finally

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

finally

Post by coolen »

i was talking to my "parts guy" yesterday, and we got on the subject of v8's. he informed me that he has a 88 vin w v8 from one of his camaros. it is stripped down, he has 2 sets of heads, and an assortment of cams to choose from. now, when it comes to totally stripped engines, i ain't that good. he tells me that he has everything i need, EXCEPT the intake manifold. also, did i mention it was free? :supz:

so i guess i'm looking for suggestions. oh, i guess i should tell ya's that it's a 305. i'm assuming that the cam's will have part #'s on them correct? he also have the computer and harness for it, but wouldn't that mean i'd need to use my 700r? if that was the case, then maybe i shouldn't put it in my awd, maybe i should put it in my 2wd astro. like i said, just lookin' for suggestions.

i'm excited. \:D/
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: finally

Post by Smiliesafari »

The 305 is a great motor. I've used several. With a little better cam and induction system they perform well. And FREE!!!!!!! That's great.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I'll have to respectfully disagrea about the 305 being OK as I have one and I hate it. They just don't put out the torque needed to push these vans around. ESPECIALLY an AWD. I used it for the same reason, cheap. If it is free, go for it but you will soon want more. The plus would be that you will have everthing setup when\if you decide on a better motor. Rather than using the whole harness you have you can convert your CPI to TBI and use your 4L60E trans. I have a full write up on but unfortunately I didn't realize I did not copy the whole thing over here from AS.com. Some of it is here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=188
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Free is good. It will be a decent step up from a 4.3L, and more importantly it has better aftermarket support (parts are cheaper) than a 4.3L. That being said, did it come from an auto or a manual transmissioned Camaro? the manual transmission cam is not great but very decent, the automatic cam is awful and not worth bothering about. Supposedly a lot of the TPI auto cars came with the hotter cam anyways, even though they never oficially did. If you have a set of dial calipers measure the base circle and then measure the top of the lobe, deduct the two and that's the lift. I can probably tell you which cam you have off that info. the 2WD would be nice for oil pan and weight reasons, but other than that the AWD would probably be more fun. (think Syclone or Typhoon)

Besides this I will also add that a TBI intake will bolt onto that engine, if you want to go that route, even though you will need a chip cut. You need to bypass the VATS system on the stock chip to swap it, which the directions are out there. It is easiest if you know the value of the resistor chip in his key but you can do it by brute force if need be.

What casting #s do you have for heads? just wanting to be sure you use the best of the lot for your build up.

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

i'll be picking it up tomorrow, so once i have it home, i'll post whatever numbers i can find on whatever. would it be "easier" plugin wise to keep the spider injection set up, or wouldn't it matter much since there are 7 yrs difference in the engines?

thanks again
95 safari AWD

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Probably be easier to find a TBI van and convert to it, then convert to TPI honestly unless you're into re-working that harness fairly extensively. I could probably look at it and help you out.

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

my 94 astro is tbi. i would like to stay away from swapping harnesses if i could. but with that being said, i gotta do what i gotta do.
95 safari AWD

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

The 94 would be easier to swap than the 95 then to be honest. There are some things that may need to be added wire wise, but it will be a lot less than the CPI one. Besides that, you may be able to get away without adding any harness wires.

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

the only thing i'm worried about is where the accessories bolt on the front. is that going to be a big issue? other than that , the astro should be good to go
95 safari AWD

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Since it's an 88+ your accessory brackets will work. That being said, they may or may not clearance if you use a TPI intake. You need to measure to be sure probably, but I'm wanting to say no just by eyeballing the stuff I've got.

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

so u'r saying that i may have some issues using a tbi setup?

oh ya, i found out that the motor was originally teamed up with an automatic tranny. However, i'm told that it "has been cammed to death"

we'll see.
95 safari AWD

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

coolen wrote:so u'r saying that i may have some issues using a tbi setup?

oh ya, i found out that the motor was originally teamed up with an automatic tranny. However, i'm told that it "has been cammed to death"

we'll see.
A non stock cam or even a good stock cam will put you way ahead of what you woulda been doing. You'll have no issues setting it up as a TBI engine, bit if you use a TPI intake the TBI brackets may become an issue is all because the throttle body sticks out the front.

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

sorry for sounding retarded here, but I'm confused :rolleyes:

Could you please enlighten me on a TPI set up. I know what TBI is, and that W family engine CSFI? But not sure on the TPI.

Thanks!!
AND NO POKIN' FUN LOL
95 safari AWD

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

TPI... Tunded port injection. It's name given to the intake system that has runners that are tuned to a power bandwith. It has an injector at each cylinder.

CFSI.. that's knows as poor mans fuel injection. That's got a single fuel injector with a bunch of poppet valves at each cylinder.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

The TPI manifold was used on 85-92 Camaros with a 305 or 350 engine (87-92) as well as 85-91 Corvettes. Here is a pic of mine. They also used different heads as well as could have used different cams depending on the year and transmission combinations.