hello everyone!

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
niagaradood
I am smitten with my van

hello everyone!

Post by niagaradood »

:canuk:
just found the site a few nights ago, stay up half the night reading posts and looking at pics! I'm not new to astros, I'm on my third.. so far.. lol
currently I own a 98 astro, basically stock, but there have been a few additions that I've made since I've owned it. installed an equalizer and 400 watt Thump! amp, and a pair of Thump! 8" subs. not meant to out do the guy in the Honda Civic next to me at the red light, but just enough power for ME to enjoy.. the other major improvements are Amsoil full synthetic extended life oil, and Amsoil full synthetic trans fluid, which I've been using for 3 years now.
I wanted my oil guy (Cliff at Fair Lube in Niagara Falls, Ontario) to install a transmission cooler while it was in the shop for service. I have a 17' travel trailer that weighs in at 3000 lbs, so everything was getting hot. he told me that he would guarantee that the full synth trans fluid would make things run cool with the oil cooler. so I tried it, and he was right. I've hauled the trailer all over Ontario on fishing trips, and not only do things run cooler hauling the trailer, but it improved my mileage, not a lot, but a noticeable difference. now, I'm not here to promote anything, just explaining how I have my astro set up. this van has just under 300,000 km and still runs strong. I bought it certified and etested from a dealer, for $4000 including taxes. I saw it from the road, and decided before even test driving it that it was going to be mine.
when I test drove it, I noticed a nasty howl once it was up to 50 kmh. as part of the deal, the dealer was supposed have that howl taken care of. after waiting for several days to get it registered and plated, (they made every excuse in the book), they got the job done on a Saturday, and actually delivered it to my door. I jumped in as fast as I could to take it for a road trip, but never got out of the city, it was still howling. I took it to Mr. Transmission to have it checked because in my opinion, it sounded like a transmission problem. after they tested it, they told me it was the diff that was howling. so I had the van for 48 hours and it needed a $1200 overhaul of the complete rear end.
when I talked to the guys I got it from, they wanted to make a deal, they'd pay for the parts, I pay for the labor.. I told them I had an even better deal, they fix the van as was part of the deal, or they could come pick the van up and give me my $4000 back..
they called me back and told me to take in to the shop and they'd pay the whole thing (of course, being a truck driver, I knew most of the truck inspectors at the inspection station a few miles a way. so I told them I'd have one of them check it to see of the vehicle should have passed a safety inspection.. lol)
drove the van for 9 months and the rear end started howling again. so I took back to the guys that fixed it, and it was still under warranty, so they fixed it, again.. whole new set of bearings, new diff gears, and seals. it lasted for 6 months, and the howling began again. and as my luck goes, the warranty had expired.. this time they gave me a break and rebuilt it for $800. they change a shim in the housing, and it's been fine ever since.
only major engine problem I've had was intake manifold gaskets. at least when they blew out, they blew out instead of into the block..
and I just go t an awesome deal today, picked up an upper dutch door from an 02, in PERFECT condition (other than the color being different) for $100.. that made my day..
I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance to take some fresh ones..
that's my story..
so :cheers: here's to all the people on the site, and the new friends I'm hoping to meet!
Mike niagaradood
Why hello there stress... Nice to see you again... You might want to make yourself comfortable... You will be here for a while!!
current list of wheels:
1998 Chev Astro, 4.3 stock, tow package, leather, duel power seats, power everything else.
1977 Master Coach 17' travel trailer, origionally slept 6, now sleeps 4, 19" LCD flat screen, dvd, over the air digital HD.

Topic author
niagaradood
I am smitten with my van

Re: hello everyone!

Post by niagaradood »

almost forgot, I swapped out the factory cloth seats for a full set of 97 Astro leather split back benches, and power buckets. much more comfortable, as long as it's not -20 out.. lol
Why hello there stress... Nice to see you again... You might want to make yourself comfortable... You will be here for a while!!
current list of wheels:
1998 Chev Astro, 4.3 stock, tow package, leather, duel power seats, power everything else.
1977 Master Coach 17' travel trailer, origionally slept 6, now sleeps 4, 19" LCD flat screen, dvd, over the air digital HD.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Welcome to the good ship ASV Mike, and thanks for intro :cheers:

Topic author
niagaradood
I am smitten with my van

Post by niagaradood »

would anyone have experience with wood trim kits? I saw a small kit a few months ago on ebay and passed it up. they kit was for wood trim around the guage cluster. supposed to be a simple install, but I was wondering:
1. anyone know where to get just the trim for the cluster.
2. will the adhesive on the these things last or will they eventually fall off?
current list of wheels:

JTalley
I sleep in my van

Post by JTalley »

Welcome aboard! :D

Btw, I don't know where you'd get the trim, but as for adhesive, good ones are hard to come by, but I've heard great things about double sided tape. A can of rubber cement might do the trick as well.
Jake

Ed- 1992 Astro, RWD, 4.3l V6 (purchased Feb. 2011)
FlowTech Red Hots glasspack exhaust (finally got it put on there!)
Old rides (earlier to later)
2004 Honda 250 Rebel (my dad's bike, he let me use it)
Neko- 1991 S10 Blazer, 4x4, 4-door (SOLD Feb. 2011)
Custom (aka failed) diy paint job- red with black stripe

Topic author
niagaradood
I am smitten with my van

Post by niagaradood »

finally have a few minutes, so time to post a few pics of the beast..
they were taken on fishing trips. :canuk:
Attachments
IMG_1736 edit.jpg
IMG_1257 edit.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg
current list of wheels:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Nice and clean! :supz:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy