Advice wanted... '96 vs. '05?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
AstroWyo
I am merely driving my van

Advice wanted... '96 vs. '05?

Post by AstroWyo »

I'm looking for good advice but will hear out bad advice.

My '96 Astro has been parked for a coupla years with a bad intake gasket- bad enough that it left a coolant residue on the back windows. I parked it to minimize the damage.

Been considering my options forever.

Went to do taxes today for my 7 month old LLC. It'll be a while before I recover.

My accountant said it wouldn't hurt to depreciate a vehicle through the company. Now you might be saying "a ha!" Man's nature will find a way.

Then, I got to thinking: there's lots more depreciation in an '05 Astro. So I perused lightly.

My choices are thus: register the '96, fix it for $400-$5000, depending on damage. Then, the lift kit.

OR, buy the '05 for about $9k if it's good, depreciate more, then, the lift kit.

As I understand it, the difference between the two: dutch doors/barn doors- I don't care, 16" wheels, better brakes, suspension upgrades?, new trans case. Is the new one better? I've read some negative comments about it. What else is different? Better crash test rating, I know.

Is it worth it? Feel free to weigh in if you know something about taxes, too.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Advice wanted... '96 vs. '05?

Post by 1Gary »

I don't remember any tax questions related to these vans on the forum before.But with the 96 I do think you could use that as a tax benefit for a longer time period.Let's say you bought a crate Jasper engine and had it installed.I would think tops it wouldn't go beyond $4,000.And that is a high estimate.That is saying what you have isn't a repairable situation and it might be.

I would suggest you have a shop you trust look at your 96 and then go on from there. :-k
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

A tax question....and he isn't even a Canadian.
What to hells go'in down there. :cheers:

Peter

chevymaher
I get chills without my van.

Post by chevymaher »

Im not sure how much brakes you need.Mine older than dirt.My mom ask me once why the rear wheels were squeeling when she stopped.Followed her one day.She was standing on the brakes so hard the rear tires were coming up and quit spinning.When she let off the brakes a little they barked coming down.So they all seem to have good brakes.
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

I know when I started my company back in '05 I wanted to buy an older van but the accountant leaned me towards the van I have now ( it was only 3 years old at the time ).
His advice was that
A: the payments, fuel, and insurance would be paid for by the company. Being that the van was a GMAC financed the payments were easier to track and prove if audited versus getting an older van and fixing it up.
B: It also shows as a higher valued asset/collateral "on the books" when you need to take out a loan or get financing

There will be obvious differences between Can and US but it made sense to me. I made good sense when I had to open up a line of credit for the Company. Because the company was so new and I was the sole employee I had to list every asset I had ( van, car, racking, desks, chairs, computers everything ). Now 5 years later the van is long since paid off so I can write of maintenence, fuel, ins, ect.

Now you have me confused by the depreciation value of the vehicle. I know when I do my taxes it is calulated as part of the mileage ( because the van is used 100% for company use right :P ), or are you looking at financing the cost of the rebuild on your 96 and see if the tax man will let you write it off ??

Topic author
AstroWyo

Post by AstroWyo »

Thanks.

I probably have one of the dumbest looks on any taxpayer's face when at the accountant. As I understand it, I can write off repairs, registration, taxes, insurance. I've left the concept of depreciation out of my brain to allow for more valuable brain functions like remembering music trivia. I think it means that the more I pay for a vehicle (as long as it's fair market value) the more I can use as a deduction. So, spend the money so I don't have to pay taxes on it. Is that right?

I'm having a hard time with spending a ton of money on a newer van but could see how it might be important for my work van to have a lift kit and deduct that cost and the cost of any surprise repairs that come up after the company purchases my van. I don't buy expensive vehicles so it's hard for me to think of doing that.

The '05 is still an unknown to me. I don't know what makes it better, really. Doesn't seem like there's much more than the thought of having something newer.

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Meterpig »

Here you go.

You don't see a sweet 05 like this come along too often .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 144wt_1162
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Meterpig wrote:Here you go.

Sweet!

I almost bid on it. :)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

AstroWyo wrote: I think it means that the more I pay for a vehicle (as long as it's fair market value) the more I can use as a deduction. So, spend the money so I don't have to pay taxes on it. Is that right?

Correct !! Think of it this way, if you had to pay $100 for a part from you pocket the company has to pay you $120 gross so that you net $100 after taxes to pay for that part. Or the company can pay the $100 and show it as a "cost of business".
The flipside is that your company has to pay taxes on the profit that it generates, so the more writeoffs that a company has ( car leases, building leases, ect ) then there is less revenue left to pay taxes on and you as the employer reap the benefits of driving a newer vehicle while the company picks up the tab.

