New here heres my $200 86 astro *pics*

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

New here heres my $200 86 astro *pics*

Post by original_balzer »

My grandfather bought it new,it was his favorite vehicle. He no longer drives so its the last vehicle he drove. He figured it was used well past its limits but it runs real strong so I gave him $200 for it.

Ok so its a 1986 2wd 4.3 auto (I assume its a 700R4 :withstupid: ) as it has overdrive. It has a little over 77,000 original miles on the ticker. It was Originaly silver with a dark grey rockers, about 3-4 years ago it got a Macco paint job, to the blue you see now.

My grandpa loved this little truck and used it to carry everything he needed to move from fire wood to lawn mowers. Its has a few little problems but over all its still in decent shape. Now that I have it I understand why he loved it so, its actualy fun to drive as it is nimble and comfortable.

My plans are to make it a little more off road freindly. Its a perfect little weekend RV for fishing or just to get out and camp. BUT I already had it stuck on basicaly wet grass with a incline. Im sure better tires would have helped that situation so Ill probably go to an all-terrain when it needs tires. Im not sure it needs a 4wd conversion yet but a little lift and 29-30" tires would be nice, and most likely a limited slip or a locker for the rear. I would like to add a roof rack and a spare tire rack for 1 of the back doors. A retractable canopy on the pass. side would make a nice addition as well.

I just put a new feul pump and filter on it, had some problems that ended up being a bad ground from the body to the gas tank. I still havent located the feul pump relay, I bought a haynes manual for it and it wasnt where the book said its supposed to be. In the end I didnt need to find it anyway.

Now I have a few questions.
1. I have a set of chevy 96 s10 2wd alloy wheels, will they fit?
2. Has anyone modified the floor to put the middle seat long ways along the drivers side facing the sliding door?
3. I had some lift questions but a little reading on this web site has answered most of them other than what spindle it has will a s10 2wd 2" lift spindle work? The reason I ask is I have a freind with a set he said I could have for free if they will work.
4. what would the towing capasity be? Im sure it would handle my 14ft alum fishing boat but what about 2 jet skis or maybe a large 4x4 4wheeler? It has a class 5 recever hitch already on it but I dont know how much is too much.
5. It has composite/fiberglass rear leafs, will steel leafs swap right in?

finally if yall have any sugestions or comments I would love to here them. Ill answer any questions you may have too.
OHHHH and heres a couple pics.
Attachments
ap20-004.jpg
ap20-003.jpg

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: New here heres my $200 86 astro *pics*

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

welcome, and nice van!!

the s-10 wheels will not fit, they are 5x4.75 and astros use the 5x5 bolt pattern same as full-size chevys

the s-10 spindles will not work either, they are different...i was hoping to use my lowered spindles i have for my blazer when i first got my astro, but alas, they are quite different...

the steel springs found on 95+ astros can be swapped so long as you get all the hardware with them...do a search, there's a topic on here showing the swap done...

sounds like you have some good ideas and it looks like you got a really good deal on a great van, hope you have some fun with it...

Topic author
original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

Post by original_balzer »

That sucks :muhaha: I guess it will have to get some black steel fake bead lock wheels or something :supz:

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

The towing capacity will be around 4500-5000# for a RWD shorty, maybe slightly lower with the compaosite springs, someone else will have to confirm. I know my 95 RWD with steels was 5500#. Your hitch would be a CIII hitch, no C5 would be made for these vans, but if it's a 2" hole, then you have plenty to haul what ya need. Steels springs will swap in but you need the front/rear hangers and the "Hat" that fits over springs that bolts the rear to the springs. I thing the one for steels is a little longer than the comp one.
Theres a list on what wheels will fit from other vehicles, sadly S10's/camaros/TA's won't ...I had those coming out of my ears a while back.
If ya need some lift ideas or help, shoot me a PM or email, I lifted my RWD 5" and loaded her up with 31's. pretty nice and I learned some do's/don'ts along the way.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Looks like a good base van. You can find the stock wagon wheel in the yards pretty easy and they look good painted black with chrome lug nuts.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

tim k
I am smitten with my van

Post by tim k »

nice van I love the 86 I've had 3 you will want to put a locker in the rear you'll be amazed how well it gets around with just having one of those
86 safari
96 astro cargo van
97 silverado (new toy)
01 awd safari

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome \:D/ . 200? Nice score. 77k, even better.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Welcome to ASV!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Bikehauler
I am smitten with my van

Post by Bikehauler »

Nice score. I know my 1990 shorty cargo is rated at 5500# towing capacity with the composite leafs. I think the 86 should be the same. If you want to tow anything over 2500# make sure you have a tranny cooler.
Rocke. :canuk:
No longer the proud owner of a.
1990 Astro Cargo shorty. 350 V8, roller cam, flat top pistons, roller rockers, tbi stage 2 chip, built 700r4 tranny. 3:42 open diff (3:73 posi waiting install). Now rollin on new 18's with 235/50 tires.

Delta B.C.
Canada EH!

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Nothing wrong with an 86. Nice and great price.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Leedogg
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Leedogg »

Nice! not bad either for the price. I paid 400 for 2- but both of mine needed repair- and have 190+ thousand miles.