Which heater core?

HVAC, heating, cooling, air handling. Anything air temp related.

Topic author
dross93ranger
I am smitten with my van

Which heater core?

Post by dross93ranger »

I have a little girl due in December so I need to get my rear heat working asap. I have a 2000 Astro with factory rear heat and AC. Heat and air work great up front, AC works great in the rear, but heat does not work in the rear. I am assuming that the heater core is a good place to start on fixing this problem. I went on Rock Auto and do not know which heater core to purchase. Does anyone know the part number or have a link? Or if you think it is something else, what do I need to check?
1993 Ford Ranger - Bagged on Matte Black 18" KMC Rockstar wheels
1972 Datsun PL 521 - Bagged and Body Dropped
2000 Chevrolet Astro - The Tow Pig

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Which heater core?

Post by Smiliesafari »

There may be a heater control valve malfunction. Could also be a plugged hose. I'd do some checking before I start replacing parts.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Which heater core?

Post by MountainManJoe »

When my rear heat didn't work, it was because the valve that lets coolant flow to the rear heater core wasn't opening. It didn't open because it wasn't getting vacuum. It wasn't getting vacuum because the vacuum valve solenoid was burned out. (complicated eh?). As a temporary fixed, I connected a live vacuum line directly to the valve, so it was always circulating through the rear heater core. Eventually I found a new solenoid at the junkyard.

All of the above can be easily tested with basic stuff.