third brake light question/s

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

third brake light question/s

Post by markmitchinnh »

I have an 89 safari I am building and I wish to install third brake light in the stock location for the newer vans.
I got on from a salvage yard but I have no idea as to where I wire it in. Should I wire it to the brake lights harness or is there a place under the dash to wire it in? Thank You, Mark
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: third brake light question/s

Post by astroturf »

I would just wire it in from the rear brake wiring.

Post a Pic, Jim

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Well I have the van disassembled at the moment I ask questions on this forum and put the answers in my notebook so when I need the info I have it in my book. I have some photos on photobucket . http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa220/djjoker63/
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Great Pix Mark.

Thanks, Jim

PS Love your States License Plate Logo.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Thank You, the truck pics are before and after, daily driver not a project yet. The van is an 89 cargo van with 92 safari GT front frame with poly bushings. interior came from 2004 safari, I am customizing it: caddy tail lights, nissan quest back up lights, roll pan, round head lights, subaru legacy hood scoop welded into stock hood. possibly a sun roof? I bought a custom grill as well as mirrors off ebay a few years ago. I also am using stock 2004 Safari chrome rims with different hubcaps. I will take more pics soon and put them on photobucket.

Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Drooler »

I installed one on my 88. Had the interior partially out also. I connected the ground to an existing available bolt. I ran the live lead to the front and connected it at the brake light switch under the dash. Always worked fine.
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Brake light switch? that's what I was looking for but had no idea what it was called. Thank you.