i'm from cleveland, and i am an astroholic.

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
patgizz
I get chills without my van.

i'm from cleveland, and i am an astroholic.

Post by patgizz »

just picked up astro 4 not long ago, still have #2 and #3. my dad bought #1 brand new in 85 and i got it in 96 when he was done with it. apoligies for pic sizes if they are too big, my computer is fubar and i am working off a netbook with no photo program and uploading straight from my phone.

#2 is a 95 cargo, not keeping it much longer. at one point it had body cladding off an LS and impala SS wheels.

#3 is a 96 LS factory 2wd . bought it in 07 with bad engine. fixed engine, then something else broke so it sat for a couple years until i got to it.

day it came home

today i am finishing up 3/4 ton SAS with 54" leafs up front, 14 bolt disc brake rear, and 350/700r4/np208

#4 is a white 98 cargo. day 1 i added the body cladding to cover up some down low rust, took off the too large tires and steel wheels and gave them to my dad for his suburban, and put on the aluminum wheels and tires off the 96 LS.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: i'm from cleveland, and i am an astroholic.

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome! Yeah you have the Astro crack addiction!!!!

More on the 96 SAS! :supz:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I like this guy already!
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Welcome! Yeah you have the Astro crack addiction!!!!

More on the 96 SAS! :supz:
What Dean said!! Welcome, You've found the right place! :cheers:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Lockboy1691

Post by Lockboy1691 »

welcome to the family i have only been on for a few weeks but that is because i lost my original account name but i can't wait to see more of your stuff. :supz:
1992 Astro Van Ext - First van Multicolored Beat to crap
1994 Astro Van Ext - Second van finally V8 powered and lookin sexy!
Son of Lockdoc

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

hmm... i must say.. a cargo with cladding looks pretty neat :-k

welcome to the forum. if you ever get your old pc fixed.. i'd like to see more pics of that blue one with the gold cladding and center caps on the ss wheels.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

i originally got the cladding idea because the blue 95 was just so beat up down low and had some cancer(it was a $300 "ran but now it doesnt" deal). so i went up to the junkyard, paid $125 or so, came home with all the cladding and bumpers and slapped it on. i was looking for silver but they only had gold, so that is what i used. and it looked so good and unique that i figured any astro i get from here on will get it. the cladding on the white van is the set off the blue one, which is now rocking the screw holes and silicone from the install. plates expired yesterday on the blue one, and it will be going to a new home - super cheap - with 187,000 on the clock.

the blue one worked perfect for me, i do remodeling work so when i did not need my big dually and enclosed trailer for a small job i loaded up the astro. the white one will fill its shoes shortly, right now i have my mom driving it and looking for a less cargo more comfort astro or safari for her, preferably an AWD.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Nice introductory post.

And nice Chevelle.

Yeah, how bout starting a SAS thread in the 4x4 section of the forum. =D> Looking forward to it.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

now you've got my head thinking about an awd cargo with cladding, rear dutch doors, the composite headlights (and grill) like on your black one .. and 4 quad buckets LOL :-k raise it 2" in the winter and lower it in the summer... much easier just with cranking the torsion bars up or down on an awd :-k

how did you actually attach all the cladding? you mentioned silicone and screws ... you just drill right through the cladding into the rockers or did you actually have the metal brackets they mount on?
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

the cladding is mostly attached to plastic "brackets" that are two side taped to the van. i removed the cladding, then used a putty knife to remove the brackets. on the work vans, because they are work vans and you never see how the stuff is attached, i just used some silicone and self tapping screws. if you measure right, then the cladding hooks right over the top bracket and snaps to the bottom one(in the case of the doors) or clips up through the bottom of the rocker panels in factory holes.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

They will let just about anyone on this board.... :butthead: :D Hi Pat!!!! Wow, just thinkin', I've known you through the internet for almost 11 yrs. =D>
I didn't know you had any vans when I was up there.
You still got the 54 Chev? Look like you got more junk sitting at your house than when I was up there......hahahahaha
Are you done with the lumina projects?
You know, I pulled motor from that old tractor and it's still running strong on another one and pushing that snow blower you gave me.....I still think about you when I'm out doing the drive.

peelers
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by peelers »

dango bango!! nice looking chevelle
2000 Astro AWD/Volant Cool Air Intake/Gibson Cat Back Exhaust/External Trans Cooler/3.73/Dog Kennel-Surf/Snow Mobber-Travel Trailer Puller-Machine --- AKA Vanessa