Hard to start my van from tropical storm fay.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
astrogus
I am smitten with my van

Hard to start my van from tropical storm fay.

Post by astrogus »

Here in florida we got fay pounding us hard with rain. Well my question is i went out during the storm to go for an adventure see how bad it is cause im an idiot lol. Well when i first hoped in my van and tried to start her it cranked a good 10 times before it started. My guess is cracked or loose distributor cap? Or maybe burnt spark plug wires? Anything else possible? Any help will be greatly appreciated since its gonna be a wet one here for awhile. Thanks
1997 Astro LS 152k

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: Hard to start my van from tropical storm fay.

Post by 6spd_monte »

Maybe it's karma or whatever trying to keep you from getting hurt! :poke:
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
astrogus
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrogus »

Possibly but it eventually started, But i didnt make it far before i came to water almost up to my hood so i turned around. Dont need to water lock my engine over curiousity. Its not the wind thats the problem it's only like 30-50 mph winds its the 3-5 1/2 lakes for roads here.
1997 Astro LS 152k

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

astrogus wrote:Possibly but it eventually started, But i didnt make it far before i came to water almost up to my hood so i turned around. Dont need to water lock my engine over curiousity. Its not the wind thats the problem it's only like 30-50 mph winds its the 3-5 1/2 lakes for roads here.

Yeah-the gators don't care for that kind of weather either. :yawinkle:At one point they are just taking a nap and the next thing they know,they end up in someones pool with a dumb guy trying to poke them. :muhaha: :muhaha:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

It's a problem with the electronics. Here in Orlando there's no flooding but plenty wet. My van runs just about as perfectly as you could want but yesterday on my way to work I felt it missing a bit. It seems to be a common problem. One day when I feel real motivated I'm going to insulate some wiring a bit better than what the factory did. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

nitropyro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by nitropyro »

yeah it has moisture in the cap/rotor change them out and all problems will be solved. i recommend using ac delco or you will be doing it again in about 30k and i recommend doing plugs and wires at the same time.
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's