What s the easiest/simplest V* swap into a 98 AWD

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

What s the easiest/simplest V* swap into a 98 AWD

Post by ScottS »

So, if I am going to ever get a V8 into this thing , I need to first identify the donor vehicle that I need to search for

So what am I looking for ? I would like to be as plug and play as possible , and pass emissons- want torque for trailer towing

What year and model GM vehicle am I looking for ? 1500 ? Tahoe ? Suburban ? Etc ETc

I plan to get a donor subframe ( mine is rusty ) and mount the v8 in the new subframe with a rebuilt trans, all new front suspension, halfshafts etc , basilcally all new front end ( going to drive this van for a long time)

Going to do big brakes , etc while I have it apart, and new body mounts while I am at it . Also all new brake lines , gas lines etc

So , what transmission, engine combo woud be the best mate with the chassis ?

Anone got a line on an AWD subframe in non-rusty condition ?

Also , I should add that I will sell the 4.3 , 84k miles runs super , you can hear it run before I take it out , make me an offer , in Cleveland, if anone needs a re-power .
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: What s the easiest/simplest V* swap into a 98 AWD

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The best donor would be any Vortec 5700 from a 1998 1500, tahoe, suburban etc. If you get a donor, try for a 4x4 model and get the tranny too. Then find another BW4472 transfer case and you can have the complete package ready to swap in while still driving your van.

What trailer(s) are you towing that you need the V8 torque rather than just swapping to 4.10 gears (much cheaper than a V8 swap) and pulling the trailer? Is it a fully enclosed trailer with a large frontal area or is it your open trailer hauling your race car? If it just the open trailer hauling a race car, the 4.10 swap will definitely get it done for a LOT less money and work.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

i could be wrong but i think peter still has an awd front clip available from his projects .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

To answer the title of this thread-well one that someone else is paying for. :poke: :yawinkle:

A V8 swap could cost you in the range of $2,500 to $5,000 grand.Yeah there will be guys who say you could spend less and more.

I will agree with Lifted if it is a open trailer and if it's not,alot depends on how long the enclosed trailer is.Just got to use your head on towing and what you use to tow.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Thanks for the comments/thoughts

Let me lay out the scenario and we can figure out the best optons

1. My van (98 AWD) was totaled by the insurace company . Interor is mint , paint is decent , mtor and trans run great, rear air works etc etc only 85k miles. ( not much for a 98 - !)

2. In the accident, which only damaged the hood and the grille/bumper ( plus the windshield now leaks somewhere and the radiator support was pushed back pretty good) I noticed teh subrame was pretty rusty.

3. I have been wanting to build a towmonster to pull an open race car trailer. Figure 4,000 lbs. Not much frontal area.

One option was to get a new subframe , install a v8 , and kill two bids with one stone . I could have all new rebuilt steerng and suspension and a new crate motor or maybe a low mileage motor. Put the big brakes on , new brake lines, fuel lines etc and I shoudl have a pretty reliable vehicle.

THe opton that was brought up was to put lower gears in teh rear end ( a good idea since I want to replace the rear axle anyways because the brackets the leaf springs attach too are too rusty ) .

I like ths idea too, but would still want to replace the subframe. And I still need to fix or replace the radiator support, the shroud, the AC pump , the radiator , AC condenser etc.

I coudl get a crate 4.3 and a new ( different) subframe and put the 4.10's in the rear I guess I guess. What woudl happen to my mileage with the 4.10 set up ? I also thought the v8* would get better mileage

Anyways things I have to replace either way

1. Subframe ( rusty ) control arms rusty too
2. Rad Support
3. Rear Axle
4. Radiator
5. Shroud
6. Reseal Windshield
7/ Rebuild steering , ball joints , driveshafts , front wheel bearings ( I just want it all new)
8. Big brakes all around
9. new brake and gas lines ( rusty)
10. AC Compressor on the way out

So since I was going to have the subframe out anyways , I thought maybe a v8 would do the trick. No reason, though I couldn't move my v6 to a new subrame.

And if I buy another 10 year old van , I will have mostly the same issues to deal with anyways
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

It really boils down to a question of how much cash are you budgeting for this project. Sounds like you are going to have around $10k to do what you want. But you will have one heck of a nice tow monster van! :supz:

The only real difference in the total cost is the price of the V8. You are basically going to rebuild the entire van so I say spend the extra cash on the V8. The 4.10 gears will pull your trailer and car fine and will even pull hills great. I would estimate you would get 13 - 15 mpg towing with the 4.3. The 350 should get that if not a little more with the 3.42's. It is very impressive how well the 4.3's pull with a nice set of 4.10 gears. I think 4.10's would probably be a waste on a 350 equipped van but don't know for sure.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Did you ever think about just buying a full size van with a V8 in it?
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Thought about the full size van but have to have a Strofari . Only vehicle I want. Besides my corvairs \:D/

Heres a shot putting the drivetrain back in the 66. This is the car that will get hauled around by the Safari.

That 98 looks nice, that might solve my problems ?

The Ins Co. gave me $4k to replce the van, so I figured if I put that money back into the van I am not out anything . A crate 350 can be had for approx 2k ?
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

ScottS wrote:The Ins Co. gave me $4k to replce the van, so I figured if I put that money back into the van I am not out anything . A crate 350 can be had for approx 2k ?
For all the work you want to do to your 98, $4k won't cover it! You would definitely be much further ahead buying another 98 AWD that has a great body and is not all rusted underneath. Then you can spend some cash upgrading the steering and driveline parts as needed.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

fingernipp
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by fingernipp »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
ScottS wrote:The Ins Co. gave me $4k to replce the van, so I figured if I put that money back into the van I am not out anything . A crate 350 can be had for approx 2k ?
For all the work you want to do to your 98, $4k won't cover it! You would definitely be much further ahead buying another 98 AWD that has a great body and is not all rusted underneath. Then you can spend some cash upgrading the steering and driveline parts as needed.
I remember a while back there was always several AWD astros on ebay with blown motors. You could probably pick one up for very cheap and do your motor swap. Seems to be luck of the draw with the rusty subframes though. My 97 subframe looks like a lost anchor.... all it needs is some plants growing on it and maybe some crustations. No rust on the body though...not even underneath.

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

I know where there is a non-rusted awd sub-frame.I dont know where you are, but I'm in Florida.
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Or, you could simply buy ZZ for $10K. You'd have to replace the heads, as the GM-sponsored rebuild under warranty had them shave the heads which bumped up the compression ratio a bit too much. She'll occasionally ping when pulling out from a dead stop.
I'm positive you could sell the existing heads on Ebay for a good amount, there's nuthin' wrong with them. My 502 in a 4000lbs car prolly wouldn't ping at all.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Peter, I hear rumors (for you , rumours) that you have an AWD subframe ?
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

"Had". Sold it for the price of two torsion bars this spring!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Bummer - Thanks for the reply, I will keep looking .
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD