Jacking and Placing on Jack Stands

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
Tobaloba
I am merely driving my van

Jacking and Placing on Jack Stands

Post by Tobaloba »

So I'm terribly afraid of this procedure. I have an AC Delco 2.5 ton floor jack, a set of 2 ton and a set of 4 ton jack stands. Here are my questions:

1. Is each jack stand capable of holding the amount mentioned? In other words, could the 2 ton set hold up to 8,000 lbs? Also, would it be foolish to factor-in the fact that I'm only wanting to hold up the front half of the van and, therefore, discount the rating necessary to do the job? It's not that I'm trying to use the least amount of support. I just want to clarify the truth behind the rating.

2. When I jack up the van, I put the piece of that jack that contacts the van while lifting in the center of a cross beam in front of the oil pan. The garage floor isn't perfectly level, but is fairly level. As I jack the van up, sometimes it hisses as I compress the jack handle as if the pressure is released as I jack it and the van doesn't go higher. This makes me afraid that somethings wrong and the jack may fail any second.

3. When jacking the front of the van, I'd like some confirmation about where I should put the jacks stands. My stands have a U-shaped support (the support that contacts the van), so I put them behind the wheels, at this place that seems to be welded onto the frame, but is hollow. There is a place that has a U-shaped dimple that seems perfect for the jack stands. This area appears folded somehow and welded with about an inch or so of the metal overlapping. I try to position the stand support in the part of the weld that seems overlapping as this seems most reinforced. I'd like some confirmation that this is the best place to put the jack stands.

Wow, I know that's a long read, but I sure need to get this right. I WANNA LIVE!!!!

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Jacking and Placing on Jack Stands

Post by Rileysowner »

I usually put the jack stands under the sub-frame. I have been using 3-ton, but was given a set of 6 ton by my Brother in Law who doesn't use them any longer. They are taller and that is nice. I'm sure others will put in their suggestions as well.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

2 Ton stands are fine. I use a set of 2 tons or some 4 tons which ever is closer to me at the time. A 2 ton jack will hold 4000# the actual breaking weight is probably about 6000#

When I have the front up I place the stands under the subframe or against the lower shock mount on the struts but this placement can be a tad shifty at times and depending on the stands. One of my tricks actually is I have 3 jacks from these vans. One stays in the van the other 2 I widened the base plates on and then I can jack up both sides at once and then leave the van on the jacks and just place the safety stands against the sub frame right beside the jacks.

The other trick that goes with that trick is an impact. They will run the van up on the factory jacks almost as fast as a floor jack.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

When I place my van on jack stands before I go underneath I try to knock the van off them. First just bumping the van, then a shove, then I put my weight into it. If the van doesn't move when I'm trying to knock it down I feel pretty safe under it.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Sounds like everyone has you covered on where to place the jack stands but the hissing sound you hear while jacking up the van needs to be looked at. Is this happening when it reaches full extension or while going up ? Sounds like a seal gone or low on fluid or both and I'd check that out before going underneath to place the stands.
Some would think it's over kill but usually I use 4 jack stands while working under the front. One on each subframe and one under each rocker with no space between van and support on stand. In other words,,I jack the vehicle up, place jack stands and then lower van to sit with full weight on stands. I also usually leave floor jack under vehicle. The reason I leave the floor jack under vehicle is just in case it should fall for whatever reason I would hope to at least be able to call out for Susan to get the damn thing off of me and for her to try and figure out how to use a floor jack at that particular time is not something I feel I could remain calm while giving instructions on how to use.lol :muhaha: Yep,,overkill,,I know.
I also have a problem using the 2 ton stand that have the spot welds on the legs. The first pair I ever had were made this way and I'll never forget working underneath my 55 Chevy putting new suspension parts on and happen to look at these spot welds on the stands. Slid out from under car and bought stands with real welds.
Also,,you should chock your rear wheels while working under your van. Especially so with an uneven garage floor.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I use my ramps for work underneath If I don't have to pull a wheel.
I'm with ya Reb. I lower the vehicle onto jack stands and leave the jack in place. Where safety is concerned I like redundancy cuz my body is not redundant. I've got a 3 ton hydraulic jack with 27" lift limit. I like overkill
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
Tobaloba

Post by Tobaloba »

Sounds like everyone has you covered on where to place the jack stands but the hissing sound you hear while jacking up the van needs to be looked at. Is this happening when it reaches full extension or while going up ? Sounds like a seal gone or low on fluid or both and I'd check that out before going underneath to place the stands.
It does this on the way up. I'll get this jack checked out and research the parts of a jack and how to maintain one. Maybe I can research and post my findings here for someone else who is green like me. Then others can critique or add to my findings.

Also, where would you jack up the rear of the van and where would you place jackstands when doing so?

Finally, when I jacking up the front, the jack slowly rolls. Each time I compress the handle, it rolls a tad. I'm not totally comfortable with this. However, it makes sense a little because the part of the jack contacting the van has to move toward me the higher I jack it. Imagine your arm extended out with your palm up. As you move your hand up, your elbow has to move away from your body. The jack seems to have to do this in order to move under the part of the jack contacting the van. Do you agree or should I be concerned about this? I need to learn how to compress the photos so I can submit pics. I could also put a level on the ground and take a pic to show how level the floor is.

I too use chocks on the wheels not being lifted.

And is it ok to start the van with it on jack stands?

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Tobaloba wrote:
It does this on the way up. I'll get this jack checked out and research the parts of a jack and how to maintain one. Maybe I can research and post my findings here for someone else who is green like me. Then others can critique or add to my findings.

Also, where would you jack up the rear of the van and where would you place jackstands when doing so?

Finally, when I jacking up the front, the jack slowly rolls. Each time I compress the handle, it rolls a tad. I'm not totally comfortable with this. However, it makes sense a little because the part of the jack contacting the van has to move toward me the higher I jack it. Imagine your arm extended out with your palm up. As you move your hand up, your elbow has to move away from your body. The jack seems to have to do this in order to move under the part of the jack contacting the van. Do you agree or should I be concerned about this? I need to learn how to compress the photos so I can submit pics. I could also put a level on the ground and take a pic to show how level the floor is.

I too use chocks on the wheels not being lifted.

And is it ok to start the van with it on jack stands?

You can jack the van up using the bottom of the diff,then place stands under the axles about half way between diff and wheels, or if you have a solid tow hitch you can thro a small chunk of 4x4 ( on its side ) on top of your jack and jack up the middle of your hitch then throw your stands under the sides of the hitch.

Its perfectly normal for the jack to creep ahead slightly while lifting.

Heres a pic of the stands under the sides of the tow hitch...

In this pic you can see where we put some additional stands a little further up for added safety...

Heres a pic showing the point at where I was using the piece of 4x4 under my hitch in the middle just behind the reciever...

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

All jacks have a pressure bypass valve. That is probably what you hear. If the jack works properly (goes up good with each pump and doesn't leak down) then it is good. When they go bad they wont work. When the jack is being raised it travels in an arc. Something has to move with it. Either the jack or the vehicle. I always leave the vehicle in neutral so it can move and not the jack. I want the jack to stay where I place it. For the most part you don't have to crawl under the vehicle to place jack stands. You can just slide them into place. DO NOT buy cheap stands. Your life depends on it. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

DO NOT buy cheap stands. Your life depends on it.

Ol Skip got that right and he's sayin don't get the little spot welded stands. I've never heard of them folding up but has to be cases of this happening out there.
Those that are in Keith's pics are the good ones and good idea on placing a spare set towards the front like they show.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Yuppers everyone said what I would say ... just a lot faster to the post than me hehe. What Rebel mentioned is not an over kill. When I was doing my lift I was so paranoid because of the height I had to bring the Safari to fit in blocks or to get that darn stock shackle out. It fell once but thankfully that was with me outside the vehicle shaking it >.< I promptly got a few more stands and placed in positions.
I like what Zam did - cause that was what I did when I put in my rear-springs. I have a hitch and I used that as well near the middle as he did. Just use you wits and if in doubt sit down and think it over.
Hmmm now about those spot welds gonna go check on mine now :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

uncle-vinny
I am smitten with my van

Post by uncle-vinny »

Always have a backup. If you use jack stands also have the floor jack holding it. I am big on blocking lumber. Keep your eyes open for some one building a deck or railroad tie wall. When they are done look for the scraps and cut offs that get thrown out. Over the years I have gathered a great collection of pressure treated lumber that I use to block up my van in addition to the stands or the floor jack. Takes a little longer but when I am under it and look over at some 4 x 4 or 6x 6 holding it I feel safe. There is no do over or second chance if it falls. When I was young and foolish I had a car fall when I was trying to replace a leaf spring with a bumper jack. I wasn't under it thank God. That cured me.

:guitar: :guitar:

scootermcb

Post by scootermcb »

I agree, blocking lumber is the way to go. I like 4x4 (or bigger) oak for this.
Also, if the surface under your jack stands is soft (like asphalt) put something solid under them, like thick plywood. It really sucks when one side sinks into the ground....
The hissing noiise sounds like either you've neared the upper limit of the jack, or it's low on oil.
Jack stands rated for 2 tons have a working limit of 2 tons-actual breaking limit is about twice that (but never exceed the working limit!!!)
If you need to start the van, use blocking lumber. It's not worth the risk with jack stands.
1989 Astro CS 4.3l 5 pass AM/FM 6CD player

chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by chemist »

Okay, bear with me--I don't know how to attach pics, so I'll link to my flickr account for each pic. Probably saves board space anyway...

In the front, place your jackstands on these, right where that frame comes down like a V:

Now for the rear jackstands, I could be wrong, but I jack the tow hitch or pumpkin and place stands here:

or jack there and place my jackstands on the rear axle.

Okay, lets talk about your equipment. You can make do with the equipment you referenced. It sounds like your 2.5 ton jack is a car jack. Hey, if it gets the vehicle in the air and on the stands, your good. Remember you also have a van jack--and I think the quality is good provided you're on a perfectly level and hard surface (garage). But I wanted height and strength, so I got one of these from Sams Club--recommend you do the same:

It's a 3.5 ton jack, and it doesn't complain.

The jackstands were my first purchase, though. Here are two examples I own:

I used to use the one on the left--it's a 3 ton MVP that's frankly better for something like a Chevy Lumina. It worked fine, but after having my first van roll off the friggin thing when I yanking on a brake drum I got a set of the ones on the right--they're 6 ton stands from Craftsman, and they hold the van great. They don't tilt or wobble and I could hit the van with a sledge--they won't move which is what you want.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I have a set of the ones you show on the left side and use them strickly for backup as a second set while working under my van. A little easier to move around and are lower but the ones on the right are the stands you want doing all the work. I really don't trust the spot welds on the red set as I've mentioned before.

Here's some overkill pics. One is under lower control arm which isn't really a good spot but needed the room to install rack but as you can see also ramps and floorjack. I'm not a trusting person but have never had vehicle fall on me. :muhaha:

Here's another shot using the red stands for backup. When I was installing the rear I moved the stands forward so I wouldn't have to deal with working around them.

VIDEO