alternator vs ac compressor...

Topic author
coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

alternator vs ac compressor...

Post by coolen »

i was reading on this site the other day of someone who removed their ac compressor and replaced it with a second alternator. who all has done this? also, is there any drawings/measurments for a special bracket to accomplish this?

i'm very interested in trying this...
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

violent b

Re: alternator vs ac compressor...

Post by violent b »

I've done it, here's proof:

I had to cut part of the a/c mounting bracket to make the new alternator to fit since it was so big. I had a friend make me a mounting bracket out of 1/4" aluminium that I had made a template of. I also had to get a shorter serpentine belt, 97" belt to be exact.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Same question with a slight difference. Would I need to run two alt. to run a 550 watt AC unit ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

if i took my van to a fabricator, would they be able to get the measurments they'll need? the less down time for me the better due to being deputy fire chief. i use my van for all emergencies.

thanks!! that looks awesome.
95 safari AWD

violent b

Post by violent b »

the type of bracket needed will depend on the alternator used. for instance, I used a high output alternator made for a AM General Hummer because of the mounting tabs. A fabricator should be able to help you out. I just used some cardboard to make a template and then my friend traced the shape on the aluminum and cut it out. there are some companies that make universal brackets but I find it easier to use the cardboard (and cheaper).

as for Rebel's question, is the a/c unit designed for 12 volts or are you using an invertor?

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

as for Rebel's question, is the a/c unit designed for 12 volts or are you using an invertor?
using a 1500 watt invertor.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

violent b

Post by violent b »

the invertor at full tilt would pull roughly 104 amps with the van running (14.4 volts). but if the a/c is only 550 watts you're probably looking at around 45 amps, which is still alot to add.

I guess the real question is how you plan on using the a/c unit. only while parked, like at camp sites? if that is the case you would be right on the line on if you needed to upgrade your alternator. if you had a bunch of accessories going at the same time (lights, stereo, ect...) I would say for sure replace the alternator.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thanks for the info.
Would be used while driving only,,that help any with what I might need as far as wiring size, alt. change or whatever ??

Let's move over to Tech section,,I have a thread there

VIDEO

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

i'd probably use a factory alternator for my application. i'm gonna take my van to a fabricator, and see what he has to say/
95 safari AWD

Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

violent b wrote:I've done it, here's proof:

I had to cut part of the a/c mounting bracket to make the new alternator to fit since it was so big. I had a friend make me a mounting bracket out of 1/4" aluminium that I had made a template of. I also had to get a shorter serpentine belt, 97" belt to be exact.
Nice! :)

Do you think 2 alts could kit in the place of the A/C pump?

I need two additional Alts to run my audio setup.. Leaving the stock one in situ.

Thanks
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

violent b

Post by violent b »

using two alternators in the same place as the compressor would be very,very tight fit if it's even possible. you would have to modify the a/c mount even more, probably cutting it down close to the power steering pulley (I think it's the power steering pulley, the one below the a/c).

why don't you upgrade the OE alternator and add just one more alternator in place of the a/c?

Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Ok thanks.

I have 24,000wrms. Wanted to run the 2 extra alt purely for the audio, so it doesn't slow me down and put extra load on when the system isn't in use. They are 350A units each, 2 of them. Luckily i have over 35000CCA of short circuit current available with the Powermaster batterys i'm using , so i'll hope the 700A of charge is going to seem me right :D
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

violent b

Post by violent b »

I doubt the extra alternator will slow you down, but the weight of the audio system will surely will. :yawinkle:

what kind of alternators are you using, the Powermasters? is your van going to be strickly SPL? what are your plans? I'm building my Astro as we speak just to be really loud.

Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Yup, 2 Powermaster SPL Alts. The red powercoated ones, i just happen to be the UK Rep for them :)

I'm putting alot of stuff in mine, it'll be driven too!

14 amps, 12 subs, 16 mids, 16 tweets, 15 sheets of 25mm MDF, 100ft of 1/0 etc etc..

Built for Bassrace and Streetbeat
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

violent b

Post by violent b »

now I see why you want to keep the stock alternator, those SPL alternators are not designed for daily driving.

what audio equipment are you going with? I'm using VIBE equipment from the UK. the company I work for is the first to carry the VIBE stuff and I'm excited to see how well this stuff holds up. I plan on putting it to teh test.