hacking off the top

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

hacking off the top

Post by pengyou »

I just went to the local U-pull it to see what they had in the way of Astro parts. I noticed that they had a number of van conversions that had the fiberglass high tops. The price on them? $50 but would probably take half a days later to get it off the van. The yard people said that sometimes they get the Astro van conversions in also, with the high top.

My beautiful, blue Astro baby has a standard top but I really want it to have one of the "bubble tops" like on this webpage: http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantops ... topsCA.htm

If I pick up one of these - hopefully used for $50 - what do I need to do to the van when I cut the roof off to maintain the structural integrity of the van? I am sure it will be quite a bit of work, but to be honest, it sounds really fun. I know that one possible answer is to just buy a used one and sell mine but I have not seen anything that has as nice a body and interior as my van (which I got for $1500) that has a bubble top. I also am hoping to convert the bubble top so that it is a pop top..yes, I am a dreamer and planner :) I am making the design now, so there is flexibility. Because I am going (hoping) to make it a pop top I probably will not cut the whole roof off, but probably an area that covers from just behind the middle seats to just behind the front two seats. Would a roll bar be necessary? Or some steel reinforcement forming a lip around the opening?

This is an important issue for me. To be honest, one of the reasons why I did not wait for a van conversion is that I have read reports of accidents that conversions have been in and the results were not pretty. Most of the tops are put on with sheet metal screws and when the vehicle is torqued by a collision, even if it does not turn over, the tops usually are separated from the vehicle and people have been thrown out :(

If I am being as clear as mud, don't be afraid to say so :)
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

Re: hacking off the top

Post by original_balzer »

I would look at what the van you get the top off from has for added support. I really dont think they added any extra support. If your going to make it a pop up and the hole is dramatically smaller than cutting the whole roof out I doubt you would need any more .

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Here is a thread that a member here(T-low) just did a pop top conversion.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3091

As you read it,You will find it isn't a cheap conversion,yet well worth it.

This is a company that did build camper Astro's which is Provans and years ago built hard top RV's and pop top versions.The hard top ones are the XL version and the pop top ones are the GT version.Pic'ed is a XL.But for them you can expect to spend from $4500 to $12,000.

My high top I can almost stand up in it.(opertive word almost. ](*,) )If I was to do all over again,I would have looked farther for a wheelchair raised roof Astro.Now you do understand these raised roof vans effect gas mileage.It is not a cake and eat it too result.Here is a pic of what seems to be a taller top than mine.

http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR_Inc/Mini_Van_Tops.html#15

Lastly here is a link about high tops.Read the part about high tops.

http://www.conversion-vans.net/parts/13 ... -tops.html

So if you want to find a high top,look for the tallest used one you can find.But again,keep in mind your gas mileage is going to suffer.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

How much will gas mileage suffer? 10%?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

cut the roof off both vans about half way up the pillars, then just weld the entire new roof and pillars onto the pillars of your van. Roof, seals, reinforcement, all stays intact.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

T.Low wrote:cut the roof off both vans about half way up the pillars, then just weld the entire new roof and pillars onto the pillars of your van. Roof, seals, reinforcement, all stays intact.
T-Low,I am not following what you are saying.Could you explain farther??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Two things.

1) If you smash hard enought to rip the roof off I would think the roof would be the least of your problems.
2) If your blown out you weren't wearing a seatbelt or the seat ripped out. Again the roof would be the least of your problems.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

When I was hanging arond bugging the local VW repair shop guru about installing my own pop top, he told me thats what VW bus guys have done.

The pillars that go from the fender up between the windows to the roof. Cut them at the bottom (aka bottom of the window) or half way up the pillar. in the pop top there is reinforcement, so instead of cutting a hole in the roof and trying to get the hole correct and the reinforcemnet correct, just take the entire roof intact and cut it off at the feet, then weld it to your van that you cut the same way.

Sorry G, don't know any other way to 'splain it. :-k

Edit: whose the guy who cut the back of his astro roof off to make it into a pickup? Cut it off at that height but all the way around the van. The VW guy said to cut it a little higher on the pillars...
Where's your van now?, I'll show ya what I mean! :muhaha:
ImageImageImageImage

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

As far as finding a conversion van, I know of one particular numnut who's 1996 conversion van is in pretty good shape and simply needs a v-8 swap to be performed. This members' wife removed the old engine, but hasn't had time to complete the swap due to other obligations such as a full-time job and rasing the kids. The memeber himself could "theoretically" finish the job, were he to be equipped with the adequate knowledge and dexterity to perfom such a swap. :butthead:
Who knows, you could prolly snag this van for peanuts! :whistle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

peter wrote:As far as finding a conversion van, I know of one particular numnut who's 1996 conversion van is in pretty good shape and simply needs a v-8 swap to be performed. This members' wife removed the old engine, but hasn't had time to complete the swap due to other obligations such as a full-time job and rasing the kids. The memeber himself could "theoretically" finish the job, were he to be equipped with the adequate knowledge and dexterity to perfom such a swap. :butthead:

Orrrrrrrrr-Peter you could....Tramper...........well pm sent. :poke: :yawinkle:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

peter wrote:As far as finding a conversion van, I know of one particular numnut who's 1996 conversion van is in pretty good shape and simply needs a v-8 swap to be performed. This members' wife removed the old engine, but hasn't had time to complete the swap due to other obligations such as a full-time job and rasing the kids. The memeber himself could "theoretically" finish the job, were he to be equipped with the adequate knowledge and dexterity to perfom such a swap. :butthead:

Yeah, I heard this same guy's wife just went out and bought herself a sweet little sporty '05 Mazda MPV van cause she was tired of waitin' on him. She won't even let him drive it! Tells him "go drive you own van!" :muhaha:

As for your comments Peter, I probably shouldn't be speaking for the person you are talking about, but I woud guess he would ask you to kiss his posterior..... But I'm just guessing..... :butthead:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

As for your comments Peter, I probably shouldn't be speaking for the person you are talking about, but I woud guess he would ask you to kiss his posterior..... But I'm just guessing..... :butthead:[/quote]

Diplomatic...I vote for mdmead for secretary of state. Who will second it?

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

pengyou wrote:As for your comments Peter, I probably shouldn't be speaking for the person you are talking about, but I woud guess he would ask you to kiss his posterior..... But I'm just guessing..... :butthead:
Diplomatic...I vote for mdmead for secretary of state. Who will second it?[/quote]

I'm not so sure, apparently he has a hard time closeing a deal... :poke: We already have a bunch of undone US projects all over the world...come to think of it, your right, he's perfect for the job! I'm behind ya all the way Matt!
ImageImageImageImage

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Well...for posterior's sake...I should say that I appreciate all of - well almost all of ;) - your comments. I understand the idea about cutting and welding but I do not have these skills. If I make a mistake trying there there is no amount of duct tape that is going to help me. I think I will go back to the drawing board for a while on this and see what comes up.