I have gotten sick

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

I have gotten sick

Post by GEJ »

While I took 10 days of vacation time last week I decided to check why for sometime I haven't been feeling very well.

In my history I have had two stents put into my heart and suffer from arthritis from head to foot.

The stents date back to about two yrs before I first signed on to the old site where during chat rm nights I would say that there where some issues that I was going to look into and never did.The costs for the stents where uninsured and the scripts where to maintain just out of site.So for about 5yrs I have been on and off those prescriptions.

My whole life I have done whatever I wanted,ate what I wanted,smoked because I wanted-Kind of get the picture??.No wife,grandchildren,free spirit.

What scares the living crap out of me is those visions of people(older)seen on TV when they cannot afford to live and have no insurance with like 10 to 20 prescriptions they are forced to try to go to Canada for.A walking medicine cabinet.Portions of food that is so foreign to my life style I can't even conceive ever doing that.I currently have insurance,but with the way the economy is going,who knows how long that job will last.That is said with having been there going on 6yrs.Hell,I tried to get help with the arthritis and was given the wrong dose by the pharmacy needing to rush to a emergency to check to permanent liver damage.I said that I wasn't going to chance that again and was somewhat able to control that with over the counter Aleve.

So lately I have been I have been sharing what have been going on with me with PM's with some close members and Admins who I have known for yrs.I needed to prove to myself that I wasn't just whining again and that I was in fact following threw with checking things out.

So all this said-I went to my primary doctor and to get blood test done.

The results are somewhat in.

It was found that I have type II diabetes needing for now to treat with pills and waiting to see if it can be controlled that way without needing injections.A controlled diet to which I will find out what that is all about on Monday.The threat is it could result in loss of sight,loss of legs/toes etc.Yeah I know most say this is no big deal and most say they know tons of people who live normal lives.There is no cure.For me,living a free wheeling life style,I feel trap.All I wanted was my life as it was doing whatever I wanted and now after all these yrs of hard work,that with this tied to pills or shots,that is not to be.Damm it.

The other thing was found is high blood pressure.Yeah more pills. ](*,)

After going to see the heart doctor I go for a trend mill stress test on Tuesday where they try to induce chest pains tracking it injecting radioactive fluids.I expect to fail that.If they tell me I need another stent I plan on telling them to treat it medically.Even with my co-pay insurance it would put me yrs behind.I woke up today and you gotta kind of pick your battles not to become "that walking medicine cabinet".

In ten frigging days I have gone from a bottle of Aleve on my computer table to six prescription bottles.

This it a OT section and I needed to share this with my ASV family.I have always felt the site is surely about vans,but more importantly it is about people.

Now it is ON with the build of Ole Yellar,redoing my Fleamarket business,and ALL the plans I have talked about over all these yrs.I do not plan in any way to go quietly and have any health issues stand in my way.I just don't want to suffer in the end with a loss of sight or anything like that.I am going to pick my battles to fight to get to the goals I always want.Now I am ticked off about all this. )>) )>)

Well rant over and thanks for letting me vent some folks.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Rileysowner

Re: I have gotten sick

Post by Rileysowner »

Wow! I'm sad to hear that.

The complications from diabetes, that is the loss of sight, fingers, toes, etc., are almost all because of not watching one's blood sugar closely. Stick to the diet, I mean really stick to the diet, and test your blood sugar often to keep it below where the doc says the max is, and you should be able to avoid that. My grandparents had it for as long as I could remember and my grandmother who was very careful to keep her blood sugar under control never had any of the complications, not a one, where as my grandfather, who would occasionally cheat and not watch his sugar as carefully, had some. But, even he was much more careful than a lot of people I know who had it. It can be very dangerous if not watched carefully, but it is also very manageable with diet and the other thing that you (and I) don't do as we should, exercise. While not curable, if you lose weight, you may get to a point where you won't even need medication, but just have to follow the diet carefully. I have a cousin with diabetes who has not had to use medication to control is for years now. Not cured in the sense of being able to eat whatever she wants, but she is completely med and symptom free as long as she watches what she eats and keeps active.

Keep us up to date, as it sounds like this will require major changes on your part, and maybe we can encourage you.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Gary, the plain fact is we are not 18 anymore. Things can change quickly for us old guys. Take the health issues seriously. Do the research. Don't take what the Drs. say as the gospel. They can and do make mistakes. Do the research. You need to know enough so that you can ask the right questions. Did I say "DO THE RESEARCH"? Be willing to admit and accept that you can not live the "Free Spirit" lifestyle anymore. You can still live a very productive life with these problems. Attitude plays a big part. We're all pulling for you. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Bubbathegimp
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bubbathegimp »

Diabetes Sux. Was diagnosed with it while going through all that other stuff at the time. after I got out of the hospital they wanted to start me on the new medication Januvia, at a cost of over $300.00 bux a month. Don't let them! There was a study a while back that the old standby's were as good if not BETTER than the newer pills that they ream you for at a premium with no generics available.

