Nooob from New Orleans

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
kkamakasi
I am smitten with my van

Nooob from New Orleans

Post by kkamakasi »

Hello guys and gals!

Name is James from New Orleans. I actually do not own an Astro but my father does and I do all the maintenance/repair for my family and friends so I decided to join to get schooled and hopefully add some contributions to this site.

The car is MY2003 Chevy Astro Cargo with just over 100,000 miles.

I'm looking to do plugs, transmission fluid, diff fluid, coolant flush in the coming weeks. If you want to help out and post a link to a thread with some information regarding any of these maintenance items, I'd really appreciate it!

:cheers:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Nooob from New Orleans

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome! Look in the respective section and you'll find lots of info. We also have a General Procedures section that has some How-to's.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Welcome to the site James. The members here know pretty much everything that isn't in the book.
If you've not done the plugs on an astro before, you'll "love " that experience. Some guys pull the wheel and the inner fender and go in that way. I lay on my back under the van and do it by braille.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

sounds like you covered all the 100,000 mile maintenance procedures already, like they said plugs are fun, start early so you dont run out of daylight, hahaha!
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
kkamakasi
I am smitten with my van

Post by kkamakasi »

kings-x59 wrote:Welcome to the site James. The members here know pretty much everything that isn't in the book.
If you've not done the plugs on an astro before, you'll "love " that experience. Some guys pull the wheel and the inner fender and go in that way. I lay on my back under the van and do it by braille.
GnarliSafari wrote:sounds like you covered all the 100,000 mile maintenance procedures already, like they said plugs are fun, start early so you dont run out of daylight, hahaha!
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Looks like I have an Astro experience coming my way with the plugs.. Hopefully I'll be able to get it done without too much trouble.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome, James. Spark plugs are a bit time consuming. Some are best done from inside and others from through the wheel well. A spark plug socket with a U joint and some different length extensions are real handy.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

GnarliSafari wrote:sounds like you covered all the 100,000 mile maintenance procedures already, like they said plugs are fun, start early so you dont run out of daylight, hahaha!
now that is a great tip right there
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....