Another new guy from Oklahoma!

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Another new guy from Oklahoma!

Post by OKflyboy »

Hi I'm Ara and I'm from the Tulsa area.

I don't have an Astro/Safari yet, but I'm looking at 'em. I currently drive an '02 Z-28 but its getting too small for the kiddos. The wife wants a Mini-van, I want an SUV (Well, I really don't want to lose the Camaro, but life happens, y'know...) so our possible compromise is an Astro/Safari with some Overland goodies. Nothing over the top, probably just a 2" lift, some 235/75/15s and a tube bumper - just enough to ditch the soccer-mom look.

Actually, I'm curious if Dan from OVL makes any appearances over here. I really like the look of this van from his image page,
But there's no info on it. I'm wondering how much lift and what wheel/tire combo was used.

And, just for gits ands shiggles, here's the current DD:

Great forum y'all have here, and I look forward to learning alot.

Thanks!

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Another new guy from Oklahoma!

Post by kings-x59 »

Welcome to the site neighbor! If you want a van like that, you have come to the right place. Hmmm, ya know, that camaro might make a nice donor vehicle for a V8 swap into a 4x4 Astro or Safari...I'm just sayin' :-k
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Welcome to the world of Astro/Safari. Some great folks here..all willing to help.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

The welcoming committee is really slacking here.... :swords:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You're right, Steve. My bad....... ](*,) Ara, welcome to the site. This is the right place for Astro/Safari info. There's a load of good info and a bunch of great people. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Smiliesafari wrote:You're right, Steve. My bad....... ](*,) Ara, welcome to the site. This is the right place for Astro/Safari info. There's a load of good info and a bunch of great people. \:D/
X2!

Welcome! :bounce:

If you have questions or need help with V-8 and/or lifted vans, you are in the right place!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

Thanks guys. No worries about the late welcome, I've been so busy at work this week I really hadn't had much time for the internet until tonight.

Had a coworker ask me, out of the blue, today if I wanted to sell my Camaro. So... May be getting an Astro sooner then planned. We'll see.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep reading 'round here.

Thanks again!

Ara

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Miss my Z,,is that a 6sp ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

Rebel wrote:Miss my Z,,is that a 6sp ?
Yup.

Well, I figure its worth ~$6k but my coworker could only come up with $4k so the deal fell through.

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

I'm back, and I have an Astro of my very own, this time! :guitar:

Traded the Z-28 today.

Its an '03 Astro, 140K on the clock. Tow/haul package (no hitch on it currently, though...) Its got a few scratches and such, but then, so did the Camaro...

It'll probably be tax return time next year before anything major is done to her, but the plan is to do a 2" Overland kit with some bigger tires, an Overland tube bumper and some KC style lights. Nothing major, just enough to take the "boring minivan" out of it...

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

Well, a couple more weeks and she'll be getting some mods. I guess the tube bumper is out, as I see Gerald isn't stocking exactly the same merchandise that Dan was. Oh well. Still on track for a 2" lift though. Also thinking about HIDs or Projector conversion.

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

Nice!...and I agree 100%, a few mild mods and these vans really stand out from the crowd...opening a few eyes along the way from within the "blinders on" crowd.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Congrats on the new wheels, looks good. Like others have said you will find all the info you need...you will be overwhelmed, in a good way!
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

Thanks guys! Will keep everyone posted as the mods begin (as soon as I get my tax return)