cherry picker woes....

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

cherry picker woes....

Post by coolen »

i was hauling a 302 out of a mustang the other night, and the cherry picker lifted the engine maybe 4 inches or so, then it stopped co-operating with me. there was a little rubber plug in the ram, and that went flying out. i've tried adding fluid, and decresing the level, are there any tricks to these?

sorry if this isn't the proper section for this, i wasn't sure where to put it.

thanks
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Re: cherry picker woes....

Post by TheChopFather »

try using on a chevy motor it will work!!! :muhaha: mine did that once and i had to have the seals replaced....
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

no wonder i couldn't find this post to check on it. for some strange reason it decided it wanted to go under this v8 swap. i tried to put it elsewhere....maybe it was put here for me, i dunno.

either way, thanks for the reply, so you suspect it needs replacement huh?
95 safari AWD

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

coolen wrote:no wonder i couldn't find this post to check on it. for some strange reason it decided it wanted to go under this v8 swap. i tried to put it elsewhere....maybe it was put here for me, i dunno.

either way, thanks for the reply, so you suspect it needs replacement huh?

The reason I moved it under the V8 swap forum (although its a ford) is because someone may run into the same problem doing a swap with a 305/350/383/502 LOL and this info may prove helpful,if it was just a general question about a ford then it would have been left in the off-topic forum

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

cool, i just thought i was going crazy....... :axe:
95 safari AWD

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Man, I wish I had a picture, but it's dark and like 0 outside...Anyway, mine did this once, or at least something similar. I think I had $.30 in O-rings and about 20 minutes in fixing it. I took the part that you move with the handle off and screwed the little piston/plunger housing off (all the oil will come out if it's rightside up), and replaced the O-rings. One of mine had split, and there was some crap in the filter screen that was in there somewhere. Looked like rust. No surprise, since mine has sat outside for like 15 years. I grease the ram where it is exposed, and replace the jack oil when it gets low. It leaks when I lift something real heavy, like a 460 with a c6 on it. That wasn't pretty. Does fine with 4.3 and 350s, etc. It was real easy, good luck.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Make sure you fill it with Hydralic oil only!
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

rlsllc wrote:Man, I wish I had a picture, but it's dark and like 0 outside...Anyway, mine did this once, or at least something similar. I think I had $.30 in O-rings and about 20 minutes in fixing it. I took the part that you move with the handle off and screwed the little piston/plunger housing off (all the oil will come out if it's rightside up), and replaced the O-rings. One of mine had split, and there was some crap in the filter screen that was in there somewhere. Looked like rust. No surprise, since mine has sat outside for like 15 years. I grease the ram where it is exposed, and replace the jack oil when it gets low. It leaks when I lift something real heavy, like a 460 with a c6 on it. That wasn't pretty. Does fine with 4.3 and 350s, etc. It was real easy, good luck.
Thats the seal I was talking about but while we had mine apart and drained figured if ones bad do the rest before they let go and wind up with a newly rebuilt engine somewhere its not supposed to be! less than 5.00 in seals if that and screen. and remember hydraulic fluid only.
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

thanks everyone!
95 safari AWD

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

I got hit with one of those rubber plugs once right between the eyes... it came out under alot of pressure!!
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

SAFETY GLASSES MY FRIEND. LOL.

I wasn't wearing any either, the only time I wear them is if I'm grinding.
95 safari AWD

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

man i just had to read an entire chapter about this problem for school, but since i seldom check this section everyone already beat me to an answer, i too would've recommended changing or adding oil, but like mentioned only use hydraulic specific weighted oil.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.