Fuse #18 blows

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Fuse #18 blows

Post by Water Boy »

Found this on another GM site and thought it could help some one here one day.
It is from:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/ ... lem-62595/

Quoting
2000 Astro Van Electrical problem
My 2000 Astro van has a blown #18 fuse. This controls the VCM-Ing3, VCM-Brake, Cruise Stepper Motor Signal and ATC module.

The car runs fine but the following guages are out: Temperature, Fuel and Cruise Control, The PRNDL red indicator light goes out after shifting

The follow Light are on: Battery, ABS, Low Fuel.

Any thoughts on what module could be causing this?
Quoting
Quoting>
Try this site.
Nothing but Astros/Safaris.
http://astrosafarivans.org/
Quoting>
Quoting>>

I have now fixed this problem. I had to buy a GM service manual and spent about 3 days tracking down all the wiring harnesses, connectors and modules. It ended up being a wiring failure that was a result of poor quality control at the time the car was built.
Quoting>>

08/14/2008
Here is his follow up to the actual problem he found.
Quoting>>>
The wiring problem was related to wiring coming off the N3??? junction on the fuse box. The wire splits into 2 circuits. One the wires is s loose unbundled wire and runs to the convience center terminal block on the firewall inside the engine compartment. During vehicle assy the wire was caught by the corner of the convience center terminal block and pinched against the wire wall. After 8 years of vibration the insulation cut through and shorted against the firewall.

To fix the problem you will need loose the fuse box and trace down the correct N3 brown wire. Loose the convince center from inside the engine compartment. Have someone slight push the convience center in and hold it. You will be able to the flip the wire in front on the convience center terminal block and fix the problem.
Quoting>>>
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.