Gonna Lift it

Topic author
Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

Gonna Lift it

Post by Jersey John »

My wife was looking at pic's on here the other day with me and saw all the lifted vans and asked when was I gonna lift mine :-k so, I am going to order the 4" kit from Overland. :supz:

I also want to regear for the 31's, 4:10's is what i want to run. Question is what year S-10's can I use the front diff out of? I have a 85 S-10 blazer 2.5l w/ 4:10 gears (blown motor)and would like to swap out the gears if poss.

Also will the manual tranfer case fit out of this truck or will I need to find a newer one?

Thanks John
95 GMC Safari SLX "Mr. Cooper" (as my kids call it)

regal200021
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: Gonna Lift it

Post by regal200021 »

grats on going with a lift... as for the s10 gears they should work.... the tcase will work too... the front drive shaft will have to be made not to hard to do if you have a grinder of some sort and a welder .... i just did the tcase swap in to my 95 astro... with parts out of an 89 s10 blazer...

Regal :partyman:

95 astro 4x4
5 inch lift in front and 7 out back all made by me :)
31-11.5x15s tsl swampers
here are the pics....
more pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/regal200021

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

John-PM LiftedAWDAstro.He can give soup to nuts on the whole deal.Hey that's very cool.A wifey telling you to mod the van.Sounds like she is a keeper. \:D/ \:D/
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

GEJ wrote:John-PM LiftedAWDAstro.He can give soup to nuts on the whole deal.Hey that's very cool.A wifey telling you to mod the van.Sounds like she is a keeper. \:D/ \:D/

Nice thread guys. I for one am interested in the all the info, too. I, a, came home to an email about a van for sale...2wd...hmm...we'll see, but I am interested and will follow this thread

BTW, nice van Regal! And, nice wife, Jersey J!
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Jersey John wrote:I also want to regear for the 31's, 4:10's is what i want to run. Question is what year S-10's can I use the front diff out of? I have a 85 S-10 blazer 2.5l w/ 4:10 gears (blown motor)and would like to swap out the gears if poss.

Also will the manual tranfer case fit out of this truck or will I need to find a newer one?
4.10's will be perfect! the 4.10 gears from the S-10 will work fine. The front diff would also work in your 95. You would just need to do something with the axle disconnect. I would look into making it a manual with a posi-lock setup. You can not use the frame mount brackets from the S-10 though as they are different. Just use the diff and axle tube from the passenger side. Use the gears only out of the rear axle.

I would not use the t-case as it is most likely a NP207 and will be much weaker than your BW4472 or a NP231. It also has a cable speedo connection. Look for an 89 or newer NP231 for your van. You need one with a VSS sensor on the tailshaft.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jersey John »

So I could just swap ring &pinion gears with carrier out of the S-10 :-k . That might be the route to go. I think I will leave the stock transfer in for now, there is no big diffrence in fuel milage with the front rear disco'd right? That is the only reason I thought about the t-case swap.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

T.Low wrote:
GEJ wrote:John-PM LiftedAWDAstro.He can give soup to nuts on the whole deal.Hey that's very cool.A wifey telling you to mod the van.Sounds like she is a keeper. \:D/ \:D/

Nice thread guys. I for one am interested in the all the info, too. I, a, came home to an email about a van for sale...2wd...hmm...we'll see, but I am interested and will follow this thread

BTW, nice van Regal! And, nice wife, Jersey J!
Let me know if you will be doing the RWD, did a 5" on mine, can give ya some pros/cons on what to do.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Jersey John wrote:So I could just swap ring &pinion gears with carrier out of the S-10 :-k . That might be the route to go. I think I will leave the stock transfer in for now, there is no big diffrence in fuel milage with the front rear disco'd right? That is the only reason I thought about the t-case swap.
I would use the gears and stick with the stock carriers. By doing this you may get lucky with the gear setup. When you swap them you MUST go through a proper gear setup and make damn sure everything is within spec. What I have done using stock GM gears is use the original rears' carrier, shim(s) and pinion shim(s). You will need a new crush sleeve at the minimum and you will need to setup the carrier preload, pinion preload, pinion depth and backlash.

Leave the stock t-case for now until you feel you need the low range option. With the stock BW4472, you will have the AWD dependability for the winter driving and that case will still work great for off-roading.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jersey John »

I would use the gears and stick with the stock carriers. By doing this you may get lucky with the gear setup. When you swap them you MUST go through a proper gear setup and make damn sure everything is within spec. What I have done using stock GM gears is use the original rears' carrier, shim(s) and pinion shim(s). You will need a new crush sleeve at the minimum and you will need to setup the carrier preload, pinion preload, pinion depth and backlash.

Leave the stock t-case for now until you feel you need the low range option. With the stock BW4472, you will have the AWD dependability for the winter driving and that case will still work great for off-roading.[/quote]

That is going to be the plan. I am hopefully going to order everything this weekend :bounce: . I just need to make sure the other bills are covered first (wife's orders :prayer: ). Hopefully the weather will stay nice enough [-o< so I can use the bike for work while I am doin the van. Thanks for the info, John