My tranny is starting to slip, 138,000 miles.

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

My tranny is starting to slip, 138,000 miles.

Post by LaGrasta »

Early in the morning, my first shift usually is met with a "thud". And a few times, reverse seems to spin before actually moving the van.

I dumped SeaFoam TransTune into it yesterday before a 60 mile drive. I'm hoping that cleans up any sludge and I'll flush the tranny and do a filter change hopefully within a week or two. I flushed the trans at 50,000 and 100,000.
Any other ideas to help it last? There is no adjustments is there? How hard is a tranny swap. I think I might want to try it myself if I'm pushed to to replace it.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: My tranny is starting to slip, 138,000 miles.

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If it is starting to slip, you will be in for a rebuild at some point. If it keeps on truckin, plan for the rebuild at your convenience as it'll leave you stranded when don't want it to. For the cost of fluid and a filter, it can't hurt to see if it'll make it last longer. Really, at 138k miles, the tranny doesn't owe you anything.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

A tranny swap isn't particularly difficult,some basic tools a spare set of hands and a decent day should be the ticket (providing it goes smoothly)

A rebuild is not a bad idea if you have the space tools and time/money to rebuild it properly and beef it up at the same time,but not something everyone has the time or place/skills to do.

A professional rebuild will cost over $1500 (in canuckistan) and go up from there,but at least you should have the van back in a few days.

You may squeeze a bit more life out of her,but she is definitly on borrowed time.

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

thanks for the responses. I'll get it flushed and see where I stand. I won't rebuild it myself, but I think I'll remove and replace it when push comes to shove. By the sound of you guys, I'll be getting shoved sometime in the near future.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

specelec
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by specelec »

I have seen rebuilt tansmissions on ebay where they send you a rebuilt trans ~$900 and you ship old one back to them.

Less down time, savings in the 500-1000 range (sweat equity)

Just a thought.
2000 Safari FWD
169K miles
New fuel pump
New rear end (broke while driving down road...Not towing)
All synthetic fliuds
New Catalytic Converter (169K)

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

thanks for the ebay tip. I may not flush mine after all, but rather just a filter change. I keep hearing people say when a tranny is going, flushing it only speeds to the death.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

a lot of tranny shops will also credit you for the old tranny if you want a rebuilt put in, they can sell yours back to the re-builders and it would save you the shipping.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Update: I had family visiting from out of town this past week. I put a little less than 500 miles on the van with no problems what so ever. As for shifting, it seems great. My guess it the TranTune worked. Now I wonder what I should do, flush it out, change the filter, leave it alone. I'm leaning towrad only changing the filter.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler