hitch?

Topic author
midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

hitch?

Post by midnighthunder89 »

does anyone know where i can get a hitch for a safari? and are they easy to install?
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Any place that sells hitches will be able to hook you up with one for your ride . auto parts stores . u haul , rv dealers or post in the buy/sell/trade section someone here might have one for you . yes they are pretty easy to install as long as you can turn a wrench .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

I bought my hidden hitch from JCwhitneys. It was a great deal, nice fit, and hides behind the bumper. They may still be running the offer that if you pay with a credit card, you can select for billing to take place in 90 days.

I am although a little disappointed with the amount of slop when the ball mount is installed.

I had a long talk with their tech line, and basically found out it is within their tolerances. They make them a little oversized now because people tend to leave them in and they get stuck.

The one I bought for my vue is the same way.

Personally I think it is because they want the extra 15 bucks for am anti-rattle device. Currently I shim it with hacksaw blades, and plan to make my own anti-rattle device. But that my just be me, as I am kind of anal about rattles and things of the sort.
2001 safari awd.
Hidden Hitch, Plate Tranny Cooler, computer tune-up via jet programmer.

located in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I have an uncanny ability to make my wife crazy, and I am not afraid to use it!

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

[quote="brianj"]

I am although a little disappointed with the amount of slop when the ball mount is installed.

quote]

The hitch on mine is the same way. My utility trailer actually cuases the hitch to bounce in there due to low tongue weight. I use a wooden door shim to tighten mine up, have to make a permanent one one of these days.

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

If I make one up that works out well, I'll make an extra.

Never thought of the door shim. That would work better than my hacksaw-blade-o-rama.
2001 safari awd.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Be happy about having some "slop". I have to use a sledge hammer to install my pintle hitch in my 89 van, and press it out with a bottle jack, which broke this time.
My other light duty (shorter shanked) ball mount isn't nearly as bad, only requiring a few raps to remove.
It does seem like the newer hitches have a looser fit.

bluevette87
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by bluevette87 »

i just got mine thrugh JCWHITNEY with free shipping.it is made by curt manufacturing and went on pretty easy.
Tim NW Ohio

94 Chevy Astro
8th digit (Z)
chariot conversion

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I also wanted to add, I got the hitch for my '99 off ebay for $70 shipped. Looks brand new, and replaces the bumper mounts, bolting in factory holes. I did have to come up two extra bolts, though.

ryanhettenbach
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by ryanhettenbach »

i got mine from http://www.etrailer.com but i forget what the price was.
1989 Cargo 5spd. Fiberglass Roof.
2002 AWD LS, white

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

brianj wrote:I bought my hidden hitch from JCwhitneys. It was a great deal, nice fit, and hides behind the bumper. They may still be running the offer that if you pay with a credit card, you can select for billing to take place in 90 days.

I had a long talk with their tech line, and basically found out it is within their tolerances. They make them a little oversized now because people tend to leave them in and they get stuck.

The one I bought for my vue is the same way.

Personally I think it is because they want the extra 15 bucks for am anti-rattle device. Currently I shim it with hacksaw blades, and plan to make my own anti-rattle device. But that my just be me, as I am kind of anal about rattles and things of the sort.
Well, the solution is to let the hitch stay in and rust up a bit. Kinda builds its own anti-rattle device!

On my truck, I tapped a second hole near where the pin goes in to put a bolt in to tighten up against the stinger. The bolt has a jam nut to keep it there. I only did this because my bike carrier that plugs in was alway tipping from side to side. I've never noticed any significant slop with a trailer in tow.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

as I previously mentioned, I am probably just over anal about it. I notice mine to the point that if I jam the top shim (a doubled over starter shim) before the trailer is hooked up (weight on the ball) as opposed to after, I can hear it rattle.

I really need to replace the bushings in the trailer tongue (surge brakes) as i think it is just makng it move more that normal, accenting the hitch slop.

shoot me a pic of what you did, if you get a chance. Not a big deal, as I will probably only pull the boat once or twice more before the snow flies.

bri
2001 safari awd.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

OK, here is my solution to eliminate the slop. Now, I was just doing this to keep a bike carrier from flopping side to side. If I was doing this for actual towing, I think I'd weld the nut you see to the the hitch and add a second nut as a jamb nut. (As it sits now, the hitch is actually threaded and the nut is the jamb nut. In my opinion, the steel on the hitch doesn't offer enough thread area to combat the leverage an actual trailer would exert.)

Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

I didn't even think of that. Good plan! I think I may try the same thing. You are probably right about the threads not being enough, but I am thinking I will try it anyways, and once it strips out, I will go ahead and weld a nut.

bri
2001 safari awd.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

rlsllc wrote:Be happy about having some "slop". I have to use a sledge hammer to install my pintle hitch in my 89 van, and press it out with a bottle jack, which broke this time.
My other light duty (shorter shanked) ball mount isn't nearly as bad, only requiring a few raps to remove.
It does seem like the newer hitches have a looser fit.
I know this post is old and such but there is an easier way than pressing it out. take a 10,000 lbs or so tow strap wrap it around a tree then clip both ends to the ball/hook and drive forward. Works like a charm. your mileage may vary yadda yadda so on and so forth.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Re: hitch?

Post by CDGsafari98 »

I know this thread is way old, but i figured I would add this anyway. I just had to have my Hitch taken off because the ball would not come out. and that was after beaing heated with a torch. And doused with all sorts of lubes. So I am looking for a new hitch as well. I actually miss the damn thing.
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"