Weeki Wachee Kayaking. LOTS of PIX!

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Weeki Wachee Kayaking. LOTS of PIX!

Post by dumb lady »

By popular demand, I'm posting some Florida pix. Ok, so just one guy asked me. (Hi Mr Lifted!!!!)
Careful what you wish for.... cuz now here's a ka-zillion pixes. [-X

Me & Mr D/L went kayaking for the very first time ever last October. It was quite the experience.
We got to rent a kayak down by the Weeki Wachee Springs. The trip goes down-river about 5 or 6 miles.

Ok, so here's the little kayak we rented for two. I still dunno how we both squished into this iddy-biddy little thing. 8-[
But..... We did.

I had to sit up front, on account that I'm not the strongest bulb in the pack. =P~ The weaker person steers & the stronger does the paddling. I can't tell you how many times we crashed into tree branches & bushes! [-o<
When the current was slow, I was quite relaxed. When it was fast.... Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first thing I saw was this cute little otter go by.I dunno why this pic is so big.

We saw the tour-boat load of old folks go by...How's THAT for wildlife? :muhaha:

After that the scenery got interesting.
I never saw trees that looked like this before. I think they're cypress.

The water started to become this amazing turquoise color. What causes that? I've never seen anything like it.

The color was so beautiful.

The river was swift in most places & it was hard to stop where you wanted. Plus we had no clue what we were doing.
Mr D/L kept yelling at me like a drill sergeant, :butthead: so I pulled over (ok crashed into some bushes) & we got out & took a picture.
But it was so dark & overgrown so the picture sucked. We couldn't walk around at all there.Image

In any case this was no place to eat lunch.It was kinda early too, so we kept moving.
Quite a way's further down I pulled over (crashed) & we had some lunch.
We ate all kinds of little naughty little things like shrimp, cheeses & pickled herring & we even had Halvah! (How many people know what THAT is??) Not many, I'll bet. Anyway, it was a perfect NY nosh for our anniversary :heart:

(Wooof! That's ugly!)

I got in the water knee deep & it was so crystal clear right to the bottom.

Then, we got moving on & saw more neat stuff.

As you get closer to the Gulf, you start to see more houses & civilization.

Also, evidence of the ocean tides...

The water begins to look more like salt water too...Loved going under the tree-canopy here.

Anyway that was just about the end. We crashed into where we were supposed to go & get out. They throw you into a van & your kayak on a trailer & haul you back to where you started.
The whole trip down the river was about 4 hours. It was so totally awesome, I can't wait do it again sometime.

Thanks also to Mr 9dawgs for telling me last year how awesome this was & that we needed to go!
He was RIGHT!!!!!!
Best $40 bucks we ever spent!!!!
Last edited by dumb lady on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

astrogurl
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Weeki Wachee Kayaking. LOTS of PIX!

Post by astrogurl »

Oh that does look like fun!

Our last together alone in a canoe...well it has been almost ten years now. :D
I am not all that bad at paddling, but my steering isn't as precision as PJ's
03 "Pewter" Astro AWD stock
early 90s Astro currently under the knife

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Nice pics! Nice snack tray, too! Paddled the Weeki Wachee a few years ago, will have to scan the old school film pics and post a couple choice shots. Great area. Looks like you all enjoyed it. Nice to see warm weather paddle pics this time of year.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Those pics were amazing. I'm not into the sightseeing stuff, but I'd have gone for a trip down that river.
By the way,, you're hotttttttttttttttttttttttttt :prayer: :prayer:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Peter, I dunno what the heck you're lookin' at. But, you need to get around more. Cuz I AIN'T HOT!!!!!

Mr T.Low, do you happen to know what makes the Weeki Wachee that color??? I've never seen anything like it before. What does that?

BTW, they just made the Weeki Wachee Springs a Florida State Park. And I hear the Mermaid Show will go on.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

AWESOME pics D/L! Thanks for posting them...I am now ready for spring and summer!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Post by canadavan »

Missus DL, I don't usually agree with lil'petey, but he's right, you are a fine looking lady. :heart: Woof.
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thanx christine those pics were great !!!! I can't wait till the nice weather hits us here in NY again , just so i can get out fishing again .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Great pics,nice to see you guys got out and took some pics and did some exploring together,thanks for sharing Chrissy.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Great pics. Don't let the developers know where that is. Here in the Sunshine State They just can't spread the asphalt fast enough. I think Mr. D L kidnapped a mermaid. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

My pleasure Zam, & thanks, glad everyone enjoyed the pix. We really had a wonderful time that day.

Mr Smilie, the fate of Weeki Wachee has been up in the air for some time. But not to worry, the state is taking it over soon to become a State Park. I wonder if they'll keep Buccaneer Bay (the swimming-hole part) open?

And you guys are all very nice. But... If you met me in person you would quickly see taht I am certainly not a hottie. lol
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Beautifull place DL. Looks like you guys had a great time. You'd be correct on the name of the trees. Only grown in real sampy places and they have what are called Cypress knees that come up out of the water and soft earth around the tree. You can cut one of those knees off, boil it and peal the outer skin off, let it dry and make a lamp or something out of it.
I want to go see this place,,tell me exactly where this is.
Agian, beautifull and thanks for sharing the fun.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Hi Larry!!!!!!!!!!!
I just sent you a PM. :yawinkle:

Weeki Wachee is about an hour north of Tampa in Hernando County FL.

Clicky: http://www.clubkayak.com/cfkt/trips/weeki_wachee.html
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Awesome pictures, it looks like a tropical river with that beautiful water, I wanna go there on my upcoming trip to FL..... :supz:

(yes DL is Hot Peter!)
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

I believe Larry and Darren are on to something here... Perhaps this would make a good location for the next Florida get together.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater