Starter/flywheel questions

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
dj_joker_2002
I finally get the smurf thing

Starter/flywheel questions

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

I used the flywheel from the V6 on my v8 swap and then used a starter I had from a previous project, Never thought about the flywheel wne whether its the correct one or not. Anyone know what happens if they are miss matched? Anyone know how many teeth are on the stock flywheel?

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Starter/flywheel questions

Post by Rebel »

If I'm not mistaken, it's 168
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

The wrong starter flywheel set up won't work. If the flywheel is too big for the starter the starter gear will ram the flywheel, if too small it will ether grind or miss the flywheel teeth.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

kc5gxl
I get chills without my van.

Post by kc5gxl »

What the owner of an engine machine shop told me was that the 4.3, 5.0, and 5.7 flexplates are all the same. That is if they are all either for a 1 piece to 1 piece rear seal or a 2 piece to 2 piece rear seal. I asked him because of my ongoing V8 swap. I needed to know.

He said that the 400 sb is different, since the engine is balanced differently than the 350 and smaller engines.

Hope that helps some,

Dan Harriman
Orange, Texas
If at first you don't succeed, maybe you shouldn't try sky diving!