Silver Star Headlights

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Silver Star Headlights

Post by GEJ »

Anyone have any experience with Silver Star headlights?
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Silver Star Headlights

Post by peter »

I got 'em in the Safari as well as the Charger. Made a definite difference in both. I live out in the boonies, so streetlamps are as rare as shower day for Lockjaw. :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

It's a lot of info. But you may want to read this first...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954736
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Big "C"-Thanks for the link,Gary.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Peter,you don't have streetlights because you live within sight of downtown Montreal :muhaha:
now Dean and Lynne..........that's what yer might call the 'boonies' :-s
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

harpers in the boonies , yeah i guess !!!! The ride down rt 6 from the highway was almost as long as the trip up from PA !!!!!! LOL
:D :D
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Post by canadavan »

I read an article that someone pinned on one of our sites that said they don't make a difference, but I had them in my van and loved them, thought they seemed much brighter, when they burned out I replaced with regular bulbs and they definitely don't seem as bright. So the science says they aren't worth it but my experience says they are. My 0.02
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

dunedog wrote:Peter,you don't have streetlights because you live within sight of downtown Montreal :muhaha:
now Dean and Lynne..........that's what yer might call the 'boonies' :-s

Us in the "boonies" LMAO. Heck we can drive 1 mile and get milk, bread, eggs, gas and lots of other things. You should see where we grew up. :)
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Gary,
I guess you are not composite bulbs yet (9006/9005) so going the HIR route is a no go for you. The SilverStars are quite pricy and has a very tint blue imo and I dont like it. I do a lot of photography so color does not fool me to think something is "brighter" - most people will claim a white light is brighter but brighter and actually throwing more light is different. What we want is how much light is actually thrown from the bulb, know as cd/l2 or luminance.

The GE Nighthawks are white light less blue than Silverstars and do throw more light on the road. They achieve this by filling in more xeon gas as this gas burns brighter but at the cost of life span. Most of the "hi-output" bulbs have roughly 15% xeon gas, some aftermarkets go more but they die fast and this is common scene where you notice on some cars one headlight's color output is different from other as if one was ready to die.

The GE Nighthawks also go on sale a lot. I give them thumbs up, now of course I all moved over to HIRs which do not produce as most white light as the GEs but MAN can you see the light!!! When I went from the normal halogens to the Philip HiVis bulbs you could see the more light it throws (I compared a long time ago in the woods) and then when I went to Nighthawks I was amazed!!!

A lot of folks are fooled by the color to think things look brighter.

I was about to talk about fog lights but I dont think you are interested so I will leave it be, besides google is your best friend but just make sure to read from multiple sources and try it out yourself. After all, seeing is believing!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

And I think that phr...phr#!....I think that the guy who posted before me is a bloody communist. I demand he be suspended from this site for 1 week, effective immediately [-X

This isn't the 1st time I've read about how the Silverstars fool you into thinking there's more light. Sublimewind brought up the same issue as well, based on some study made of different bulb manufacturers. And I ain't saying it ain't true. All I know is that after slapping the Silverstars into the Charger, my bodyguard and I both noticed what we "perceieved to be a definite imporvement in illumination.
On my safari with aftermarket headlamps (junk, by the way. They don't fog up but light dispersment is a joke), I was so dissapointed with the light output I purchased some no-name blue-tint bulbs from the auto parts store in the hopes of increasing light intensity. Not any better. Then I broke down and shelled out $$ again just for the honour of ahving the Silverstar name on the bulbs. Much better. Still not satisfactory, but closer than I could get from either the stock bulbs or the generic Silverstar wannabees

If it looks like pie, and tastes like pie.... :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Peter!!!! Hi buddy! :partyman:

"if it looks like pie, and tastes like pie..."
For your sake I hope you do not visit some parts of China by yourself or else you be in for a treat.

Me really thinks you should give those HIR bulbs a try. You WILL see more light on the road. As for the Silverstar when my friend's Astro (he no longer has it hence why he has become a member yet) and my Safari with the Philip HiVis and GEs in the brights, mine compared to Silverstar I saw more in the night than his. I will happily do comparisons with photos this time around if someone has time and the Silverstars (and lives close to me) for folks to see. I still have my Philips and GE bulbs to put back in LOL.

Anyways it is user preference as well. For example the more I try HIDs the more I do not like them. I found my eyes got quite tired from the distance driving where as the same route with Princess I never did. on the flipside HOLLY COW have you seen those Rally 4000 (I think) Hella HIDs!? It's like a mobile sun!!!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Hello again, phr1....phr1$k....phr#@*%&$ LOLOLOLOL

Like I said, I'm not disputing your comments. The fact is though, ignorance is bliss. If I think it's brighter & feel more confident driving at night because of it, then it must be doing "something" better....for me. As far as HID's go, they're all the rage on the Dodge Charger & LX forums. The '08's come with 'em, 06' & 07's are $hit outta luck. I personally think they "light up my life" so to speak, but I don't have them on any vehicles I own and refuse to shell out $400 for a bona fide properly-built retrofit kit. I'd rather spend the $$ on stuff to make me faster so's I can slam into that invisible deer at higher speeds :yawinkle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

Man look at the controversy on this thread............... surprised????? ....................no not really look at who started the whole thread.......................par for the course I guess. :muhaha: :axe:
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Hold on now.How would I even know it would end up like this?.I sure didn't. #-o I saw a ad on TV and just thought I would ask about the Silver Star's.Come on guys behave-I'm getting blamed for this one and I didn't do anything wrong!!. [-( [-( :muhaha: :muhaha:

Fire Cakes wrote:Man look at the controversy on this thread............... surprised????? ....................no not really look at who started the whole thread.......................par for the course I guess. :muhaha: :axe:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

garysgifts wrote:Hold on now.How would I even know it would end up like this?.I sure didn't. #-o I saw a ad on TV and just thought I would ask about the Silver Star's.Come on guys behave-I'm getting blamed for this one and I didn't do anything wrong!!.
Gary you have done nothing wrong. I'm the one who posted the link to the other discussion board. I read that sometime ago and wanted to help you make an educated decision was all.

Now that being said. I have the Silverstars in my van. Do they make a difference? Eeh. Maybe.

Wiring up the dims to come on with the brights, now that made a difference on a dark two lane road. :supz:

Now, I'll relate a story about my personal vision. I had my eyes checked by a very good Dr. some years ago and ended up with new glasses. Afterwards, I noticed I was having trouble seeing my alarm clock in the dark. Yet my wife's I could see perfectly fine. The difference? My wife's has a red display. Mine has a blue display. The eye doctor said some people have a particular, accumen(sp?) to seeing different colors(both in the light and dark) and not to worry about it. So maybe that's why I don't see much difference.

Peter, being the smurf he is, is obviously predisposed to seeing things with a blue tint.

Sorry Peter, couldn't resist that one. :D :yawinkle:
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!