If you can justify the repairs to the old truck then you can write them off. For example my freind runs a sign compnay and beats thru a truck every 5 years or so. Each replacement truck he gets he has to put on a lift kit, a winch, and big tires because he puts up signs in the middle of muddy fields under developement and its a legitimate writeoff. My company being transportation based couldn't write that off because I would have no use for something like that.

Topic author
AstroWyo

Post by AstroWyo »

I saw that '05 on e bay, too. Very nice. Kinda far from Wyoming, though, for something I can't even look over. I think it's in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Anybody from Detroit area want to look at it?

Thanks for taking me to the next level in understanding vehicle write-offs. I doubt that I could justify the lift kit but that's okay.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

blacknome wrote:
AstroWyo wrote: I think it means that the more I pay for a vehicle (as long as it's fair market value) the more I can use as a deduction. So, spend the money so I don't have to pay taxes on it. Is that right?

Correct !! Think of it this way, if you had to pay $100 for a part from you pocket the company has to pay you $120 gross so that you net $100 after taxes to pay for that part. Or the company can pay the $100 and show it as a "cost of business".
The flipside is that your company has to pay taxes on the profit that it generates, so the more writeoffs that a company has ( car leases, building leases, ect ) then there is less revenue left to pay taxes on and you as the employer reap the benefits of driving a newer vehicle while the company picks up the tab.....

It never ceases to amaze me how most people seem to think that writing off expenses in the company is like a magic cookie jar with a bottomless pit :muhaha:

If you started your company in 05', chances are you needed to borrow some money to do so, right? Depending on how much, chances are you need to submit year-end reports (if you're lucky, un-audited which costs much less). So essentially, you need to put on a dog'n pony show for your bank manager every year 'till the loan gets payed off.

Yes, it's great to write stuff off in the company's name. And very true, the less profit you show, the less Mr Tax-man gets (not sure,but I believe that corporate taxes run around 20-25% in my case). But if you owe even just $50k and you show your bank manager a loss every year (which is great for tax purposes, it gets carried over the following year), you think he's gonna be a happy camper? I say "Nay nay"!

Now if you borrowed nothing and don't have to impress anyone, great. You're lucky. Remember though, if you ever do need to borrow for another vehicle, tools etc, or need a line-of-credit, your past financial statements may kick you in the gonads.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Welcome back Peter. I hope all is well. :supz:

Peter

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i know nothing about biz taxes/write offs
Meterpig wrote:Here you go.

wow, an as/fari with no cracks in the driver side arm rest AND still has the rubber cup holder inserts :yikes: that in itself has got to be worth $5000 :-k
very clean too, very rarely see black ones up here
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

peter wrote:
blacknome wrote:

The flipside is that your company has to pay taxes on the profit that it generates, so the more writeoffs that a company has ( car leases, building leases, ect ) then there is less revenue left to pay taxes on and you as the employer reap the benefits of driving a newer vehicle while the company picks up the tab.....

It never ceases to amaze me how most people seem to think that writing off expenses in the company is like a magic cookie jar with a bottomless pit :muhaha:

If you started your company in 05', chances are you needed to borrow some money to do so, right? Depending on how much, chances are you need to submit year-end reports (if you're lucky, un-audited which costs much less). So essentially, you need to put on a dog'n pony show for your bank manager every year 'till the loan gets payed off.

Yes, it's great to write stuff off in the company's name. And very true, the less profit you show, the less Mr Tax-man gets (not sure,but I believe that corporate taxes run around 20-25% in my case). But if you owe even just $50k and you show your bank manager a loss every year (which is great for tax purposes, it gets carried over the following year), you think he's gonna be a happy camper? I say "Nay nay"!

Now if you borrowed nothing and don't have to impress anyone, great. You're lucky. Remember though, if you ever do need to borrow for another vehicle, tools etc, or need a line-of-credit, your past financial statements may kick you in the gonads.
Very true, and it can be easy to get carried away with spending if you are not accustomed to managing money. With that in mind I would like to add that running your own business can be very high stress and has no safety net. The beating I took over the last 2 years sucked up the previous 2 years of profits. This makes me long for the days of 9-5, payiing your taxes on-time, a steady paycheque, help with labour, and vacation time. Like Peter stated it's not all a cookie jar full O cash.

But if you are in it, and are risking your credit to do so, write off what you can.