Gas door latch

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Gas door latch

Post by GEJ »

I know this is a common problem with Astro's.My 1994 LT's door latch will release,but when I go to close it the plastic latch doesn't lock the door closed.I would guess it is on a cable of some kind and wanted to know if I can lube it from the outside or how is the cable run??.Do I need to get under the van to get to it or does the pannel inside have to be taken off to get to it?.Is there a common part that fails all the time??. :-k :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Gas door latch

Post by Rebel »

Before I shaved mine I had that problem Gary. My thoughts are that dirt gets in around the release handle on the floor causing the cable to not return to the proper postion to latch door. Seems like I shot some PB in the cable housing around the handle and that took care of it but that was several years back.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rebel wrote:Before I shaved mine I had that problem Gary. My thoughts are that dirt gets in around the release handle on the floor causing the cable to not return to the proper postion to latch door. Seems like I shot some PB in the cable housing around the handle and that took care of it but that was several years back.

How do you get to the cable housing??.From the bottom??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Gary, I can't remember to tell you the truth. Seems like it ran through or along the rocker and up through rear panel to door but not sure. Wish I could be more help but has just been so long since I removed mine. Maybe some of these other guys can steer you in the right direction.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rebel wrote:Gary, I can't remember to tell you the truth. Seems like it ran through or along the rocker and up through rear panel to door but not sure. Wish I could be more help but has just been so long since I removed mine. Maybe some of these other guys can steer you in the right direction.
Rebel-I might have missed it,but I did do a search and didn't find a thread for it.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I've never seen anything posted on the gas door cable before. No pics or anything that I can remember.
Good luck,,you'll get an answer sooner or later I'm sure.

VIDEO

astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrosafari »

heres what i did...
the wire for the latch trigger broke, so i ripped the whole thing out. took the plastic latch off the gas door, and then took the steel piece that hold the door closed, from another gas door and put it on mine along with the other one, so it would hold itself shut tighter.
just the one alone doesnt do good enough without the latch.
it worked the whole time i had the van, except you had to get your fingers under the door to open it...
i was gonna post it so many times but i just forgot...

if you dont understand what im talkin about, next time you get gas, just check what holds it shut, and theres a place for another one right near it.
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

I'm pretty sure that this would help: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/cable_luber Well, that, plus some cable lube.
You will have to take the cable off the van and let it hang vertically. Clamp the tool to the top part of the cable and squirt the lubricant through to the bottom of the cable.
Motorcyclist use this on the throttle cables, and also cable actuated clutches and (if you've got a really old bike) some brake systems as well. Now, I have seen this approach NOT work sometimes, but it's mainly been on dirtbikes. In which case you just replace the cables. The cables weren't so expensive on motorcycles, but I might imagine the stealership isn't so cheap for this part.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

HELP please!!!

My problem is that the door won't open when the lever is pulled. Same problem on both of the 1994 Safari's I've owned. This one started out being just a winter problem, apparently freezing so the cable wouldn't move. Now it's getting iffy even in non-freezing conditions - I have to simultaneously pull the level, and pull on the door with my fingernails - my arms are barely long enough to reach, and in freezing conditions I'm sure this won't work.

My two solutions so far have been: 1) use a little Swiss Army Knife blade and insert between the body and gas door to depress the white plastic closer latch directly which releases the door. This only works if lighting is good, so I keep a flash light in the van. 2) I open the gas fill door before leaving the heated garage in the morning and drive straight to the filling station for fuel. But this doesn't work on road trips in winter months.

So I gather that the cable lube described earlier in this thread might help. Or replacing the cable?

It's a good excuse for never letting anyone else use MY van, but it's annoying, and becoming downright difficult even for me.

Any other advice??

(a veritable vault of info, this site is!!)

Thanks in advance
delsafari

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I ended up spraying the door latch with white greese and that cure it.Now with winter I am going to spray it with LPS 3.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Don't forget silicone lube is your friend in freezing conditions - that crap is great for lots of applications - not just weather stripping - its funny actually because my 2001 doesn't have a locking gas door.... FYI
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

DON
I am smitten with my van

Post by DON »

My gas door is manual. What's up with that?

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

i believe 1994 was the last year for the remote release gas door.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Man, I would like a remote release door. I know with a pry bar someone could still open it, but it would prevent access for most people.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rileysowner wrote:Man, I would like a remote release door. I know with a pry bar someone could still open it, but it would prevent access for most people.

When Justice said 1994 was the last yr for that,I was thinking oh great-I had to buy the last yr it was still a problem.Yeah,my luck. #-o #-o

So to be fair about it Jim,and the above said.You wanta swap doors???. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :muhaha:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer