perform a pickup coil test. I did this with my AC Delco Pickup Coil.
You will have to use a special low-voltage test light. This is how you do the test: (1)find the signal output wire from the pick-up, (2) measure the output while the engine is being cranked. You should see an on-off pulse indicated by the light blinking on and off. Providing the stator has it's power supply and ground needed to operate, and that the distributor is turning as needed while the engine is being cranked. If this fails, then you need to replace it.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

might want to check the dates on these posts before posting a response...this one is over a year old

name's Steve