Chi Town

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Xibious
I am merely driving my van

Chi Town

Post by Xibious »

Ive been driving mopar minivans for several years and then I got an AWD and that was it, I was hooked ... however you cant get parts for those things, so I looked into the Astro/Safaris ...

I bought 2
I needed a cargo van and then a traveling van and back in May there were slim pickings for some reason, and it really wasnt until I bought the vans did I know what I actually wanted.

I found the cargo van I wanted in Cali,2000 Astro AWD, and dutch doors in the rear, not many around let me tell you. Buying that thing long distance was a pain in the ass.

Once I got it I had some local guys do some EXTRAs to it, dual batteries, isolator, viper alarm, trailer hitch. Their work was alright but not how I really wanted everything, and as Im progressing not how things are going to end up.

Well now I needed another van to go and get that van and trailer it back, I found an 03 LX. they wanted 6k for it but due to a few things visibly wrong I got it down to 4600 and drove away. Im finding lots of them now cheaper, but not really in better shape.
Replaced the windshield new brakes, calipers and all on the drivers side, hell Im going 2000 miles to trailer 6k pounds back so I needed to make sure everything was set for the trip including new rubber,
IMAG0007.jpg
Dunlops all around including under the body.
(Rest Stop in Utah)

Well about 1000 miles into the trip I get a flat, but I came prepared as you can see
IMAG0004.jpg
(Get to work on the flat)

IMAG0003.jpg
Plugged it up and it lasted another 1000+ miles before it started to leak

Ok finally made it to LA where the cargo van was and the guys that said, "oh yea we can do that" no they couldnt. I wanted a 4"lift kit on it and they said no one would do one. And now that there is no more Overland Vans, Im on my own, with a little help from you guys.

So got a trailer to haul the cargo van, had to lie about what I was hauling. Oh well ... that wasnt the hard part, the hard part was getting the hitch out of the pavement after I drove the van on the transporter.
The hitch was rusted in solid, took an hour of heating and beating to get it out and then the ball wouldnt come off so we couldnt turn it over to gain the 4" on the hitch, so I bought another hitch and it was only 2" off the ground, not good enough ... so I backed the van on the transporter IT WORKED !
IMAG0245.jpg
IMAG0246.jpg
Mountains arent your best friend and when your over loaded neither is the wind ...
Coming back was kind of rough, 1st gear though the mountains and only 25mph, the winds in the plains would make the transporter fishtail if I went over 65, It took 3.5 days to get there and 4.5 to get back.
cont.
Last edited by Xibious on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Chi Town

Post by mdmead »

Welcome to ASV!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

okie1
I sleep in my van

Post by okie1 »

Welcome to the forum, when you get time we need pictures :cheers:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Sounds like a fun trip so far! :muhaha: Nice vans by the way. :partyman:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Xibious

Post by Xibious »

Thanks for the welcome guys

Ive been kinda busy, and not just with the vans ...

I found a cruiser I want, something that I wanted from the beginning, its not perfect but very close to it ... I just hate leather seats in a car ...

So my 03 will be up for grabs, Im thinking Ill do some barter with a friend of mine thats doing some work for me and really needs a new van. Poor guy got his wife involved and screwed the pooch, she bought a big ol ford, something for the kids, meanwhile my friend wanted a van to drive the kids and haul his junk ...

If he takes it Ill add a couple leafs to the springs, I just did that to my cargo van WOO HOO rides nice and high for only $350
Then we'll toss the last row seating and cut the carpet and put in the rubber mat, maybe paint out the rear windows or build a cover inside. Where he lives its not the theives its the cops that you have to worry about.
NO CONSTRUCTION VANS ALLOWED yada yada yada.

Oh and I bought rims and wheels they should be in Monday and yes Ill have pics of the cargo van, Ive got a bunch now, just need to upload them. It looks and rides great, really takes on the speed bumps.

So the lift is done, Im about 1/2 low in the front something that I might have to deal with but later.
Paint and as I go the interior parts bins, tables etc, then bumpers and crash plate under everything, big ol diamond plate bumpers, brush gard, winch, plow set up.

Im going to have to figure out something funky for the 5th tire, its not going to fit underneath so somehow hook it up to the dutch door with a swing out asmbly.

Well bye for now, Ill add pics before and after next week

badassastro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by badassastro »

Welcome
85 pro street Astro, parted & scrapped
98 pro street Astro, 33x22 rear tires, all aluminum 335 hp LS1 motor
PRO STREET 4 LIFE