Hi from Anchorage

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Pablo1960
I am merely driving my van

Hi from Anchorage

Post by Pablo1960 »

I've been lurking on your site since I bought my 2003 Astro AWD in April of 2006. I appreciate the wealth of information. My Astro is stock except I removed the rear seat and built a platform/bed the same height as the folded middle seat. Most of the time, the middle seat is up, so I have seating for 5. When traveling, I fold the middle seat down, unfold the futon mattress....and I have a nice bed with plenty of storage underneath. I also bought a roll of foil bubble wrap insulation and cut out templates for all the windows. In the winter, it takes me about 4 minutes to put the insulation up, and I have a cozy camper good down to 0 degrees F (-17C).
Temporary platform/bed with storage underneath.
Temporary platform/bed with storage underneath.

I just retired, and as soon as I sell my townhouse, I'll be moving to Colorado (I like winter, it's just that Anchorage has a little TOO MUCH winter). I'll be towing a trailer and loading up the van again, so I just invested in Timbren SES springs for the front and rear of my van. I'll try to get a write up of the install in the suspension section (quick review....I like them: The fronts firm up the ride, I can feel the road much better, reduced front end dive while braking, and not so much top-heavy van roll in turns. I don't even know the rears are there. Install: Rears are easy and take 5-10 minutes per side. Fronts are a little more interesting. I'd say 30-40 minutes per side).
Overloaded Astro and trailer.  Made it to Alaska. April 2006.
Overloaded Astro and trailer. Made it to Alaska. April 2006.
April 2006.JPG (27.67 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

Thanks for all your help.
2003 Astro AWD, Timbren SES (front and rear), temporary rear platform/bed for camping.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hi from Anchorage

Post by mdmead »

Lives in AK... moving to CO... and no lift?! What's up with that? :muhaha:

Glad you are enjoying the site and I'm looking forward to future write-ups and pics!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

Welcome to the site. I actually had never heard of timbrens for the front of the van. It must be a awd thing.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome. I'm with Matt...where's the lift? :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Where in Colorado? You may be in for more snow... #-o
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
Pablo1960

Post by Pablo1960 »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Why no lift? 1. I'm a lousy mechanic and a lift kit would tempt me to go places where I'd break things and be really stuck. I'll use the van as a base camp and then hike, run, or ride my mountain bike, Yamaha XT225, or Montesa trials bike on the harder trails. 2. They look great, but I'm I believer in urban camouflage and stealth camping. At a trail head, which car would you break into looking for goodies? The lifted 4X4 Astro, with big fancy tires, heavy duty bumper, winch, gear racks, and a million cool stickers all over it, or a plain looking, soccer mom van, sunshades in the windows, "my kids an honor student" stickers, and maybe even a strategically placed fake "used" diaper baking in the sun? 3. I don't have 2" to spare in the garage where I'll be living in Colorado Springs.

The Alaska Highway. I've driven it 6 times so far, and twice on the Cassiar Highway. 3 x Astro, 3 x Dodge Dakota, 2 x Kawasaki Concours. It's not the adventure it used to be. It's hard to keep your speed down below 70mph. The only bad section is the frost heaves through Kluane National Park....about 100 miles between Destruction Bay, YT and the Alaska Border, 40-50mph max. Even the Cassiar Highway is completely paved now. I had no problems riding it on my Concours. Unfortunately, I've never had the time to explore during the trip. I've always been in a hurry to cover as many miles as possible. It takes between 5-6 days for me to drive from Colorado Springs to Anchorage. The trip is beautiful, but you sort of become numb after 3600 miles of beautiful. In about 4-5 years, after I finish my van conversion, I'd like to take the whole summer to mosey up the Alaska Highway (1 month), see friends, revisit old stomping grounds, explore areas I didn't get a chance when I lived here,...just generally bop around Alaska (2 months), and then mosey back down the Cassiar Highway and explore more of British Columbia (1-2months).

Future Plans for the Astro:
1. Remove the platform/bed and the middle seat
2. Remove headliner and paneling, insert more insulation, reinstall headliner/paneling. Maybe figure out something to insulate the floor, too
3. Bolt locking storage boxes through the floor from behind the drivers seat all the way to the back doors (welding boxes work well 1.5'x2.5' and 12" tall), a folded futon mattress makes a couch by day, unfolded, a bed by night.
4. Swivel passenger seat!
5. Install AGM batteries, isolator and inverter, microwave, hot pot, LED lights, Cyber Accoustic surround sound computer speakers (get the ones that run on 12V and only draw 1-2 amps).
6. Install Espar diesel heater.
7. Curtains
8. Satellite Radio!
(I'll probably think of more as soon as I post this.)

I've already done a conversion of a '97 Astro AWD Cargo van about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I bought an abused ex Fed-Ex van. I bailed on the project before I was finished, but I still have most of the parts. My career then took a couple of interesting turns over the last decade and prevented me from getting back to it. But I'm free now :cheers:

I
2003 Astro AWD, Timbren SES (front and rear), temporary rear platform/bed for camping.

Topic author
Pablo1960

Post by Pablo1960 »

Timbren application chart. Scroll down to vans.
http://www.timbren.com/timbren-applicat ... ev-gmc.htm

Front 2WD (all years) GMFAST

Looks like the install should be easier than the AWD. Gravity is working with you on the 2WD.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Stealth Camping,..........I did quite abit of research a few years ago. Was very interesting some ideas folks came up with.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch