My XP computer

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

My XP computer

Post by 1Gary »

As some of you know I have had to use my back-up 95 windows computer because my XP computer has been down due to I hope viruses.So on Sunday I took the XP into Lytespeed computers to have them look at it.They are going to charge me $90.00 to look at it(again hope that is all that is wrong with it) and remove the virus.While I was there,I asked them if it could be upgraded to windows 7.They told me it lacked a video card and couldn't be upgraded.I'll be the first one to say I am lacking in computer knowledge and I likely asked the wrong question about a upgrade.

So is there a upgrade I should ask for given a XP??.Which one??.

The monitor I have been using is small and really old.Measured about 11" x 8".Thinking I want a better one,but right now I have to look at the used market.Please suggest what brand name or what models I should look for.

This whole time I have been using this stuff and computers at work which at times the ones at work are as bad as the ones at home.On Friday I went to the library because what I was trying to do here was timing out to use their Dell 2002 computers which I guess in computer tech is out of date.But still I saw what I was missing here and want to try to do what I can about it.

Somewhat computer related,I recently found out the dial-up service is really costing me more then high speed.Going to call them to get high speed finally.

Thank you all in advance for the advise guys,

Gary
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Re: My XP computer

Post by MountainManJoe »

Get a laptop. Then you can lay in bed while posting to ASV.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Away from work I use a Netbook. I haven't asked it to do anything that the little thing couldn't do yet and when I feel the need of a bigger monitor I can plug it into a desktop monitor. Bought two at $300 a piece at Best Buy and had 0% interest for 18 months. On black Friday I saw Netbooks with the same specs as ours on sale for $150. :yikes:

Word of caution, if you go the Netbook route make sure it has XP or 7 there are a couple really cheap ones running CE and they absolutely suck.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

If your needs are basic then the cheAp nettop/netbook/other combos will probably do you fine. You could get a whole set up to replace what you have for under ( maybe way unde) $500. I will add some links here in a little bit to show you what I would suggest.
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon

leadtrombone

Post by leadtrombone »

Laptops - (not netbooks) from 400 - 500 $ - Any of these should be good for your basic computing needs.http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 20-%20$500

Netbooks - $200 - $300 these have kinda small screens but you can use your old monitor or get a good big one and use it with. Make sure it has a VGA or DVI port in the specs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 20-%20$300

All in ones - $400 - $500. Monitor and computer in one. These in theis range are mostly nettops with the monitor. Good for your basic needs but not a whole lot more. They don't take a lot of deskspace and you get a decent sized monitor on most of 'em. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 20-%20$500

Regular desktops - sorta $200 - $300. The non recertified ones are nettops.. but the fist two on this list look pretty ok. No monitor on these for the most part. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 20-%20$300

I think you will find that a lot of the cheaper netbooks, and nettops might have win XP on them but most of the newest models will have win7 or win7 starter (think less features but should be usable).

There are a lot of option and i know i have bought a complete combo for around $500 with computer + monitor (keyboard and mouse natch). That was a compaq branded deal and it still does me good. It won't play big name games and is slower that my laptop but it still was a good deal. Similar stuff will be around especially at the big box stores.

Don't expect good customer service at those places or even the best info. But sometime they have pretty decent deals. I prefer online retailers like Newegg.com . There are others like tiger direct that have had good reputations.

Good luck. Good Hunting.

(if you post the specs on your current machine i might be able to steer you on the upgradepath if you don't mind the adventure.......)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I decided to get my daughter a netbook or a notebook for Christmas. On the cheap. Ended up buying her a nice little notebook at Best Buy yesterday for $350.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Lapt ... 8243226535

It's not top of the line, but I figure it is a good compromise. It will serve her well and is cheap enough that I won't be completely pissed if it gets broken or stolen. (Well, I will, but it won't hurt quite as much as dropping $500 or more.)

I discovered there were really no great netbook deals compared to notebooks. For me the key was not having a DVD drive on the netbooks, and the downsized computing power. I'd still like to have one for traveling... if I can get one for $150 to $200. I couldn't find any in that range.

And I gotta say I love Best Buy's buy it online feature. I logged on yesterday morning, bought it, then went to the store around noon to pick it up. Nothing pisses me off more than going to a store and finding the 'great deals' (with only 5 on hand) sold out already.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Bad news.The XP's mother board is fried.Really don't want a lap top with my sore big hands.

Rochester,NY

leadtrombone

Post by leadtrombone »

What are you looking at spending on something to replace. What are your computing needs.

here is a all in one for $499 (can save 20$ more right now). Should be good for most basic needs and gets you a decent sized monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

shop around Gary, the wife and I just bought a toshiba laptop for our oldest daughter at Best Buy for $200 - 2 gig RAM and a 250 gig hard drive.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Guess I'm going to wait until after the holidays.I keep saying that I have arthritis real bad in both hands combined with really big hands so a laptop is not a consideration.A least not right now.For me to function,I need a desk top and the keys it has.That desk top has to be able to have a usb port for reasonable pictures that will mate up with my camera's Cannon program.The windows 98 that I am typing on right now will not accept that program.

It kind of (sorry guys for the term,but how I feel) sucks the XP is junk.I was sooo looking forward to getting it back and build a little more with a new larger monitor.Them telling me it can't be fixed at a reasonable price is kind of hard for me to accept.Them wanting $500 to $600 with no guarantees sounds like a company that doesn't want to do the work wanting to sell me a new computer.As I said,I don't know much about computers,but I thought the mother boards would be a plug in.They told me the mother board had some burnt capacitors and didn't know if the damage went further until those where replaced.Servers etc.Told me the mother boards are not available any longer,yet windows xp has been extended for support for two yrs.Might get a second opinion........

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

What is the problem with your computer, Gary?

I highly recommend you watch these videos before parting with any more greenbacks.
http://www.wimp.com/fixcomputer/
http://www.wimp.com/geeksquad/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx2V0do4vSs
A second opinion is not a bad idea. Better yet, ask your favourite "techie" friend to look at it for a case of beer, or at least ask him to come to the computer shop with you.

As for upgrading, computers are designed for something called "planned obsolescence". Like most disposable consumer products these days, they don't want you using your computer for a long time. Bill Gates decides the newest Windows operating system will only run on the newest processor. Intel decides the newest processor will only plug into the newest motherboard. When they're really feeling creative, the newest motherboard will only fit in the newest metal box, and you might as well throw the whole thing out. This is how the whole industry makes money when all you want to do is get photos from the new camera you got for Christmas (or whatever) :yawinkle:

kamenz
I get chills without my van.

Post by kamenz »

Gary maybe you should give craigslist a try.You might find a good used one.
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Gary,

I would only add that a decent notebook pc will accommodate an auxiliary monitor and keyboard...

Think full size.

Jim

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

That's true. I added a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to mine + a 27" LCD.

I hate the mouse though, I'm thinking about getting a pen tablet or trackball.

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Well I took the xp computer to a second repair shop.They left a msg they could transfer my data to a second computer threw a process which is called "imaging" and they said is experimental.Please guys I need your input.

Rochester,NY