Started the "overnighter" additions the weekend.

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Re: Started the "overnighter" additions the weekend.

Post by tribri1 »

Very nice setup, I may have to steal some parts of the bed idea...

As for the bucket... er Groover, as we like to call it on the river. I suggest picking up a gamma seal, http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Lid/dp/B000M5SI2A. If will make the whole thing air/liquid tight just in case there is a bag rupture. Also pickup some clorox to sprinkle over your "deposit" that will cut down on the smell. If you find that you end up using this often, i recommend picking up an EcoSafe Toilet, http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2729. If fits nicely in a rocket box and has a dump hole that connects to an RV dump site.
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

Vanjoe

Post by Vanjoe »

Nice setup. I am interested in doing something different in mine.

I use the rear bench/fold down bed. It's nice and comfy,if I am hauling extra stuff I can sleep on it as a bench but.... I can't keep it inside when hauling loing items loaded thru the rear doors. I also have a plastic cab with the 3 draws mounted behind driver seat.

I much prefer my little shovel or hatchet over public rest rooms. Not sure I would wanna drive around with a 5 gal bucket inside with me. Could be a real crappy experience getting into an accident 8-[

Speaking of accidents...... does the Bumper dumper prevent tail gaters ???? Again, and it may just be pride this time.... I can't see driving around town with that thing mounted to my hitch. :D
1998 Astro. Sterling Hi-top Conversion. 1st Second gen owned.
Former ....
90 Astro shorty conversion,$500 short term driver
91 ext Astro bad body,bad motor $325, became a 350/4bl cruiser with all under hood acces working.TOTALED..my fault
88 Astro shorty conversion 177k-270k,threw rod. $2500
85 Astro mint body ...totaled 9 days later...not my fault. Paid $1k, insurance gave me $2k
86 Astro shorty 147k-242k, $2500. sold running!

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Thats a really nice bed setup. looks comfy, I might try to copy it a bit. How do you secure it when your travelling? It would be handy if it could clip into the holders. I use ratchet straps a lot too.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
arlon
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by arlon »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Thats a really nice bed setup. looks comfy, I might try to copy it a bit. How do you secure it when your travelling? It would be handy if it could clip into the holders. I use ratchet straps a lot too.
Bed was pretty comfy but I should have found some softer foam for the seats. I'm very thin and even with the 2" memory foam topper it was a little hard on my hips after a few hrs. It was also 38deg and the memory foam was probably harder than it should have been.

As for securing the bed, It just sits long ways behind my seat. It wedges in there pretty tight. I guess if I rolled the van it could become a nuisance. It would also have to get past the seat back. When I built the box, I made it fit exactly to where I have the seat for driving. I pull my seat forward, rotate the box then run it back against the bed.
2004 AWD Astro 2" lift, overnight-able
2003 Dodge/Cummins Quad cab
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO
Plus wife's and kid's cars to take care of...

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Ahh, I see.
I always have passengers in the back, so it would be more of a concern then...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

Just me or wife and I travel in the van. Little easier with just the two of us. We can turn the bed around so there is room to use the back seat with the bed box pushed up against the back of the front seats but I hadn't thought about traveling with it that way. I have considerd trying to figure a way to secure it cross the back of the front seats but haven't really had any need yet. Some crago straps would fit perfectly to hold it longwise behind the drivers seat and I'll probably do that. I liked that idea.
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Where did you get your foam and what density was it? (If you know.)

I'm having the opposite problem here - the only foam I can source locally is "upholstery grade", so it's fine for a sofa, but even the densest option is a bit soft for sleeping on if you're as big as I am. I will do ANYTHING to avoid having to add/use a mattress topper because I don't to deal with it for single-night stays while on the road. I want to be able to yank down the seat and sleep, then quickly stow it in the morning.

EDIT: Forgot to add: It looks great! Keep the updates coming.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

ruecifur
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by ruecifur »

Herbie wrote:Where did you get your foam and what density was it? (If you know.)

I'm having the opposite problem here - the only foam I can source locally is "upholstery grade", so it's fine for a sofa, but even the densest option is a bit soft for sleeping on if you're as big as I am. I will do ANYTHING to avoid having to add/use a mattress topper because I don't to deal with it for single-night stays while on the road. I want to be able to yank down the seat and sleep, then quickly stow it in the morning.

EDIT: Forgot to add: It looks great! Keep the updates coming.
My daughter has this for a mattress in the house:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensation ... s/12542631

its dual density and pretty comfortable to sleep or sit on. I'm thinking about using one of these for my "penthouse bed" when i finally get the high-roof put on. I might go with the 6" up there, but the 8" would make a better gaucho couch or fold and tumble bed.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I used one of those in something I made...super comfortable. The cool thing about those mattresses is that you can remove them from the liner and cut them into any shape with an electric knife. You could make a heart shaped penthouse bed.

They are heavy though. Even a twin size is hefty.

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

Foam came from hancock fabrics (fabric store).
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

Ordered a camping labs awning for the van and it arrived today. Now it's time for some creative mounting. Not exactly sure how I want to attach it to the van but it would be nice to have it easy to remove but still sturdy enough to drive on bumpy roads. Any hints or suggestions on mounting to the factory rack appreciated. Probably get serious about figuring out something this weekend.
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO

krsowles

Post by krsowles »

Haven't seen the mounting brackets but the best thing to do would be mount it on my van!
:cheers:
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

tribri1

Post by tribri1 »

You may be able to fashion something like this, http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details. ... parent_id=
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Sounds like it's time to stroll down every isle of Home Depot. Whenever I need something that will do this or that they have something that will work. Don't skip any isles, likely the treasure is where you least expect to find it.

Topic author
arlon

Post by arlon »

I think the stroll down the hardware store isles is the perfect way to find some inspiration!
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO