Blackout Sealed-Beam Grill?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Blackout Sealed-Beam Grill?

Post by Herbie »

OK guys, this may be a bit unorthodox, but bear with me.

I was pulling the last of the parts I needed from the GTRV donor van before I send it to scrap, and I decided to pull the grill and bits and it got me thinking:

I know most people prefer the composite beam grill, and I did too originally, but lately I've started to notice that the latest generation of vans out there have a more squared-off beam design and blackout grills.

What if I transferred this sealed-beam grill after painting the whole thing matte black? I think it would actually make the van look a bit more contemporary, whereas the composite-lamps are starting to look a bit late-90's dated to me, and that lone chrome bar has always looked odd unless the paint is super-shiny (which mine never is!)

I'm not sure if I care about the GMC vs. Bow-Tie badging, since I'm pretty sure I have a set of "GMC Truck" caps I can swap for my bowtie wheel covers. The only other Chevy indicator is on the back door and that will be covered soon anyhow (fuel cans, etc.) Personally, I think this will look pretty cool after the lift goes on. On the plus side, I have all the parts and if I'm careful with how I do the wiring, it'll be reversible and only cost me some time and a rattle-can of matte-black.

I would take the bumper and do it too, but the donor bumper is in bad shape, so I may have to decide if I want to commit then possibly follow up (or build that tube-steel bumper with receiver that I've been wanting). As a matter of fact, when I DO put on a more offroad-appropriate bumper, the blackout grill and lamp buckets should help tie everything together a bit.

What do you think?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Blackout Sealed-Beam Grill?

Post by 1Gary »

Herbie,

I like the way that looks.Not sure what or how you could do it.The Caddy front swap does require some fender reshaping and filler.

If your going to do this,please keep the pic's and posts coming.I'll be setting in the cheap seats here cheering you on.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Dude, I think it would be sweet. I've been thinking about blacking mine out this winter.

At the risk of divulging my own ignorance, what Caddy swap are you referring too, G? Did I miss something?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

T.Low wrote:Dude, I think it would be sweet. I've been thinking about blacking mine out this winter.

At the risk of divulging my own ignorance, what Caddy swap are you referring too, G? Did I miss something?
I think someone did an Escalade grill swap at some point. Looked cool for that sort of "genre". My aesthetic is running more towards the "mini-Sportsmobile" look. :)

Edit: yeah, it starts on page 3 of this thread and goes on from there.
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Got it, thanks.

Yeah, the swap and paint idea you have would look awesome yet still factory.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Do It!

I think it will look great!

I can't wait to see it!

:bounce:
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

I think maybe a couple of you guys are confusing the stock Safari grill/sealed beam parts on the ground there and the idea of actually swapping the GMC Savanna front end onto the Astro.

Blacked out? I'll always think of this one.
2nd post.
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6621

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

loopie wrote:I think maybe a couple of you guys are confusing the stock Safari grill/sealed beam parts on the ground there and the idea of actually swapping the GMC Savanna front end onto the Astro.

Blacked out? I'll always think of this one.
2nd post.
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6621
Yeah, I'd just be painting/swapping the safari grill and sealed beam parts, but I'm referencing the newer Savanna for the aesthetic I'm shooting for. That's one of a few blacked-out grills I've seen, and I'm liking it. Here's another one I found in Japan, that I could do with my existing hardware:

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

that one looks good too. I think I actually like that one better.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

Herbie wrote: Here's another one I found in Japan, that I could do with my existing hardware:
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just did this to mine over the weekend:

In my case, my grill was broken, and I epoxied it back together, so I painted it mainly to mask the "welds" a bit, but it also always bugged me that the grill was the only chrome (albeit fake chrome) on the car, while all the rest of the trim was black.

I think it looks great, but I think it would look even better with a set of black "Projector" headlights, like these:

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

Herbie wrote:I know most people prefer the composite beam grill, and I did too originally, but lately I've started to notice that the latest generation of vans out there have a more squared-off beam design and blackout grills.

What do you think?
I think if you are going for a base/cargo look it's the way go go.

in actuality, that's all it is. as seen below is a step up from base, still not an option loaded by any means, with composite headlight/signal light assembly.

personally, i'd go with the newer truck style as opposed to the van style. again that's a personal preference and the ONLY thing that I associate with the 'newer' look. i mean if you're simply doing matte black a safari grill and just want to bolt it on, this is a bit much. no matter whether you go with a Chevy or GMC

Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*