I think I might need another starter...

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

I think I might need another starter...

Post by astronut74 »

I have noticed the last few times I've started the van that it sounds a bit more "harsh" that first instant the starter is cranked over. Then this evening leaving work, I went to crank it over and it just died. It actually sounded like it was free spinning before it abruptly stopped. I cranked it over again and it started no problem (though it still sound harsh)

This is a fairly new starter, I just replaced it about 1 1/2 years ago. A brand new one too, not a rebuild. But unfortunately, I had to drive through some pretty deep water recently thanks to a tropical storm and I'm starting to think it's got a little corrosion in it now.

Another thought I'm having is maybe I just need to upgrade my grounds. It dims the lights when I crank the starter over. Couldn't hurt to upgrade them anyways I guess...

So what do you think?
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: I think I might need another starter...

Post by Cobra »

true can't hurt to upgrade but the dimming lights thing worries me, mine dimmed them to the point of hard to see odometer. then everything went out the last time it cranked.when the dash lights first started to dim on start i first checked the voltage on battery to see if it was low it was ok a week later it died in the underground of a wal-mart.....
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by coolen »

yup, clean up the connections, if that don't help, get a different starter. if it's dimming your lights, it's certainly suckin' too much power.
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

I vote for cleaning up the connections at the battery. I replaced a starter a few years ago, when I went to start it, it still wouldn't turn over... Turns out I should have cleaned the negative post off with a wire brush :poke:
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Connections at the battery is always the first place I check. They are fine. I actually replaced the starter 2 weeks ago. What a night mare that was, I had to walk 6 miles to get the starter, when I go to put it on, it's the wrong one!!
The problem was the starter was turning over just fine, it just wasn't kicking out to engage the flywheel. It started messing up right after a tropical storm went through here. I had to drive through a few deep puddles, so I imagine water and dirt or mud got in the starter causing it to act up.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater