Front Washer Pump Power loss. Circuit info on power?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
tripplec
I am smitten with my van

Front Washer Pump Power loss. Circuit info on power?

Post by tripplec »

My front washer pump stopped working. I had a look and the motor for the rear (which is different, not interchangeable) runs and pumps. Front motor does not start. It get about .5 volts when unplugged. The switch on the wiper arm must be activating a relay or some slave switch. The wiper does start I should add but no fluid is pumped.

Anyone know where the contacts are to power these.

My pump assemble looks different than above by I could not open it and thought I had better investigate further. The end of my torque bit started twisting trying to remove one bolt.
Astro AWD LT 1996
315,000km,
rear leaf, tranny cooler, Hercules HP 4000 235P-70/15
CLASS III hitch
Markham, ON, Canada

dragonvan
I get chills without my van.

Post by dragonvan »

Hey Tripp, Are both pumps mounted in the fluid reservoir on your van, one lower than the other?

If so I think they have different power feeds, but I will check a wiring diagram for you when I can.

What are the wire colors going to both pumps?
2002 Astro
My Mods List
Ex GM tech, Fabricator
Linux Forever!

Topic author
tripplec
I am smitten with my van

Post by tripplec »

Yes, there are two there own power feeds. The connectors nor the pumps are interchangeable. But the Lower pump for the front is not getting power. There as to be a relay contact somewhere for this. Impossible to trace this back. Probably a reals simple fix once I can locate the controls. It certainly is not being power by the little switch in the signal arm.

Thanks
Astro AWD LT 1996
315,000km,
CLASS III hitch
Markham, ON, Canada

dragonvan

Post by dragonvan »

If the power feed wire is pink or pink/black I think the power feed is constant with key on and the switch is in the ground side. Either way IIRC the relay is in the wiper module that is mounted on the wiper motor housing. I'll go look up the diagram as I have a couple of minutes.
2002 Astro
My Mods List
Ex GM tech, Fabricator
Linux Forever!

dragonvan

Post by dragonvan »

I was slightly wrong... The washer is always grounded. A "relay" (transistor) on the wiper module controls the washer by applying 12v on the pink wire. You need to test if you have 12v exiting the module. If you do, you need to do a voltage drop test on the pink wire to make sure it is ok.

1. Use a paper clip (unfolded) to backprobe the pink wire, terminal position "A" on the wiper module (motor) connector. Insert the paperclip carefully between the wire itself and the weather-pak, not between the weather-pak and plastic connector housing.
2. Using a digital voltmeter test between the paper clip and ground while someone presses the washer "button" on the lever.
3. If you had 12v proceed to the next step. If no 12v and wipers operate when the washer button is pressed with the wiper switch in the off position the wiper module is probably the culprit.
4. Use another paper clip and backprobe the pink wire at the washer pump connector. Note... the pump needs to be reconnected if you unplugged it to insert the backprobe.
5. Using a digital voltmeter connected to both paper clips read the voltage while someone presses and holds the washer button.
6. If you don't have 12v and you did when testing at the module there is a break in the wire somewhere. If you do have 12V you need to check the ground circuit between the pump connector and ground.
7. When you backprobe the ground terminal of the washer connector and measure between it and battery ground you shouldn't have more than a couple tenths of a volt when the pump is energized.

The modules are available aftermarket and are around $30 and usually no core charge.

Tripp I think it's time to enact the lemon law on that van of yours. You could keep me in business for a month straight dude... :)
2002 Astro
My Mods List
Ex GM tech, Fabricator
Linux Forever!

Topic author
tripplec
I am smitten with my van

Fixed

Post by tripplec »

I replace the front washer pump (from a 94 astro at the wreckers) which looked the same. All is well not pump motor assembly required.
Astro AWD LT 1996
315,000km,
CLASS III hitch
Markham, ON, Canada

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Re: Fixed

Post by Water Boy »

tripplec wrote:I replace the front washer pump (from a 94 astro at the wreckers) which looked the same. All is well not pump motor assembly required.
I'm sorry, but I think I'm too far south from Markham, ON to understand what he said. Can someone translate for me please?
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
tripplec
I am smitten with my van

Post by tripplec »

Water Boy wrote:
tripplec wrote:I replace the front washer pump (from a 94 astro at the wreckers) which looked the same. All is well not pump motor assembly required.
I'm sorry, but I think I'm too far south from Markham, ON to understand what he said. Can someone translate for me please?
Hmmm...how far south. OK Let me expand on this then.

First the 96 LT Astro has a wiper motor which controls the washer pumps power via the internal circuit board, there are two washer pumps installed in these vehicles washer jar. The top pump motor pumps only for the rear window, dutch door window. The lower pump is activated by the front window washer switch and powered through the pump motors circuit board. When this lower pump motor is energized it pumps to the Front window. Neither pump is interchangeable, GM has used different pins for the harness and pumps and if you find one is bad you cannot interchange them.

As above in the previous post. I picked up one from a 94 Astro which upon inspection looked like the same style and connections from a nearby wrecker. It resolved the problem. Testing by applying 12Volts to the pump directly I found the original pump was either seized or a partial shorted. Voltage from the main motor circuit board did not appear high enough but I did not replace it until I tested if it would work after replacement. I tested the used pump motor by directly connecting it to a battery in the wreckers and it worked.

Hmmmm, don't think I missed anything or skipped a detail. Did I?

Oh maybe, the upper pump will NOT pump fluid if it is too low. But the bottom pump for the front will since the fluid pickup is higher due to its mounting possition and reservers fluid for the front when low.
Astro AWD LT 1996
315,000km,
CLASS III hitch
Markham, ON, Canada

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

tripplec wrote:
Water Boy wrote:
In the land of grits and biscuits and chitlin's and vienna sauage and gizzards and yard bird and sweet tea and .........

T~
Thanks for the expanded answer. I'm OK now.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
tripplec
I am smitten with my van

Post by tripplec »

Water Boy wrote:
tripplec wrote:
Water Boy wrote: I'm sorry, but I think I'm too far south from Markham, ON to understand what he said. Can someone translate for me please?
In the land of grits and biscuits and chitlin's and vienna sauage and gizzards and yard bird and sweet tea and .........

T~
Very Good, I hope you got cold beer there too!!!!
Ha ha

Markham is about 20 mile north of downtown Toronto in case you interested which around from Buffalo another 100 miles
Astro AWD LT 1996
315,000km,
CLASS III hitch
Markham, ON, Canada

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

tripplec wrote:
Water Boy wrote:
tripplec wrote: Hmmm...how far south. OK Let me expand on this then.

T~
Very Good, I hope you got cold beer there too!!!!
Ha ha

Markham is about 20 mile north of downtown Toronto in case you interested which around from Buffalo another 100 miles
Down here, cold beer is part of baby showers so is is normal from day one.

I've been to Clarence many times.