On the old reliable's where generics have been out for years and are no longer "Profitable" for the original pharmaceutical lab I can get a months supply of Diabeta and Metformin from krogers for $12.00 TOTAL.

Also DO NOT let them put you on LANTIS long acting insulin. I know of several people (my wife included) that started experiencing kidney failure after going on lantis. after they were removed from it their kidneys started returning to normal but with some residual damage. a type they refer to as 70/30 )two different manufacturs) works well and I don't know of anybody that has had these kind of problems using it.
Still Kickin...

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Wow, G.

These guys have given good advice, better than anything I can say, except that of course we're rootin for ya.
There is a guy on my hockey team that is 47 and diabetic. I didn't know it until I saw a Sprite and Snickers bar on the water bottle rack on the bench and shouted "who's haveing the frikin picnic over here and where's mine?" My buddy told me and showed me a monitor that he wears on a belt that is hooked to his insides...and he's out there playing hockey with us, for crying out loud.

It seems that once we finally learn how to hit life's fast balls, it starts throwing curves and knuckle balls at us and we gotta start figuring everything out all over again. You've got too much to give to slow down too much anytime soon, so we'll be seeing you around, G.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

i've never met you personally but can tell you're a fighter. keep up the fight. i can confidently say you've got the ASV family in your corner.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Chin Up! We're pulling for ya!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Thanks all for your post replies and those of you to take the time for a view.

Bubba-one of them is in fact Metformin.

For me,I had gotten so used to feeling as I have,that was what I thought was

normal.

I'm told denial is typical for people with heart problems.What compounds it is the

arthritis masking what is going on with me and not being able to I.D. which is what.

The reality of having multi prescriptions is a two page sheet given for each of

warnings about side effects.If it is one or two-not so bad,but once you get to six,I

kind of lost track of which side effect is associated to which drug.Some of the side

effects are permanent and serious like the one I described for arthritis.It rapidity

becomes very clear that the drug manufactures,doctor,pharmacy,all by publishing

the side effects and having you sign for the drug does not want to be held liable.

For the community in general,I started this thread to tell you about what is going

on with me,one of it's members.On the old site I remember threads like this that

turned into the op looking for financial support from the community.I remember

reading them and saying to myself oh no.I want to make this abundantly clear that

is not now nor ever will be what this thread is about.

The upside is this situation is pushing me harder to get done the projects I have on

hand.

Thanks all again,
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

hang in there Gary,
astrozam's sig hit home with me right after he changed it. something like, "it's 09 get on with it, you ain't getting any younger" . I'm still a youngster, turn 50 later this year.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You hang in there Gary and take care of yourself as best you can. You haven't had it since your were a kid, like my Brother so you're good for another 30 years. No joke,,take care as best you can Gary.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Keep your Chin-Up Gary.... But you have to make a healthy change for your life. Quit smoking, cook and eat low fat healthier foods and get some exercise, walking, or go joggin`or ride a bicycle every day....

You are Not too old, to make a lifestyle change....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

See Gary , it ain't just me tellin ya you can do it . don't worry about the insurance bills , get your self better then worry about it . I've been diabetic now for 6 years & have been on 4 meds for it , with no real side effects . & as with me & you will too, as you loose weight & eat right , you might even be able to manage it without meds . i'm down from 4 meds to 2 now & its getting better every day . YOU CAN DO THIS !!!! like skip said , do the research & learn all you can to help you . you know how to reach me if you have questions .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Nuclear heart stress tests completed today and awaiting tests results.Sure are getting tired of chasing after doctor/test appointments.Hopefully this will be the last of that for awhile.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Don't count on it Bud !!! they got ahold of yer a$$ now & thier gonna keep pokin & proddin ya . :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

BTDT #-o #-o #-o
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

skippy wrote:Don't count on it Bud !!! they got ahold of yer a$$ now & thier gonna keep pokin & proddin ya . :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

BTDT #-o #-o #-o
Well Skippy,I assure you they ant getting onto there :butthead: :yikes: :muhaha: :muhaha:

BTW:At the place where the nuclear stress test is done there is a sign on the wall.If you want to leave the country to ask for paperwork to show you have had the tests done because you might trip security alarms for the next 30 days.Soooooooo,It seems I have a new glow about me. :-k 8-[ :yawinkle:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer